Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 08:45 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
My grandmother had 30 different charities she was sending money too when that money should have gone to her kids and grandkids. Charities prey on the gulliability of the elderly and 90% of them are scams or just plain unnecessary. There should be a law that says 100% of the money must be used for the cause and none of the people running them are allowed to use the money on themselves, ever.

No paying yourself a $150,000 salary. Caught and you get 5 years in prison.
Yes, donating to charities is a rip off. I watched a YouTube video where are woman called a well known non-profit charity. I won't mention which one, because they are all operate pretty much the same. Anyway she called them up and after waiting on hold for a half hour, somebody finally came on the line. She told them that she read that they provide services to adults with her condition. She said that she needed help and would like to know what services they could provide her. The woman on the line sounded really confused, but finally asked for her name, address and phone number, and promised that someone would call her back to help her. Well they did call her back, but not to help her. Their telemarketers started calling her daily asking for donations. They just solicit money from the people they claim to be helping. They don't actually use the money to help anyone. The only thing they know how to do is solicit money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 09:32 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Some Post Offices deliver mail on Sunday instead of Saturday. Special Delivery and Express Mail have always been delivered on Sundays, since the 1880s. So Amazon was not the first Sunday delivery for the USPS. It probably got the Sunday workers some extra hours though.

No More Day of Rest for Postal Package Delivery _ USPS Office of Inspector General
I think what is new is Amazon's huge use for products with Amazon fulfillment. I'm sure Amazon's business vastly increased USPS Sunday deliveries.

I had not known the Sunday not Saturday stuff. The USPS website is not exactly very friendly, and services apparently vary greatly by region.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never got Sunday Mail in 56 years until Amazon deliveries. Not that I doubt you, just maybe that it was common.
Ditto here.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
You guys keep talking about Amazon delivering packages. The question is are they delivering all vendor's packages or just those orders generated by Amazon and/or its vendors?

That's the difference between Amazon and UPS, FedEx and the USPS. The latter three deliver packages for all comers, including Amazon vendors.

Amazon is not a delivery service provider but a mail order (for lack of a better term) retailer like Cabela's, Bass Pro, Plow and Hearth, Cross Pens, etc. It would not deliver packages, if it even would, for any of the preceding unless the order was generated through Amazon.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well actually in Los Angeles, where her posted location states, Amazon Logistics and Ontrac also deliver Amazon parcels on Sundays. A few years ago UPS had to start delivering on Saturdays to keep their market share up and I would bet there are in talks with the Teamsters to move into Sunday. Meanwhile FedEx Ground franchise owners have their trucks out on Saturday and I wonder if some of them roll their trucks on Sundays.
I'm not sure if this refers to me, but Lovehound is happy to be a member of the male species.

I haven't seen an Ontrac truck for over 6 months, and I place about 100 orders/year with Amazon. I used to see them often.

I'm currently having a strange experience...

The package was purchased on Amazon but sent by the seller in Union City (delivered into the hands o USPS). It went to the Oakand USPS center then flew to San Diego. From tracking data it appears to have driven to my central USPS office and arrived 8:23 a.m. today. From past experience it appears too late to go to my local USPS so it will probably be carried by an all day USPS truck, not by my usual letter carrier.

It's funny, it's 3 barbecue lighters. I had thought flammables had to go by ground, but there must be exceptions.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
For the record the USPS does not have a nationwide coast to coast delivery mandate. The Post Office has never delivered mail to addresses in small towns. UPS and FedEx on the other hand do deliver packages to those addresses. So even without a mandate UPS and FedEx deliver to more addresses then the USPS does.
I see plenty of dirt roads branching off paved highways in Utah. (I'm a back road explorer, even better if the roads require 4x4.) You see sometimes a dozen or more post boxes grouped at these roads. USPS may deliver rural but if your driveway is a 5 mile dirt road it's up to you to go get it.

I'm lucky to have a CBU about 400 feet from my house. (cluster box unit)

Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys keep talking about Amazon delivering packages. The question is are they delivering all vendor's packages or just those orders generated by Amazon and/or its vendors?
Amazon ships products only for listings that state, "Fulfilled by Amazon." That mean the products are stored in Amazon warehouses and are boxed and shipped by Amazon employees.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:54 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm not sure if this refers to me, but Lovehound is happy to be a member of the male species.

I haven't seen an Ontrac truck for over 6 months, and I place about 100 orders/year with Amazon. I used to see them often.

I'm currently having a strange experience...

The package was purchased on Amazon but sent by the seller in Union City (delivered into the hands o USPS). It went to the Oakand USPS center then flew to San Diego. From tracking data it appears to have driven to my central USPS office and arrived 8:23 a.m. today. From past experience it appears too late to go to my local USPS so it will probably be carried by an all day USPS truck, not by my usual letter carrier.

It's funny, it's 3 barbecue lighters. I had thought flammables had to go by ground, but there must be exceptions.
I have to ask if the price break on 3 lighters from Amazon is so great that the ordering and waiting for them is enough than just going to a hardware, grocery or WalMart to get them? I bought a couple a few weeks ago at the local hardware and they were like $5 for two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Amazon ships products only for listings that state, "Fulfilled by Amazon." That mean the products are stored in Amazon warehouses and are boxed and shipped by Amazon employees.
That's what I was getting at. Amazon ships only its own packages and isn't a general carrier like UPS, FedEx or USPS. That is a major difference and is sort of comparing apples to bananas.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I have to ask if the price break on 3 lighters from Amazon is so great that the ordering and waiting for them is enough than just going to a hardware, grocery or WalMart to get them? I bought a couple a few weeks ago at the local hardware and they were like $5 for two.
$5.45 for three, CA sales tax 52 cents, free shipping. That's about 2 bucks each, including sales tax.

Note that it was purchased on Amazon but sold and shipped by an independent seller.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:56 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Yes, donating to charities is a rip off. I watched a YouTube video where are woman called a well known non-profit charity. I won't mention which one, because they are all operate pretty much the same. Anyway she called them up and after waiting on hold for a half hour, somebody finally came on the line. She told them that she read that they provide services to adults with her condition. She said that she needed help and would like to know what services they could provide her. The woman on the line sounded really confused, but finally asked for her name, address and phone number, and promised that someone would call her back to help her. Well they did call her back, but not to help her. Their telemarketers started calling her daily asking for donations. They just solicit money from the people they claim to be helping. They don't actually use the money to help anyone. The only thing they know how to do is solicit money.
That is not true of all nor IMO most charities. I'm in the process if getting someone a ramp through Habitat for Humanity. I see what the Humane Society does when I go there to give them old blankets in towels. I saw what the Red Cross does when a co-worker's home burned down, and when I went through Hurricane Sandy. Often they are volunteers that answer phones, and even more often the volunteers are elderly (cause they have time to volunteer) and you have to call a couple of times. Habitat said they'd call me back and didn't, but the next day I called I got the help I needed. Again, a volunteer answers the phones.

I'm sure there are some that don't run efficiently, but to blanket statement them is really inaccurate and unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics