Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,809,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
You started a thread about the virus on 01/23/2020 which deserves my thanks. So thank you for that thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/asia...ted-2-new.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 AM

1,652 posts, read 1,118,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Someone I love dearly is in the ICU with this right now. The terms of service of this site prevent me from saying how I really feel about people with this attitude at this point.
I got the flu this year and had to be given opiates to suppress my cough to prevent pneumonia and was probably a day away from the ICU. Two of my other coworkers had it. One coughed up blood and went to the hospital. Another went to the hospital to prevent pneumonia.

This is all from PCR confirmed flu. Its bad. If youre older ending up in the ER is common.

So a really bad flu may be accurate but it doesnt mean its not deadly.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Same here, 37 so I was a freshman during 9/11. It felt very strange, I have always had the absolute worst luck with these damn things it’s unbelievable to me. I had moved to LA just 2 weeks before 9/11 to start college, first time all on my own, and I was handling it poorly. I was already depressed, it was my 3rd choice school, and I’ll be the first to say I wasn’t a mature 18 in that way. I was a very mature in the sense I never partied, I always focused on my studies and had almost straight A’s, I had even written a book and landed an agent in NYC. But I had zero life skills whatsoever, I was like a fish out of water trying to learn how to do my own laundry and basic things lol.

Then in 2008, guess what? I had just moved to LA a year earlier (again), after having went to school back closer to home, and my mom had died in 2006 so again I was in a new city in my first place I owned my own place, a modest condo. Now here we are in 2020, just moved to Las Vegas 7 months ago. It’s like every time I leave to move to a new city some cataclysmic event just must occur within 2 weeks to 18 months just for fun lol.

I don’t like to be doom and gloom, but I’m somewhere between thinking this will be the new worst recession ever and that it’ll be an actual depression. I’m hoping that’s wrong. If it’s a two year downtown but we can get everything back on track by that time, it’ll be ok. But if we have trouble restarting businesses because of a second wave, and if we have to wait until there’s a vaccine, it’s going to be brutal. Too many businesses will have failed, civil unrest will be high, and we’ll be left picking up the pieces.

All of this because of a virus that kills 0.67% of people it infects with fully half of those infected reporting no symptoms. Gosh, imagine a real virus emerged that wasn’t just a strong flu!
The real issue is not becuase of .67% of people died, the real issue is government is grounding people and asking them not to spend.

My parents went to a job, pay minimum bills, spent for education and keep what you have instead of spending it. No excitement whatsoever, but they were never short of money or borrowed to stay afloat.

May be its time we relooked at capitalism and the "consumer spending" driven economy.

Too much of ranting already today. I just wish they appease the usurers to disperse record loans or Trump submits to them to save the world.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:40 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,473,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I'm 34 and I'm afraid that my economic life and potential at this point is over. I'll be pushing 50 by the time the economy comes back given what most people are predicting.

You're right. 2008 seemed like a walk in the park compared ot this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Same here, 37 so I was a freshman during 9/11. It felt very strange, I have always had the absolute worst luck with these damn things it’s unbelievable to me. I had moved to LA just 2 weeks before 9/11 to start college, first time all on my own, and I was handling it poorly. I was already depressed, it was my 3rd choice school, and I’ll be the first to say I wasn’t a mature 18 in that way. I was a very mature in the sense I never partied, I always focused on my studies and had almost straight A’s, I had even written a book and landed an agent in NYC. But I had zero life skills whatsoever, I was like a fish out of water trying to learn how to do my own laundry and basic things lol.

Then in 2008, guess what? I had just moved to LA a year earlier (again), after having went to school back closer to home, and my mom had died in 2006 so again I was in a new city in my first place I owned my own place, a modest condo. Now here we are in 2020, just moved to Las Vegas 7 months ago. It’s like every time I leave to move to a new city some cataclysmic event just must occur within 2 weeks to 18 months just for fun lol.

I don’t like to be doom and gloom, but I’m somewhere between thinking this will be the new worst recession ever and that it’ll be an actual depression. I’m hoping that’s wrong. If it’s a two year downtown but we can get everything back on track by that time, it’ll be ok. But if we have trouble restarting businesses because of a second wave, and if we have to wait until there’s a vaccine, it’s going to be brutal. Too many businesses will have failed, civil unrest will be high, and we’ll be left picking up the pieces.

All of this because of a virus that kills 0.67% of people it infects with fully half of those infected reporting no symptoms. Gosh, imagine a real virus emerged that wasn’t just a strong flu!
Those born between 1981-1988 have basically had their young adult lives ruined because of 9/11, 2008 crash, and 2020 Coronavirus. For everyone born in the 1981-1988 time frame, at least 2 of those events, if not all 3, had serious life impacts. For me, it was 2008 and this.

9/11 essentially had no immediate impact upon on me. I still did the college freshman thing like college freshman had been doing for years. My college was located nowhere near New York City or Washington DC. None of my contacts died in 9/11. The stock market and sports were shut down for a week. There was palpable anxiety around, but as a college freshman, I did not need an economy for another 3 years. As a first semester freshman, I had a one credit class on Career Management. I attended the on campus career fair and spoke to recruiters/company representatives. I don't remember the exact date of this, but I think it was about 3 weeks or so after 9/11. These really were not substantial conversations since I wasn't really pushing for a summer internship or post graduation job yet. Unlike 2008 or 2020, I actually have reasonably pleasant memories of Fall 2001.

In 2008, my MBA graduation date was mere months before Lehman collapsed and it all went downhill. Even before Lehman collapsed, there were bad signs in the economy, especially as it pertains to new MBA hiring. Big companies plan out their new MBA hires about a year in advance. In Spring 2008, many large companies were setting up hiring freezes. As far back as Oct-Nov 2007, my MBA classmates and I were seeing our interview pipelines dry up and/or get cancelled. In 2008, I was scavenging for a job well below what the pay grade should be a new MBA graduate and it took a good portion of the 2010s to recover from that beating.

2020 COVID has decimated me. It has been worse than 2007-2011 for me. I've taken an employment beating and a stock market beating.

I have been annihilated by the 2 worst recessions of the last 80 years (2008 and 2020 COVID). My early career has been obliterated. There is a chance that I will be picking up the pieces from the financial devastation of 2020 until I am 45 years old (36 now). The bad thing is that right now the economic hurricane is still going on, and we don't know what the devastation will be. If 2008 took me 5-10 years to recover from, how can I expect 2020 to be different? I don't know what I can expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Yes, truly bad and it makes you wonder what's "really behind it."
I would like to see China sanctioned from this to Iran or North Korea type levels.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its much worse than a depression...its a full collapse imo.

The question now is whether the global economy will collapse, I cannot imagine what it would look like if that happened!

I fear that China is worse off than they claim to be too, and that will impact EVERY country on the planet.
We don’t have a full collapse. Yes a lot of people are out of work. But the jobs that are mostly gone are jobs that are impacted due to the SIP orders and you can’t go to restaurants travel etc. But once the orders are lifted peole are gonna travel and go out to eat. Now businessl may be a if you’re sick you’re not getting on the bus, train or plane no service. They may refuse service more if you’re not looking or feeling good. . Soon more of that sickly guy blowing snot over everything.
There may be some law changes where there will be mandatory sick days and possibly a “if sick stay home policy from employers”.

China is lying through their teeth about their economic damage. Hell they caused this. I would think they are gonna get dragged in the world court and sued for the financial damages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
The country was not shut down like this after 9/11 or ever during The Great Depression. This is bad.
Neither of those were viral epidemics. They had different triggers. That’s why I don’t get the foaming at the mouth doom and gloom. Yes we’re getting punched by Iron Mike Tyson the size of a hair follicle. But we’re fighting back. They are already battling this with drugs and people are responding. To the point where these drugs are already being allowed as treatment. Are there mistakes and shortages ? Yup. Panic? Yup. Uncertainty in many sectors? Yup. But this crazed panic and we’re all gonna die attitude is no different than the people who ran out to buy truckloads of toilet paper.
We put the world on pause in some areas. When we hit play it’s gonna start back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
The real issue is not becuase of .67% of people died, the real issue is government is grounding people and asking them not to spend.

My parents went to a job, pay minimum bills, spent for education and keep what you have instead of spending it. No excitement whatsoever, but they were never short of money or borrowed to stay afloat.

May be its time we relooked at capitalism and the "consumer spending" driven economy.

Too much of ranting already today. I just wish they appease the usurers to disperse record loans or Trump submits to them to save the world.
The consumer spending economy is our own doing. Companies simply accommodated what the American consumer wanted. We wanted cheaper things to buy. The way it was done was to outsource the fabrication of the items to cheaper methods and cheaper labor pool. The politicians allowed it.
We used to make things here. Hell we used to make a lot of things here.

I believe there is gonna be a huge backlash against Chinese products. We always joked and said it’s cheap Chinese junk. I can tell you that what should happen is companies if they want to sell their product they will have to bring it back here. And they will be price sensitive as people are not going to overpay anymore.

I believe a lot of people are going to have a big attitude adjustment as to personal finances and spending. I firmly believe as a nation we really haven’t been tested in a long time. If this train wrecks it’s gonna happen no matter how much money they pump in the economy.

The main thing is nobody knows what’s gonna actually happen. Yes it’s gonna be up and down. Time will tell

Old 04-04-2020, 09:32 AM

300 posts, read 149,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
LO this cartoon is funny....hopefully it's not a prediction.

Yes, truly bad and it makes you wonder what's "really behind it."

Hopefully, people will begin to question what's really happening. Because the original narrative is starting not to make sense for such drastic measures. They're crashing the economy and using the coronavirus as a cover...IMHO. Not that the virus isn't real but as they say "never let a good crisis go to waste."

Don't forget about pms...precious metals/gold and silver....if you can still get them. It's been hard to buy them the last few weeks. Gold is one of the best investments one can make at this time. That's why the world's largest banks, many countries are buying it or repatriating it from US vaults (which they are having a hard time getting), and wealthy individuals, and others who can afford it are hoarding it. They see the "writing on the wall" so to speak.
Interesting point you bring up about this crisis and how it may be used to intentionally crash our economy. I've often wondered about that, even back in 2012. The rationale was that crashing the country's economy will be the only way to eliminate SS, and many other programs and pensions that corporations, agencies, and even state governments are already struggling with. In turn the economy will be able to reset with a fresh slate. We are being told to stay home, which in turn will ruin business. I'm saving money having no place to spend it, but I hope I'm wrong.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,886,464 times
You can produce high quality products in China if you insist the factory does it right. I've been very happy with my iPhones and many other premium electronic products made there.

And, hey, most people don't have the bandwidth or budget to track down a source for artisanal tea towels made from American long staple cotton hand woven by virgins. They buy the six pack of those from Walmart or Target or Family Dollar in a pattern that fits their kitchen decor. And there's zero incentive to return mass production of tea towels to American shores- the numbers just don't work for a product like that. The vendors for those kinds of players who make up 95%+ of the market share for tea towels are going to continue to source from China or Bangladesh or Tanzania or Honduras because the big box stores demand price points that require offshore production and in the end, most consumers aren't willing to pay Williams-Sonoma prices for tea towels. And since Walmart does want to sell tea towels, they'll still be made in China or Bangladesh ro any place where you can get $2/hour or less labor.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,809,196 times
Just about everything is made in China these days, not just the cheap stuff. My $600 Sennheiser headphones were made in China. I see loads of the latest iphones being shipped from China. Yes, I am guilty of contributing to the buying Chinese made product problem.

But these things don't have to made in China. They can be made in numerous other countries. But how do you convince Apple, Sennheiser, and others to take their business outside of China? Even then, Chinese owned companies can also move overseas, so a product you buy that's made in India might be owned by the Chinese who ultimately gets your money

But yeah, I will try my best to limit buying China made products. Why? Decades of losing jobs to China, this virus, and a communist regime that doesn't care much for America are among the reasons.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-04-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 04-04-2020, 11:02 AM

6,710 posts, read 5,958,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Just about everything is made in China these days, not just the cheap stuff. My $600 Sennheiser headphones were made in China. I see loads of the latest iphones being shipped from China. Yes, I am guilty of contributing to the buying Chinese made product problem.

But these things don't have to made in China. They can be made in numerous other countries. But how do you convince Apple, Sennheiser, and others to take their business outside of China? Even then, Chinese owned companies can also move overseas, so a product you buy that's made in India might be owned by the Chinese who ultimately gets your money

But yeah, I will try my best to limit buying China made products. Why? Decades of losing jobs to China, this virus, and a communist regime that doesn't care much for America are among the reasons.
Email every company whose products you buy. I own a lot of Black & Decker tools & appliances, and I recently emailed them to "kindly build more of your stuff in the U.S. as you used to". I have a 30-year-old B&D drill that's better than the new crap made in China.

As for iPhones -- all of them are made at a giant Foxconn factory in China (owned by a Taiwan guy). Apple's tried moving some manufacturing to the U.S., for example an LCD factory in Arizona, and they still assemble iMac's in Texas. But these plants are slow, inefficient, and expensive compared to China's. It's just a basic fact of life that American factories can't compete.

China has no lawsuits, no strikes, no environmental regulations. Anyone goes on strike is arrested and taken to some reeducation camp. I'm not trying to defend them, but this is what we're up against. In my opinion, we should take Trump's lead on this and cut EPA, cut taxes, cut the lawsuits and liability, and hit China with tariffs for cheating, and then our companies will be free to compete. Whether they do a good job is up to them.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,939,123 times
To the best of my knowledge, the USA has not been under this kind of restrictions since WWII. My parents told me about gas rationing, sugar rationing, even tires. Automobile production ceased. So very similar but at least you could go out, work, etc.

btw. the worst in my memory (67) is the 82-83 recession. Construction in the USA was almost at at standstill. Couldn't hardly sell a house because of interest rates and very few jobs. It was bad.

Finally, I'm open to this being a plot by the deep state, dems, media to unseat Trump. Weird stuff keeps cropping up. Only 15-20 patients on this US navy hospital ship. I thought NYC was overwhelmed? India only has about 3000 cases of this disease, yet they live in very cramped and poor conditions mostly in cities, and it sure isn't very clean. Even Mexico hasn't had a big problem. What gives? And why all this fuss of quarantine, when we know most of the cases are in old people, and very old people with significant comorbidities.

Last edited by augiedogie; 04-04-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics