Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 03:14 PM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea am working hard, call working smart as you call it. Its friday and all my projects are done and being implemented now. Just won a 2.3 million dollar contract for PCI-DD compliance project for the military.
So you're just sitting around milking the clock? How hard are you working when you are posting here?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
Well yea, i havent work min wage in over 25 years when it was 4.25. I worked hard, went to school, got a trade, 2 trades actually, and bust my arse off to get where i am. Did it all without the need of help from my parents, or by kissing arse. And dang sure didnt require me to work 2 jobs, as i learn to budget my checks. Thus why i have zero history, another story another day... Brought up, you pay cash for the small and only take out loans for things that make you or get you to money, like a car. No need to add debt when its not needed, but again another story another day about that bs. So to tell me i am lazy and dont work hard to get where i am now, is a insult.

Far difference between the working class vs the rich.. and that is work and earning our way through life.
So you feel insulted yet freely insult others that you only think didn't work hard to get ahead?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,489,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So if you bills are paid, why are you always complaining how you can't buy a house and how unfair it is? Seems like life is cruising along just fine.
You're working in a cubical? Why don't you go out and do real work like you espouse like digging ditches or being a roofer? Those are the hard workers, not sitting in a cubical.

So you think owners kids starting at the bottom are paid $200k a year right off the bat?
The ultimate in hypocrisy isn’t it ?

Old 06-22-2018, 03:32 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
By that measure, let's say the minimum wage worker DID earn enough for that apartment. What if THEY lose their job? Are you now demanding that employers keep people working, to ensure they have a roof over their heads?

Your scenarios are called "life".

Life means if your roommate loses his job, he either gets another, or he moves out and you get another roommate.

Life means that you get life insurance, that provides for your family in case of untimely death.

Cue the excuses.......
Life is also when public opinion decides to raise the MW, then you deal with it, not make up excuses.

If prices go up elsewhere, you deal with it, not make up excuses

If you can't find enough employees to work your place, then perhaps you may need to up your wages, or find out what's wrong. Again, not make up excuses.

Cuts both ways

Old 06-22-2018, 03:33 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/m...174600615.html

Many minimum-wage workers can't even afford a modest one-bedroom apartment, according to the National Low Income Housing Coalition's annual report.
The national housing wage for a modest one-bedroom apartment is $17.90, while the federal minimum wage is $7.25.
A low-income worker earning the federal minimum wage would need 2.5 jobs to afford a one-bedroom apartment.
Who cares? The entire minimum wage debate is nothing more than a dog whistle argument.

Looking at data from two years ago, before the economy hit full employment, 0.8% of hourly wage employees earned the minimum wage. Another 1.8% earned below minimum wage, but those are workers reliant on tips such as servers, which means they typically earn considerably above minimum wage after tip income is considered. When I waited tables, I loved working for tips. I could make a lot in a night.

Moving on, 50% of those earning minimum wage or less were under 25. In other words, high schoolers and college kids. How many of those earning tips are left unsaid, but I'm pretty sure it's a sizable amount.

Heck, my 19-year-old son works in a restaurant while he takes his gap year. Started out at minimum wage and now earns $12.50 an hour. That's because he could be relied upon to get to work every morning at 6:30, open the restaurant, and not screw up. If his boss asked him to do something, he did it. Now, he manages 30- and 40-year-olds.

In other words, the adult full-time minimum wage worker is incredibly rare. And, to be perfectly honest, likely deserved. If you are a healthy 30-year-old earning minimum wage without the benefit of tip income, then you have made some seriously dumb decisions in your life. Either by being a crappy employee, not learning anything on the job, or sticking with a terrible job. And those are not things I feel like subsidizing with largesse.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:41 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,918,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Who cares? The entire minimum wage debate is nothing more than a dog whistle argument.

Looking at data from two years ago, before the economy hit full employment, 0.8% of hourly wage employees earned the minimum wage. Another 1.8% earned below minimum wage, but those are workers reliant on tips such as servers, which means they typically earn considerably above minimum wage after tip income is considered. When I waited tables, I loved working for tips. I could make a lot in a night.

Moving on, 50% of those earning minimum wage or less were under 25. In other words, high schoolers and college kids. How many of those earning tips are left unsaid, but I'm pretty sure it's a sizable amount.

Heck, my 19-year-old son works in a restaurant while he takes his gap year. Started out at minimum wage and now earns $12.50 an hour. That's because he could be relied upon to get to work every morning at 6:30, open the restaurant, and not screw up. If his boss asked him to do something, he did it. Now, he manages 30- and 40-year-olds.

In other words, the adult full-time minimum wage worker is incredibly rare. And, to be perfectly honest, likely deserved. If you are a healthy 30-year-old earning minimum wage without the benefit of tip income, then you have made some seriously dumb decisions in your life. Either by being a crappy employee, not learning anything on the job, or sticking with a terrible job. And those are not things I feel like subsidizing with largesse.

Got to remember, those on SS can only work so much or make so much so you will see some older adults along with kids working min wage jobs..

Old 06-22-2018, 03:46 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times
Quote:
Got to remember, those on SS can only work so much or make so much so you will see some older adults along with kids working min wage jobs..
A very tiny percentage. Certainly not a reason to raise the minimum wage in this country.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So if you bills are paid, why are you always complaining how you can't buy a house and how unfair it is? Seems like life is cruising along just fine.
You're working in a cubical? Why don't you go out and do real work like you espouse like digging ditches or being a roofer? Those are the hard workers, not sitting in a cubical.

So you think owners kids starting at the bottom are paid $200k a year right off the bat?

Dont work in a cubical, just a expression.. Actually work in a open table environment with PM,PC, depending on project we have the company controller with us. I have dug ditches, and not for myself. What you think my first job was, sitting behind a register? Nope.. working for a local trench company laying down cable lines in a small community. When that was done, help out at the local marina during the summer repairing boats. I got my hands dirty and knew that i could find a better job, and i got a trade. Even got another trade for back up. But again you dont know me enough to judge me about real work. Reason i cant get a house is because of the eff up credit scoring system. But thats the game we have to play right.. a GAME.

Actually, i know a ceo that does pay his kids very well, and all they do is just sit around in a office playing on the xbox. Every now and then they pop their head out of the office and go get lunch and come back and fake smile and back in the office they go. Dont do nothing, and reason why i left them years ago. Recently did a side project for a grocery store here in austin, owner pays his 2 sons 100k a year for having title as manager, when they dont even do anything. Mean while his actually store manager, that does the work gets paid 56k a year and looking for a new job, when he found out what the kids are getting paid.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Life is also when public opinion decides to raise the MW, then you deal with it, not make up excuses.

If prices go up elsewhere, you deal with it, not make up excuses

If you can't find enough employees to work your place, then perhaps you may need to up your wages, or find out what's wrong. Again, not make up excuses.

Cuts both ways

Yes i actually agree, but almost. You can still keep wages up and cost low, not keep cost high and wages low.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So you feel insulted yet freely insult others that you only think didn't work hard to get ahead?
O i am sure lot of have worked hard doing something, its those that didnt work and do nothing that you see daily walking around down town and rubbing their family wealth in the working man face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics