Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 07:16 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times

Advertisements

It was clear from the get go she did this for the "internet fame" and was very hollow and pretentious. Guys do this with cars; women try to show off their money with purses, clothes, and travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 10:44 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's good when people spend their money. It keeps the economy's wheels greased.
Likely consumers will NOT see even a 1:1 return for their own dollars spent. This is why consumer spending isn't an investment strategy.

Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Millennials will feel strapped living in the Bay Area on $100k trying to figure out how that can buy an entry level SFH at $1M. How is that any different than making $10/hour and trying to afford a $200k house? It just doesn't work in either case.

Too many 20- and 30-somethings are trying to emulate YouTubers and create their own social media posts feigning wealth. This is BEYOND people overextending themselves. In this particular case, they're not actually owning the goods - they're renting them or buying knockoff products.

Paying per hour to rent high end cars for videos, or expensive bags and Rolex watches. Renting an Airbnb for a day and calling it their "second home". Lies and fluff for viewers. One of the biggest fakers of them all, Tai Lopez, can't even engage in small talk with a well-known coach without stumbling over his words in a short interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emZhquAgHiY

Old 12-04-2019, 04:34 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
only making 100k?? poor little flowers & cupcakes...feel sorry for them..

they have no idea how easy they have it...a look back in history......hundreds of thousands got drafted off to wars..... ...and many had to quit school to support the family..

a first world luxury/problem....

watch the movie saving private ryan….. you think any of those young men would be complaining about the same stuff the cupcakes are????????

after high school I worked on a commercial fishing boat and a slaughterhouse....70 hrs a week.... I worked the weekends while my peers who went to college on their parents dime...partied and smoked dope....many dropped out …

I was handed given nothing when young.....slept in my car at times.....but because of hard work some doors opened I took advantage of every opportunity....
and eventually worked my way up to a supervisor of 40 accounts...

ive hired and fired many of the young men and women over the past 20 yrs...I have a soft spot for single mothers ..working two jobs....for her family......love that have promoted many to managers !! ….I have little patience for the dope smoking whiney young men …..who complain and have never had a foot up their ass to push them..

but when I do see a highly motivated one....doors of opportunity will open up...

I hired a young man that had 3 brothers....4 boys...and the single mother had to hire a neighborhood boy to mow their lawn......unbelievable!! she did no favors for those sons...I hired two and they had the same self centered attitude.
but its a challenge ive learned to be a coach in life not a cop...
these young men have little confidence because they rarely had any adversity and when it does arise...they want to run and hide.... little coping skills

Old 12-04-2019, 06:42 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
It seems Millennials perpetually search for things to fret about.

The Arab Street got nothing on them.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
It’s pretty comical to see the reaction to millennials. Every generation faced the same or similar issues and the lady referenced in the OP wasn’t asking people to feel sorry for her. The millennial hate is hilarious and misguided but I guess it’s the easy thing to do

Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
"Hate" is often just thinly veiled jealousy

Old 12-04-2019, 07:03 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
I maxed out my Social Security contribution in my 5th year working after college at age 26 or 27. Inflation-adjusted, that was over $100k in 2019 dollars. I wasn’t rolling in money. Taxes. School loans. Rent. I wasn’t strapped but I had to pay attention to my spending. In a high COL place with really high rents, I can see taxes, school loans, and rent taking a big chunk out of a $100k salary.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:47 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I maxed out my Social Security contribution in my 5th year working after college at age 26 or 27. Inflation-adjusted, that was over $100k in 2019 dollars. I wasn’t rolling in money. Taxes. School loans. Rent. I wasn’t strapped but I had to pay attention to my spending. In a high COL place with really high rents, I can see taxes, school loans, and rent taking a big chunk out of a $100k salary.
Well that is quite true.

100k will go pretty far in places like Green Bay, Dallas, and Fargo. Not so much in LA, New York, and DC. I have lived in one of the former and two of the latter.

It is not just younger people who have to deal with such issues.

Old 12-04-2019, 12:03 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I really don't see how these people are affording second homes on $100k, especially somewhere like DC where the rent/mortgage on the main home is already extremely high.

The lifestyle things I can understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics