Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 07:00 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Quarantine them where?
In homes, in hotels, in vacant buildings set aside for that specific purpose. Some degree of compulsion would be required to keep people from ignoring two week quarantine orders.

Are you seriously arguing we should do away with all social distancing restrictions and just let everyone be exposed to this disease? BTW, in many localities the group between 20-50 accounts for over 50% of all hospital admissions from coronavirus. Don't minimize its impact on younger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 07:56 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Millions will die anyway. The people we are "saving" are very, very sick, and weak. They'll all be dead my Christmas.

The rest of us will be left to deal with the aftermath of destroying the economy. We were led down the wrong path.
Well, you can get even by going to visit some old people you don't like.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
We will eventually have an effective vaccine for this disease
That's not a given.

Quote:
but its going to take a year.
That's probably the best case.

Not only does a vaccine need to be effective, but we need it not to do other bad things to a human body, such as severely damage the liver or kidneys.

Then there is the entire issue of manufacturing a vaccine & administering it to billions of people around the globe.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Regarding the economics of it all - this forum - yes, it's a ton of damage. I would not compare it to the damage if we had done X instead of Y - but compare it the damage if several million people DID actually die in the next 20 days. Speculate on that. Because that's your option. Not the other stuff.
That is "Plan B." Effectively, we'll probably see Plan B in some 3rd world countries.

Take Ecuador's most populous city, Guayaquil's. Including suburbs, Guayaquil's population is a little smaller than is Chicago's including its suburbs.

In Guayaquil, family members carry people too sick to walk from hospital to hospital, being turned away because there are no beds or no doctors, as the doctors are in some cases staying home to care for their own family members. They return home, and the sick die in their own beds.

No funeral homes or morticians will come get the corpses. They are full, the employees are either sick or afraid of getting sick or are home caring for their own sick family members.

Once the corpse starts to smell, they put it out on the sidewalk, covering it with a tarp.

If we implement "Plan B" in the USA, the damage likely would extend to social upheaval. It isn't merely that lots of people die at home from the disease, and are eventually put on the sidewalks or buried in their backyards.

Very rapidly, migrant farm workers will no longer show up to work. There will be no one to pick fruit and vegetables, as they will be be sick, afraid of getting sick, or caring for their own sick family members.

Very rapidly, meat packing, fish packing, and chicken packing packing plants will close because no one will show up to work. Employees will be sick, afraid of getting sick, or caring for their own sick family members.

Hospitals would close for the same reason - it would be a bit like hospitals in the wake of Hurricane Katrina - few or no nurses, doctors, or support staff. A handful of dedicated professionals would be faced with the unthinkable - abandon the sick to die alone or mass euthanasia.

Trucking and warehousing would stop dead. No employees.

Grocery stores, Costco, Amazon, UPS & FedEx - everything would close - no employees, and even if there were employees, there would be nothing on the shelves.

No gasoline stations, as they would all be out of gas with no truckers bringing fuel.

I'm not sure about electric power generating plants. I suspect coal-powered plants would stop, as there would be no coal. I don't know about gas-fired plants - they would stop, but not right away. Employees at nuclear power plants would go through emergency mothball procedures before turning out the lights.

No operational police or fire departments.

Type 1 diabetics would die, as there would be no insulin. Anyone with chronic diseases that require medicine for survival wouldn't survive.

As the food supplies rapidly dried up, riots would not be far behind, at least until people were too sick.

A complete breakdown of society. On another thread someone said "I'm not worried about running out of toilet paper. I have guns & know how to use them, so other people's stash of TP will become MY stash of TP."

Of course, all the above is wildly hypothetical. It might play out entirely differently.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 04-10-2020 at 08:59 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 10:26 AM

609 posts, read 265,051 times
Quote:
You can pull out exceptions, maybe hundreds of exceptions, but the data shows it's almost completely the old and sick.
[/i]
Well, how dare those people want to keep living. <cringe>

I have a friend getting chemo for breast cancer and she falls into that category you're referring to. Patients getting chemo are more frail and more likely to die from getting a virus. She isn't old, btw, she's young. But you would rather see her die so you can drive a BMW instead of a Toyota. So you won't wind up having to work shifts at Wal Mart for extra money. So you can keep going out to lunch at nice restaurants.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:40 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
What a load of Malarkey. It was no secret that Italy was riddled with Covid-19 long before the NYC debacle. Plus, community spread was well underway on the West Coast at the time.

We dithered and minimized and pretended it wasn't happening.

I remember a crapload of data being scrubbed from the CDC's website in late Feb, because I had to go hunting on Twitter to find the truth about what was happening.
Proof? Anyone can make any claim. I highly doubt the CDC truly scrubbed anything. I mean I know Trump acted like it was no big deal but I think the information wasn't getting out to the WHO fast enough. Partially due to China. The fact is all countries were China, especially the US and the UK due to poor leadership. Trump isn't a leader and we knew that. Johnson led Britain into a similar spot.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post

I have a friend getting chemo for breast cancer and she falls into that category you're referring to. Patients getting chemo are more frail and more likely to die from getting a virus. She isn't old, btw, she's young. But you would rather see her die so you can drive a BMW instead of a Toyota. So you won't wind up having to work shifts at Wal Mart for extra money. So you can keep going out to lunch at nice restaurants.
I honestly don't get the logic you speak of. I mean that is how America always was, because it was a cash colony. Hell religion is ingrained because of how many early settlers came for religious freedom too. The fact is, this is a death panel especially for those that should stay home. We don't know how many people should stay home as the high risk groups always seem to add another (which is common in ongoing situations.)

I have curtailed most spending especially in this month. I think I only had a handful of expenses and most were food for my parents, some alcohol, a car oil change, bills and a urgent care visit (that I'm planning on using my HSA for.) However, i will likely be forced to work in summer. I usually do, that's not the point, but it will be harder to get a job.

Right now, I work at home as a school support staff. I typically work with kids who have behavioural issues. In fact today was set to be my last day home as per the the second close close order by the state. Now I'm paid off, but that ends at the end of the school year in a month and a half. For about 9/10 weeks, who knows? I normally work a district summer camp but it is up in the air what happens. Unless there are more stimulus checks (something that should be due to all the donut holes in unemployment) or unemployment is opened up to school workers in summer, then I'm screwed.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:13 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
In homes, in hotels, in vacant buildings set aside for that specific purpose. Some degree of compulsion would be required to keep people from ignoring two week quarantine orders.

Are you seriously arguing we should do away with all social distancing restrictions and just let everyone be exposed to this disease? BTW, in many localities the group between 20-50 accounts for over 50% of all hospital admissions from coronavirus. Don't minimize its impact on younger people.

As I said you can present anecdotal examples and throw out unverified claims but I gave the aggregate death demographics with reference.

I asked where because we have not been doing that and don't have housing set aside for it for hundreds of thousands to be quarantined. Sending people home presumes that everyone lives alone. Most don't.

Except in a few locations, hospitals around the country are empty. They are eager for hospital admissions and would admit you for a sniffle if you let them.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post

Your friend is the one that needs to isolate. And it isn't about loss of luxuries but about the means of tens of millions to make a living.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:36 AM

609 posts, read 265,051 times
Quote:
Your friend is the one that needs to isolate. And it isn't about loss of luxuries but about the means of tens of millions to make a living.
She cannot isolate when she has to go to the hospital for her treatments where there is a higher chance of catching the corona virus. Obviously you've never been a cancer patient - good for you.

But you're missing the point that the virus will also lead to many other illnesses and deaths, indirectly. If left unchecked, our hospitals will be overflowing and you won't be able to get any kind of surgery unless it's a dire emergency - and maybe not even then. Take a look at New York City. That's our future if we don't make some changes.

And when 80% orf the population is sick, you cannot force them to keep grinding out wealth so that your stock portfolio can go back up again. Oh, and guess what? I bet I lost more money in the stock market than you did. I"m not crying about it. I will work at Wal Mart if I have to.

As for "making a living" there are jobs being advertised right now, and many, many people are still working. Many businesses are still open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics