Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 05:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Yeah sure. I've just never really seen anyone think that tabloids are worthy of using as a basis for benchmarking your life. I mean, I'd love to take private jets everywhere I go but I realize in my small brain that isn't a realistic benchmark to set for normal lifestyles.

You might want to get out and talk to people more. There's people of all types that believe all sorts of things. Not everyone is the same as you, believe it or not. People consume all sorts of types of media.. facebook, twitter, nyt, etc. And, consuming doesn't mean benchmarking. The media industry is vast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
A big part of the problem is what took a lot of us years to acquire, young people want right NOW.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:30 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
What does 'living paycheck to paycheck' mean for folks here?

I take it to mean folks don't have the rule of thumb 6 months savings of 'normal' expenditures in liquid savings. Then a family of 4 can take a hit and get by without maxing out the f'in credit cards.

Do the math, then set aside some money to save (not in IRA or 401k) to get to that amount. Sure, it may take some time to get there, but then you aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

This 'adulting' is WAY overstated.
This is a good question. Most people I know that are young and make that kind of money are saving (for retirement and for rainy days). We have to keep in mind that "Jenny" feels strapped for cash but isn't poor. The opening paragraph reads:

"Jenny Castillo makes over six figures, owns multiple homes in DC and vacationed in three countries already this year. But at the end of each month, she’s still counting pennies."

Owning multiple homes in DC, and vacationing around the world, hardly seems like a real struggle.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
You're the first person in this thread to bring up tabloids being a credible source of media. I'm not sure where you're going with this.... But tabloids are media... just like social media. You can keep denying it all you want, but that doesn't change the industry.
So the thought (not mine) was that "the media" is influencing people. The example given was Facebook and Instagram.

My point was that the media people are choosing to consume is akin to tabloids, and while it may happen I just don't see many people adjusting their lifestyles to an article they read about in People magazine.

If people have strayed away from reason and logic in how they conduct their lives and where they get their outside influences, that's on them. All the better especially for those earning lots and spending it all. "Please and thank you!" is what I say to that!

Old 11-27-2019, 05:34 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:
This is a good question. Most people I know that are young and make that kind of money are saving (for retirement and for rainy days). We have to keep in mind that "Jenny" feels strapped for cash but isn't poor. The opening paragraph reads:

"Jenny Castillo makes over six figures, owns multiple homes in DC and vacationed in three countries already this year. But at the end of each month, she’s still counting pennies."

Owning multiple homes in DC, and vacationing around the world, hardly seems like a real struggle.
It’s because it’s a clear click bait article. It’s a license for every older person to think to themselves “I didn’t make 100k”. “I didn’t travel or get my nails done”. It’s basically an advertisement for this person’s blog. There’s no actual substance or real finance advice. And it’s also click bait because most of the country doesn’t understand COL indexes. Dc is expensive. 100k isn’t a lot there.

see post #32.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
What does 'living paycheck to paycheck' mean for folks here?

I take it to mean folks don't have the rule of thumb 6 months savings of 'normal' expenditures in liquid savings. Then a family of 4 can take a hit and get by without maxing out the f'in credit cards.

Do the math, then set aside some money to save (not in IRA or 401k) to get to that amount. Sure, it may take some time to get there, but then you aren't living paycheck to paycheck.

This 'adulting' is WAY overstated.
Holding 6 months of low paying liquid savings in your 20s or 30s seems like a tremendous cost. That’s money you haven’t tax deferred, aren’t investing, or using to build home equity. It’s just too inefficient. It’s downright damaging for someone if that was their largest asset.

Even now, I would never want to hold that much like that with no end in sight. Let’s say 6 month of true cash outlay expenses is 30k. Do I really want that kind of money rotting? And even living way under your means, say spending 10 months of your 12 months of income would take 3 years just to get to that point.

Over conservatism can create the bad outcome you’re trying to avoid. I’d rather aggressively grow my way to prosperity to have the 6 months expenses than turtle to get it at the risk of the future.

The only emergency fund I’ve built, is from all credit card rewards I get are saved and rolled into a special Xmas account. I’ve made around 8k from this.

I don’t see what’s wrong with relying on credit cards to aid cash flow, if they’re interest free intro apr. Credit is a tool.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 11-27-2019 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 05:54 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
They are online versions of tabloid magazines. I've never heard anyone refer to tabloids as any sort of credible source of media, they are read purely for their entertainment value.
When did media mean “credible”? You have a misunderstanding of what “media” is.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:57 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
A big part of the problem is what took a lot of us years to acquire, young people want right NOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
see post #32.
I actually don't think that acquiring real estate at a young age is a horrible idea. As long as you are smart about it.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I actually don't think that acquiring real estate at a young age is a horrible idea. As long as you are smart about it.
Acquiring real estate was one of the first goals I had. I even took on PMI to do it. But, I’ve made 50k of equity in the process(and stopped the ridiculous rent price increases) . People will tell you to pay off student loans or build x emergency fund...but had I done both of those things first, I’d be 50k poorer. My home purchase has got me 2x my student loan value out of college as equity.

Old 11-27-2019, 06:22 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Holding 6 months of low paying liquid savings in your 20s or 30s seems like a tremendous cost. That’s money you haven’t tax deferred, aren’t investing, or using to build home equity. It’s just too inefficient. It’s downright damaging for someone if that was their largest asset.

Even now, I would never want to hold that much like that with no end in sight. Let’s say 6 month of true cash outlay expenses is 30k. Do I really want that kind of money rotting? And even living way under your means, say spending 10 months of your 12 months of income would take 3 years just to get to that point.

Over conservatism can create the bad outcome you’re trying to avoid. I’d rather aggressively grow my way to prosperity to have the 6 months expenses than turtle to get it at the risk of the future.

The only emergency fund I’ve built, is from all credit card rewards I get are saved and rolled into a special Xmas account. I’ve made around 8k from this.

I don’t see what’s wrong with relying on credit cards to aid cash flow, if they’re interest free intro apr. Credit is a tool.
If one has to run up a credit card balance at double digit interest rates and that balance carries over month to month to month to month....then duh...a savings balance is going to come out ahead to take hits in sudden unexpected high dollar expenditures.

Otherwise - back to the clickbait premise of the OP; living paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics