Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 12:38 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times

Advertisements

Reminded me of The Case for the Empire

Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
People who spend time trying to cast Scrooge in a good light are the sort of people who value a cent more than basic humanity. Those who want to care about nothing more than the balance sheet are free to do so. However, they should not expect a pat on the head and validation from the world at large. They're certainly not going to get it from me.
Ask me how I know you never bothered to read the linked articles...

Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM

506 posts, read 510,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Ask me how I know you never bothered to read the linked articles...
Yes, I don't think most of the replies even read the linked articles I posted.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Tiny Tim was really bad. Trust me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA
So bad Jerry Lawler broke his ukelele on an early WWF Raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAwLSI_qt4

Old 01-05-2019, 04:13 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Scrooge is emblematic of the reality that too much of anything is a bad thing. In his case, he had turned his entire life into a pursuit of making and keeping money.

Dickens never once implies in the story that being a business or making money is a bad thing. However, it can become a bad thing when you take no heed of others and no longer see any reason to associate with or help your fellow man.

Scrooge's treatment of his employee, Bob Cratchit, is a great example. Scrooge is angry at having to give him Christmas Day off. He is angry at having to pay adequately to heat Cratchit's work area. He sees no reason to raise Cratchit's salary or provide a Christmas bonus after years of honest, faithful employment.

Occasionally, we read a sad story about a miser who was living in a hovel and rags while he had a huge bank account.

The story has relevance today. In this era of the internet, it is more and more possible for people to spend most of the day with no human contact. We see more and more employers shunning charitable giving and paying inadequate wages. I am told giving to such agencies as the United Way has declined. So, has community spirit.

I am glad they show the movies of A Christmas Carol during the Holiday Season. I hope it does make some people think about their actions and whether they may be in the process of becoming a "Scrooge" themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics