Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 629,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post

You are still not addressing why you previously mixed up revenue and gross profit/net income.
Get ready for the Winterfall Shuffle ®!

Old 02-20-2019, 02:36 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,140,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
It doesn’t really matter what you are willing to take if an employer doesn’t think you provide the value they need for their business.

You are coming from the approach that you are entitled to a certain level of compensation, regardless of how productive/effective you might be based on the needs of an employer.
Then I won’t work until I can move or start a business.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM

37,744 posts, read 46,207,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs1 View Post
you mean farmers actually think about the consumers and aren’t just happily toiling away to feed just themselves, while obtaining spiritual fulfillment and epicurean personal pleasure?
lol.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:43 PM

1,067 posts, read 629,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You should start up a business. You can then pay people 3 or 4 times what they are worth since it t doesn’t matter if employees meet your needs, right?

Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,140,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
You should start up a business. You can then pay people 3 or 4 times what they are worth since it t doesn’t matter if employees meet your needs, right?
I am more of a diy guy

Old 02-20-2019, 03:18 PM

10,387 posts, read 8,627,866 times
Quote:
The overhead is what the owner makes it. As to the rest What ever man
I see the issue here. You live in a little tiny world of engineering where you think you are the indispensable part and have no concept of what it takes to run a business. You only understand the w-2 mentality. The book "the e myth" describes people like you who think they are the company and without them the company ceases to exist, get angry and strike out on their own. They soon go belly up because all they know is engineering and nothing about sales, marketing, running a business.
Walk into any shop and look at the labor rates posted on the wall. Then ask the mechanic if he is getting paid that same wage as posted.
The overhead is not what the owner makes it, it is what is needed to run the business. If it was what the owner makes it, it would be zero, why would he choose to have overhead?
He has rent that he pays market rent for, equipment, soft costs like insurance, medical etc.
The more you post, the more we get a picture of the type of person you are.
There are enough engineers looking for jobs that no one has to hire one like you who has an attitude.
I'm sure you think I'm wrong, but then so far no one has hired you for what you think you're worth.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:31 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,464,972 times
Quote:
You mean farmers actually think about the consumers and aren’t just happily toiling away to feed just themselves, while obtaining spiritual fulfillment and Epicurean personal pleasure?
Please, get a grip.

Farmers control how their produce is sold to benefit themselves, historically at least. That is the same process industrial labor should practice in.

But of course today many farms are becoming corporate structures.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Revenue does not have to be first created by sales in order to pay labor costs, operating cash flow to pay wages can come from a variety of sources.

Price of products/services are based on what the market will bear, not labor costs (though may be influenced by this).

You are still not addressing why you previously mixed up revenue and gross profit/net income.
I don’t need to because I never did. I clearly stated that revenue, whether it comes from sales or other forms of money holding, must account for labor costs.

That means a company must account for the cost of labor to produce something, not just follow the imaginary free markets.

The point being revenue does not determine pay, labor costs determine revenue. Now you’re deflecting.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
A farm exists to make money. No matter who owns it or run it. If there were no consumers to purchase what they produce, I think they would sell the farm.
Why oh why must you do this to me CM?

If the producers control the sale and production, then they control how costs are distributed for their own labor, and how much they want to sell along with how much they want to produce.

That is a separate dynamic from differentiating labor from capital which is what industrial corporatism does. It is the same concept as worker control of the means of production. And comparing it to farming where the needs of producers rather than shareholders control what is sold and for how much (labor value theory).

Obviously farms are changing, but I hope to god you understand what I’m saying.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:09 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,228,715 times
Quote:
With that attitude, I can see why you're unemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Let me ask you this, does a farm exist for consumers or the farmer?
The consumer.

As a farmer, you have to grow what consumers demand, and not what you want to grow.

You're certainly free to grow tarot, or sugar beets or turnips, but you will fail.

Consumers don't want tarot, or sugar beets or turnips, and if they don't want them, you can't sell them, and if you can't sell them, then you can't pay the mortgage on your farm, or your water or electric bill, or buy the things you and your family needs.

Even in your freaked-out differently twisted world where there is no money, you will still fail.

As a boot-maker, I'm not going to trade a pair of boots for a bushel of tarot that I have no need for, don't want, can't use, and don't like.

The only farmers who farm for themselves are subsistence farmers, yet oddly, the goal of every subsistence farmer is not to be a subsistence farmer, and the only way they can do that is by growing an excess of crops that consumers demand, so they can sell or trade the excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This thread makes no sense. We live in a civilized modern society. Nobody is interested in adopting outdated and laborious ways of life full of uncertainty.
That's exactly what the OP wants, a return to Neolithic days.

Quote:
What do you know about farming? Grazing, crops, what?
I know a helluva lot more than you'll ever know.

I'm probably talking over your head, but I used to walk beans and detassle corn, cut tobacco, hang tobacco, milk cows. I still farm. I have 20 acres. I grow potatoes and corn, because that's what consumers want. I grow sugar beets, too, but only as silage for my cows. My horses like it, too. They like sweet stuff, like carrots. I don't actually do the work, since I have other people willing to do it for me. I have chickens and geese as well. I like goose eggs for breakfast.

Quote:
Phenomenal job ignoring the rest of my post, you just proved me right in every way possible.
Only a truly warped person would believe that.

Quote:
You ignore why the Soviets were so poor,...
The Soviets were poor, because they didn't allow Capitalism.

The Soviet planned economy failed. They never met their quotas. Nowhere is that more evident than the 1970s.

The Soviet planned economy had a production quota for oil, N Million barrels per year.

A percentage of the oil quota was allocated for the export market, to sell on the world market to get cash the Soviets didn't have so they could buy and import the things they needed.

A percentage was also allocated for military use, industrial use, the transportation sector, and consumers.

The amount allocated for consumer use was always very small, so very little gasoline was produced and the Soviets always ran out of gasoline during the month, leaving the Soviet people stranded.

Because the Soviets never met their oil quotas, they had hard choices to make.

A reduction in oil quotas meant the Soviets didn't have enough oil to sell on the world market, and that reduced the amount of much needed cash, and that prevent the Soviets from buying goods on the world market for import.

To get around that, the Soviets cut oil allocations to other sectors of the economy and diverted it for export.

One of the sectors cut was transportation, specifically agricultural transportation.

From July on, there was no oil refined into diesel for use by farming equipment or the trucks that transport crops from fields to markets.

By October, US satellites were beaming photos of Millions and Millions of acres of wheat just rotting in the fields.

A lot of people thought the Soviets were hoarding oil in preparation for war, but that wasn't the case at all.

For the Soviets, it was more cost-effective to let the wheat rot in the fields, and use the oil to sell on the world market, and then buy wheat from the US, than it was to spend the money to refine that oil into diesel for farm and transportation use.

The Carter Administration approved the sale of US wheat to the Soviets.

Quote:
When given less pressure, the planned economy, much like our own, gave people more security.

What security?

They constantly ran out of food for the month; out of consumer goods for the month; out of gasoline for the month and out of many other things.

Where is the security standing in long lines to get the last of the bread for the month?

How is standing in long lines an efficient use of people's time?

The Black Market was alive and well, and all of those governments lost $Billions in revenues every year, because of the Black Markets.

Like I said, you don't know what you're talking about.

You never visited the East Bloc, never lived there, never worked there, never did business there and don't understand the pathetic lives those people had, denied most everything, because the State couldn't afford to produce it.

You wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes there, before being on your hands and knees begging to go anywhere but there.

A typical breakfast for people in the East Bloc was warm water and sugar.

That's because they didn't have anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics