Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 04:33 PM

14,330 posts, read 11,733,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Lots of laundry places now have a card system, where you charge it up with a credit card or cash bills then use in the machines as needed. Some can even recharge online or have an auto-topoff feature.

Granted I'm talking from doing this mainly in Asia and Europe, I'm assuming this has caught on in USA as well but not really sure.
The last time I used a laundromat was about 8 years ago when my washer broke, and yes, they had this card system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 04:22 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,140,266 times
Paper money really has no paper in it's composition. It is a form of linen similar to your t-shirt.

My friends in Calgary asked me back in the 90's if we were ever going to lose the penny and go to a 1$ coin (like they went to the Loon)

I happened to have a 1$ bill and a penny on me. I showed them the faces on that currency and all was understood.

Canadians know more about the USA than "graduates" from the LAUSD.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Paper money really has no paper in it's composition. It is a form of linen similar to your t-shirt.

My friends in Calgary asked me back in the 90's if we were ever going to lose the penny and go to a 1$ coin (like they went to the Loon)

I happened to have a 1$ bill and a penny on me. I showed them the faces on that currency and all was understood.

Canadians know more about the USA than "graduates" from the LAUSD.
IMO this isn't a good enough reason to keep something that is frankly archaic. It cost more to make a penny, than it is worth.

Getting rid of the penny in Canada has been wonderful. Nobody misses them. Having one dollar and two dollar coins isn't bad either. You just spend them as you go.

All our notes now are polymer. I think they look great, but kind of preferred the less slippery notes we had before. However, cash is being used less and less.
During this pandemic, I haven't used cash at all and don't actually mind.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think we could safely make a dime the smallest coin at this point, and eliminate the quarter, nickel and penny. We'd have to up the production of the 50 cent piece though. Prices would have to round to the nearest 10 cents, but many people don't want the pennies anyway. Certainly one doesn't want to spend the pennies....so they're only good for one transaction...making change, and then they go out of circulation, stuffed away in a home jar of some sort.

In the meantime, to help address the issue, we can all go to our coin depositories we have at home and actively try to use more change in making our purchases. I'm not saying make a $20.28 purchase all in pennies, but giving exact change would be helpful.
I use pennies in transactions like fast food. I dump change into the console and then back out for drive-thu transactions.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,585,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
IMHO, get rid of the penny and dollar bill.

Replace with dollar coin and two dollar bill.

Round sales needing pennies to nearest nickel.
Fragal peeps are cringing.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,714,103 times
Quote:

Why bother?

Scrap an entire decimal point. The dime is already the smallest coin anyway.

So, that means the cent and the nickel are out. Toss the quarter, too (since it's a fraction of a dollar to two decimal points). Keep the fifty-cent piece - but without the cent, nickel or quarter, it can be made much smaller (somewhere between the size of the current cent and nickel).

Which brings us to the dollar coin. It's just too big, right? Well, with the cent and nickel and quarter gone, and the fifty-cent piece radically downsized, the new dollar coins could be slightly bigger than the current nickel and slightly smaller than the current quarter. That way, a few dollars worth of change in your pocket would amount to less in terms of size and mass than a buck now.

This is a perfect and eminently sensible solution. Which, of course, means it has zero chance of being implemented.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:06 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
I'm not paying in cash. And what I do pay in cash, I'm not accepting coin. My spouse does not like the sound of coins in the washer or dryer

Old 06-28-2020, 10:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,060,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I agree with getting rid of the penny. However, the one dollar bill hasn't been eliminated because it is very popular. Politicians have tried to get us to use dollar coins before. We have the Susan B. Anthony dollar, but its never been very popular.
The mint has botched the rollout of dollar coins, and has never learned the obvious lessons.

They need to make the dollar coin distinct from the quarter, which hadn’t been done. Look at the UK pound, the EU euro, or the Canadian dollar (loony). All can be distinguished from other coins by sight or touch.

The other necessary step is to stop printing dollar bills. Do both of these things and the US can have a successful dollar coin.

I agree with getting rid of the penny and nickel as well. They are useless.

Old 06-28-2020, 11:56 PM

4,542 posts, read 12,413,058 times
Wow! I sure gave out a lot of reputation points on this thread. I agree with so many of you.

Drop the Penny and the Nickel. The Dime makes a perfectly good lowest denomination coin. It's current value is that of a penny in 1951 and nobody felt we needed a smaller than penny denomination back then. In fact, the current value of a dime is nearly the value of the Half Cent when it was discontinued in 1867.

Get rid of the Quarter (Oh the Horrors!) because as was said, it goes 2 places past the decimal point. However, rejuvenate the Half Dollar as an easy to carry coin, but maybe not as small as 2x3x29x41 suggested. That seemed a wee bit too small.

Having eliminated 3 coins, turn the $1 and $2 and $5 bills into coins only. Coins are actually less expensive for the mint to make than bills because they last so much longer and we can outdo those Canadians at their own game!

We would have 5 circulating coins, which tills have room for.

Leave the $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills to continue circulating. I know the Treasury hates $100 bills because they assist in money laundering, but inflation is slowly taking care of that problem.

These changes have been needed for at least 25 years.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:39 AM

6,364 posts, read 2,910,752 times
Quote:

Canada eliminated the penny years ago and it has worked out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics