Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:44 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
except in college they are adults, and professors aren't "teachers" and the college students aren't "their" students.

Nope.

This would be a fire able offense at the university I work for. If I began a relationship with a graduate assistant, even if they didn't work under me or in my department, I would lose my job.

Many employers have rules against being romantically involved with a subordinate, and this is no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,863,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What's your point in this thread?

You lived in a different time. Same job from 24 to 55? Hah.
Sounds great. Stability is a great thing for a job and knowing you're going to get paid.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:59 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What's your point in this thread?

You lived in a different time. Same job from 24 to 55? Hah.
point is there are millions more like me. (I'm still alive). Many are in public sector jobs they have for their adult life. If stability is important to you, maybe you should look there.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:40 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
except in college they are adults, and professors aren't "teachers" and the college students aren't "their" students.
No he still shouldn’t do that. It’s obviously the power tilt to the professor.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:31 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
point is there are millions more like me. (I'm still alive). Many are in public sector jobs they have for their adult life. If stability is important to you, maybe you should look there.
Not easy for a 24 year-old to get those. Possible, yes, but that's not a solution for everyone by a long shot.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
One example that comes to mind is that of Prof. Stephen Wiggins, a brilliant mathematician at Caltech. Steve got into an affair with his graduate student. The word was that his secretary meanwhile also had designs on him, and felt jilted when he rebuffed her advances. Her "solution" was to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Caltech. The consequence? It never went to trial, but Steve was asked to resign.
I never understood why some profs do things like that. You're going to give up the golden goose of a tenured Caltech job for a piece of tail from a 26 year old grad student? Come on!

If he wanted to date grad students so badly, he could go to a conference and chat up the UCLA or Long Beach State grad students, where his reputation would still have enough cache to impress starry eyed 20-somethings, and there's no risk to his job, at worst some risk of rumor & gossip.

WTF.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:24 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Not easy for a 24 year-old to get those. Possible, yes, but that's not a solution for everyone by a long shot.
never said it was.

Old 06-09-2019, 04:45 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
I never understood why some profs do things like that. You're going to give up the golden goose of a tenured Caltech job for a piece of tail from a 26 year old grad student? Come on!
The academic mentor-mentee dynamic can be intensely close. It's not at all unusual for graduate students and advisors to become personal friends, and to maintain lifelong friendship after graduation. One supposes that it's not extraordinary for friendship to morph into desire for something more, especially if the professor is male and the student is female. This is not the same as vapidly "chasing tail", for the initial impulse is not necessarily one of raw appetite. Staying one's impulses is of course a sign of maturity, but it's easy to slip up, regardless of one's mental faculties as a scientist.

As with most head-shaking castings of judgment, it is easy to behold the stupidity and to wonder how an intelligent person could be so stupid. But who among has has been in such situation, and managed to curb impulses successfully? The point isn't to defend the alleged transgressors, but to note, how even a cushy position occupied by a highly regarded and sought-after professional can suddenly be lost. It is never too late to fail, even if we can boast 30-year eminent careers with excellent pensions. The key, perhaps, is to do sufficiently well, for sufficiently long, that if later failure overtakes us, well, we've already done enough, that life's remainder can be lived out in modicum of comfort, even without a second-chance.

As it turns out, Prof. Wiggins moved to the University of Bristol (UK), where he evidently went on to continue his career. He manage to successfully resume "the game of life".

Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 668,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
By that definition one could be a millennial and pushing towards 40 if you were born in 80-82 you are 36-38 years old
Yes.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/pers...sis/ar-AABADLe

As one of the older millennials myself pushing toward 40, I relate to a lot of what's in this article. My wife and I (she's 34) don't have kids, and I'm starting to doubt having them, and I never would have expected that about myself. In high school I told my girlfriend I wanted 3-5 kids, haha. By my mid-late 20s it became clear that would not happen.

The article complains about student debt. We did not have nearly as much student loan debt as the people in the article - seems quite extreme to have $377k worth like the interviewees! My wife and I had $41k combined. We paid it off relatively easily once we did get jobs and I didn't consider it a huge burden to do so...

The bigger problem than our student debt load was that it took us both until about age 30 to find decent jobs to make it capable to pay them off. Both of us bounced around at survival level wages for most of our 20s, it wasn't for lack of trying that we didn't find good ones. About the time I hit 30, I definitely noticed the recovery from the recession happening... seemed like older people finally began to retire, opening up spots.

We are lucky to have health insurance and neither have faced major health problems like people in the article

However, at this point it does seem like we have to choose between having kids and saving for our own retirement because our 20s were pretty much a lost decade. Much to the chagrin of our parents, who don't seem to understand.
I am a millennial and I just think times are different for our generation than it was 50 years ago.I am in a better situation than a lot of us but I feel really bad for the millennials that cant get good jobs and also have so much debt that they wont be able to pay off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics