Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2018, 11:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,145,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think it is Amazon that has kept the USPS from going broke. But now Amazon is building their own delivery service. Once that is completed, Amazon won't need the USPS.
I place at least 100 orders/year at Amazon, and recently almost all their USPS deliveries are handed to USPS only for the final leg, handed to my nearest main post office to let the letter carries or delivery drivers do the last segment.

The above only applies to orders fulfilled by Amazon. Independent sellers on Amazon continue to use conventional services.

I think it would require too large an infrastructure for Amazon do do the last leg, but it's clear the last leg is the only part they intend to continue handing to USPS.

That stuff about drones was PR/SF but maybe in 20 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 12:23 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I place at least 100 orders/year at Amazon, and recently almost all their USPS deliveries are handed to USPS only for the final leg, handed to my nearest main post office to let the letter carries or delivery drivers do the last segment.

The above only applies to orders fulfilled by Amazon. Independent sellers on Amazon continue to use conventional services.

I think it would require too large an infrastructure for Amazon do do the last leg, but it's clear the last leg is the only part they intend to continue handing to USPS.

That stuff about drones was PR/SF but maybe in 20 years...
Actually more and more independent sellers are using Fulfillment by Amazon. I shop on eBay, not Amazon, but half the stuff I buy shows up in Amazon Prime packaging. The service is impressive too. Lately I have been getting many of my items within 24 hours. If I order in the morning, it leaves the Amazon warehouse that same day. It's delivered to my local Post Office early the next morning, and my mailman delivers it to my box by noon, and I live out in the boondocks. That will keep local mailmen in jobs for now, but what happens when Amazon decides to start delivering the last mile themselves?

Old 10-13-2018, 12:27 PM

That's why I stated fulfilled by Amazon. I agree that many if not most sellers use Amazon's fulfillment program. I select these sellers over those who don't fulfill by Amazon.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:32 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
Then let me articulate. Actually I just need to be more exact. I think we should entirely sever the ties between the US government and USPS.

And then I think USPS should make it on their own like any other company, e.g. UPS, FedEx, etc.

I'm tired of the link between USPS and the US government. IMO we don't need that any more. Let USPS sink or float just like any other business. Let the market place decide.

Please detail what link you are referring to between the us govt and the usps. Please detail the financial aspect of it as well. It would appear to me that you don’t actually know anything on the topic because you keep failing to speak in any detail.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:35 PM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I don't think bulk mailers are keeping the USPS from going broke. Junk mail is going down too. I don't know about you, but I get less junk mail in one month, then I used to get in one day. 10 years ago my mail box was filled with junk mail everyday. Now I get just a handful of pieces a month.

I think it is Amazon that has kept the USPS from going broke. But now Amazon is building their own delivery service. Once that is completed, Amazon won't need the USPS.
I think circulars do still work to increase business for stores. There are many times I have no plans to buy anything, then the Christmas Tree Shop circular comes and I have half of it dog-eared with things I now want and putting "Stop at Christmas Tree Shop" on my phone reminders app.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think circulars do still work to increase business for stores. There are many times I have no plans to buy anything, then the Christmas Tree Shop circular comes and I have half of it dog-eared with things I now want and putting "Stop at Christmas Tree Shop" on my phone reminders app.
I'm sure they help stores. That's why they have them.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:25 PM

50,883 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
I'm sure they help stores. That's why they have them.
Some are acting like they are obsolete, like they are only used as part of a prop-up of the postal service. Businesses wouldn't send things by mail if they didn't work.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:45 PM

I was merely commenting that I don't like junk mail, and that I suspect USPS would be hard put without their income.

USPS is not going to change any time soon.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:06 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,113,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There are no circulars mailed out regularly in my area. I suppose I could probably put my name a on a mailing lists to get them, but they are not mass mailed to everybody. I used to look the supermarket adds up online, but I stopped doing that, because the online version and the printed version were incomplete or inaccurate. Often I would go into the stores and find big sales that weren't even mentioned in the circular.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The parcel division of the USPS is separate, and profitable.

It's the mail portion that is having problems because everything is done electronically.
Exactly, Amazon actually produces a profit for the USPS. I think others like eBay or other online retailers help the USPS. The letters right now are a problem because besides bills, how many send cards through the mail anymore rather than e-mail or even just a standard Facebook message?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics