Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
So, point to specific platforms of candidates which state "propose success taxes on middle-class people earning $150K" as the poster claimed.

Not opinion pieces of "What about" or "What if" or anything like that. Or even the thoughts of Doug Henwood - who is NOT running for office.

Because, frankly, I'm in favor of a more fair progressive tax rate. And, yes, it would hit me and my family. But it needs to be "everybody into the pool."
Political platforms are never that specific. And even when they are, they always change, anyway. Surely, you know politicians of all stripes lie and misrepresent? If not, we can't continue this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 12:26 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The problem is that when it comes to the hedonic treadmill, there is no maximum speed.
Ooh, I love that.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:42 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/10/23/millen...feel-strapped/

Jenny Castillo chronicles her life as a HENRY: High Earning, Not Rich Yet millenial here on her blog Jenny the Henry: https://jennythehenry.com/index.php/...es-henry-lows/

Yes, so-called Adulting can be expensive, Jenny, if you make stupid choices. Welcome to being a grown-up.
I shake my head over how clueless and self-entitled so many millennials seem to be.

Yes, you should be proud because you worked hard, stuck to it, and earned your degree - a noteworthy accomplishment and I give you props.

Welcome to the club we call Life.

Now, the real work begins and this is where you start paying your dues.

If you're under 35 and making over $100,000, you have no clue how blessed you are, unless you're a doctor, lawyer, hedge fund manager, or stockbroker.

Get over yourselves and stop complaining.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Political platforms are never that specific. And even when they are, they always change, anyway. Surely, you know politicians of all stripes lie and misrepresent? If not, we can't continue this discussion.
So you cannot. Got it.

Maybe someone else here can.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:19 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I look at a DIY project as an opportunity to buy more tools.
I used to do that too.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:37 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
A Millenial You tuber who is also an attorney commented on the article and called Jenny "dumb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9naiheEh6k

Old 12-02-2019, 01:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
A Millenial You tuber who is also an attorney commented on the article and called Jenny "dumb"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9naiheEh6k

He also has some pretty moronic videos about 401ks and other areas of finance that highlight he believes he is smarter than he really is at least on the topic of personal finance

Old 12-02-2019, 02:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
How old are you? If just recently out of college it makes sense. I didn't personally start seeing any real accumulation until maybe 33-34 but our first couple jobs out of school paid really horribly (like $7/hr, stupid recessions).

Millennials are no different than everyone else. They have bad long term planning skills and want to live in the moment. I would bet most came out of college making decent money and haven't known any different, and see a world of Gen X and boomers who have accumulated millions over decades.
That's what I think. Millennials are just doing what their parents likely did. They grow up with owning two houses, they likely want two houses. The problem is the self-reporting "responsible" Gen X and boomers on here love to mock the children who weren't brought up the way they would like. They think you should be eating pork and beans all the time, not going to get fast food on the way home because you had no time to cook dinner (this happened with me yesterday) or you get Starbucks for breakfast or a pick-me up rather than have say 7-11 coffee or at home stuff. I goto Starbucks, not as often as I use to but most of the time I get tea lattes or citrus defender, not the typical coffees that people laugh at.

Now are is Jenny dumb, yes but not because she is a HENRY. She is dumb because she has several houses. Unless she is using two as Air B&B or similar use rentals, she is wasting money with it.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:20 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
I'm in the same tax bracket as Jenny, but have a paid off home and Medicare. Yeah, I live comfortably, but still have to budget for any major expenses. I'm trying to live on cash flow without touching savings, in anticipation of higher expenses as I age. Maid service, home health care, and yard service will put a real dent in cash flow 10 years from now, plus 10 years of 2% inflation will cut my income by 25%.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:05 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
We should thrown in the mix non millennial stuff too like 350k middle class earners

//www.city-data.com/forum/perso...dle-class.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics