Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:28 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I don't know why a free market can't be barter based. And I don't know why free markets have to have moneyed investments.
Because that's what it is:
Free markets-
an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses.

Private property is a modern invention meant to accumulate wealth into the hands of a few large organizations. There is a reason old societies weren't called free market capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 01:05 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Because that's what it is:
Free markets-
an economic system in which prices are determined by unrestricted competition between privately owned businesses.

Private property is a modern invention meant to accumulate wealth into the hands of a few large organizations. There is a reason old societies weren't called free market capitalism.
Ah, free market capitalism. OK.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:06 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Economically illiterate comment. The "Tulip Bubble/Bust" occurred nearly 400 years ago in an era of very low information, cold weather and on another continent.

Thanks for playing.
Sorry your lens doesn't allow you to see the comparisons. Your points are frankly irrelevant. What does continent have to do with anything?

I trade with AI, machine learning, and yes history. Only fools don't learn from history.

And I don't generally respond to trolls but why not this time.

Have fun with your E Trade account

Old 12-19-2018, 05:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,568,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You rang? In 1918 you could buy a cow with a $20 gold piece. Today you can buy a cow with that same $20 gold piece. A $20 bill will get you about 4 pounds of good hamburg; so what has changed? The real values of the gold piece and cow have not changed. The Federal Reserve is two lies in one term. It is not federal and there is no reserve.
This is a silly way to try to make a point, I could just as easily bring up something like a television or clothing that required a lot more in equivalent gold to buy back in the day than today and say the opposite.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
This is a silly way to try to make a point, I could just as easily bring up something like a television or clothing that required a lot more in equivalent gold to buy back in the day than today and say the opposite.
Money is an artificial value inflated by the feds and investors who are hoping to use goods as storage for value (like houses to even cattle). None of it has to do with function or desire, it is all a frauds game.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:12 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
Panama uses our dollar. They have their own coins which are the same size and weight as our coins, but the cash is US dollars. I expect there are other economies where the dollar is more stable than the local currency.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:23 AM

641 posts, read 1,072,559 times
Not only does Bitcoin have no intrinsic, implicit value of it's own, but it uses resources (electricity) to produce. Even dollar bills do not tax the resources of the country in that way.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Tell these people to stop worrying so much about numbers. Worry about lifestyle and standard of living.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I called it when this sham first started: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft....8-8c755afbfb5d

I’ll tell you why, capitalism is a state invention and without it it cannot survive. I support a society with no currency or centralized state, but the idea that you could have a monetary system to artificially price goods and inflate prices (which is the scam that is capitalism) without violent state protection or corporate monopoly is a joke.

And as bitcoin crashes, the idea that the free markets operate naturally without state intervention dies.
Why do you think it's "failing"? It's simply falling to reflect it's real value. Early in/Early out/are the winners.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Why do you think it's "failing"? It's simply falling to reflect it's real value. Early in/Early out/are the winners.
Like stocks it is an investment, but it’s not a viable currency.

Why would vendors accept a currency that fluctuates based off of usage. It’s like going to the store and offering a stock investment that you couldn’t sell.

Oh yeah, and if bitcoin traders exchange bitcoin for state currency then they are betraying the free market method by which crypto-currency came to existance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics