Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Just so I understand your thinking, are you suggesting that larger farms and chains are able to operate under a lower standard of quality and safety than smaller operations?

If so, what is the mechanism that makes it work that way? Are smaller operations being held to a higher standard than larger operations? With only so many federal inspectors available, don't you think it would make more sense to concentrate their efforts on the larger producers?
Most of my comment refers to the fact that the multi-nationals purchase food from countries where there may not be high standards and much oversight. But, yes, I think that some huge domestic producers can get lax, as well, and callous about profit at all costs.

The nation was rightly HORRIFIED by the video showing the California slaughterhouse employees beating and moving sick cows with bulldozers. I followed that story a bit and the two workers shown in the video were illegal immigrants from Mexico. Most don't speak English and they're not well-trained, if they're trained at all. They're also unlikely to report problems or abuses because of their illegal entry. This didn't make the news but it is a big problem in the large-scale ag. industry.

I agree that we have a severe shortage of inspectors and inspections. I posit that it's easier -- and probably more important -- for small operations to self-police. They know their workers better. One scandal or incident of tainting would devastate a small producer; the large producers are owned by large, diversified companies. If they can regularly save money by cutting corners and using cheap labor, then the fine they might receive if something goes wrong is easily absorbed by the company and a drop in the bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:14 PM

Smile Yay!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Teatime,

You'll be happy to know that I heard a report the other day that backyard gardens are coming back into fashion and that seed suppliers are seeing 100% increases in sales due to the high cost of fruits and vegetables.

Additionally, with high gas prices it is likely that people are going to be looking for things to do at home and gardening is a popular choice as people tend to want to improve their surroundings when they spend more time at home.
That's excellent news!!! Growing vegetables at any level (containers, hydroponics, backyard garden) is such a satisfying endeavor! My next-door neighbors have three adorable children ages 5 and under and they are fascinated by my gardening, LOL. Just this morning, they came by and asked me if they could help water my plants. They love to come by when I'm outside puttering around the garden and I've given them plants to take home. It's such a good thing to teach children!

It would be wonderful on many levels if backyard gardens did enjoy a big comeback!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you should also add to that that urban farming and community gardens is on the upswing. I think that would be a VERY good business venture. I think cities should start designating areas in their downtown for local farmers to sell their goods. Sort of like the Pike market in Seattle, all local, all organic.
Neighborhood gardens in urban areas are SO beneficial! They instill good relationships among neighbors, pride in the neighborhood, and a common project to involve everyone!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:48 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj2076 View Post
planned communities = central planning = communism. RIP America
I'm not proposing centralized governmental planning, I'm referring to private development that creates a self-sustaining community. I actually believe this will become quite popular as the cost of energy continues to rise rapidly.

Buy 1500 acres and start your own community. Andres Duany is generally regarded as the father of new urbanism and has many published works describing communities that work and are highly desirable.

I don't see it as communism I see it as capitalism meeting a growing, yet unfulfilled demand.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Neighborhood gardens in urban areas are SO beneficial! They instill good relationships among neighbors, pride in the neighborhood, and a common project to involve everyone!
check this out

link

Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj2076 View Post
planned communities = central planning = communism. RIP America
Suburbia = planned community. So by your reasoning America has been communist for some time

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
check this out

link
Wow, thank you for posting this, Wild Style! What a poignant story! The video is a few years old, apparently, and it was interesting to hear them warning about food shortages and high prices if oil were to hit $90/barrel!

The one lady said that the food on the average American's plate every day travels 1,500 miles. This is, indeed, a problem!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:59 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
And then Team Metro comes and fines you 50,000.00 for keeping livestock, overgrowth, junk and trash, and whatever else they can dream up. Think it is silly? I have seen it happen.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:16 AM

tallrick

I think one thing that could work is building a green house in the backyard and employing hydroponics to grow food. If I can find it, I will post this article from the New York Times about a proposal this professor from NYU has come up with. Basically what he is saying is, build 3 to 5 towers on governors island in NYC and employ hydroponics. He said that amount of towers would be enough to supply all the food for everyone in the city. Making the city more self sufficient and bringing down food cost because you don't have to transport the sutff for miles. Will they do it, I don't know. But it is a great idea. There is also another article from Chicago Sun about Mayor Daily's plans to promote urban farms in the City of Chicago.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
I wonder when food rationing will start in Iceland. I've heard their suppliers aren't supplying Jack until they get some cash.

Iceland can avoid shortages, needs funds-importers | Currencies | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics