Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 07:22 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
A report from Capital Economics published on Tuesday found that the Swedish economy was the least harmed in Europe

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-7-1029415101#

https://research.cdn-1.capitaleconom...-in-europe.pdf
What they did was risky but there's no doubt its better for the economy and also people's mental and social health.

Sweden's deaths per capita were higher than their next door neighbors but lower than several nation nearby so hard to say how the health affects fared especially since we are still facing the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 07:37 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my county, at least, the lock-downs achieved exactly what they were designed to achieve: after two months, daily new cases were down to around 100 and some days even lower, and hospitals had plenty of unused capacity.

And, on computer screen, the re-opening plan, with all its "guidelines" for every conceivable sector, looked damned impressive too.

Problem is, after the lock-down and into so-called phase one of reopening, too many people on the ground did not follow the "guidelines" on all those computer screens.

Though I can't understand why bars and restaurants and other non-essential social gathering venues were part of so-called phase one.

So they back-tracked at least on bars and restaurants and imposed a 10PM-6AM curfew. But it was too late, and county daily new case rates have skyrocketed to around 2,500-3,000 per day, hospitals are near or beyond capacity, and there is no relief in sight.

Prolonged?

The lock-down lasted two months, should have been four. Now it will probably take another eight months to get back to where we were after two months of lock-downs.

The US economy has the means to go essentials-only for four months, even as many as nine months without serious inflation kicking in under the right set of industrial, trade and migration policies.

In the event, lack of effective national and state-level leadership is a reflection of lack of common sense, discipline and short-term greed among the people.

People who get what they deserve, and unfortunately taking the prudent along with them.

By the way, nothing meaningful will change after November 3rd.

Good Luck!
It continues to amaze me how many people think social dining is safe, given that you obviously cannot eat while wearing a mask. Bars and restaurants should remain closed while the government massively invests in some sort of shielding that would allow them to reopen safely, and all other businesses have to require masks, there is no other way to make reopening work, absent South Korea-level contact tracing.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:08 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The Japanese were overconfident too. Recall the official who claimed its early CV-19 success was due to cultural superiority or some similar nonsense. The Japanese have set CV-19 records each of the last 4 days.

Vietnam as well has seen spikes the last few days.

My point isn't that masks don't help. Clearly masks help. However, your claim that Taiwan has done well so far near exclusively because of masks is silly and defies all sorts of objective evidence.

Yes Taiwanese wear masks. Taiwan also has a near police state vis a vis pandemic controls, which for whatever reason you seem unable to acknowledge.

One spin off of Taiwanese infection control that is genius, similar was developed by Google and Apple months ago, is cell phone number generator volunteer tracking. Apparently though in Taiwan it's not strictly voluntary. I have a video link somewhere I'll post.
They cheat. They don't test people. Sick people are being refused tests.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52466834

Old 08-02-2020, 09:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Obviously you hate Trump, I didn't vote for the guy, I vote for myself in every Presidential election, but that's for a later discussion. If a president/leader/dictator needs to hold your hand and baby you, there is no hope for whatever country you live in.

It's called common sense, either you have it or you don't and like the late, great George Carlin once said, "Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."

I know you will disagree with my on this, and that's OK, but if Hillary was president, half the people in this country still wouldn't listen to her and we would have the same amount of cases and deaths. It's not the leadership, it's the citizens!
I disagree. People follow a consistent message. When you have leadership that lies, gas lights, politicizes, and follows a dangerous path like Trump did. You have a divided response.

I don't understand your bizarre narrative about government holding my hand?

This has nothing to do with government holding our hands and everything to do with what a great response to Covid is and what a totally botched response to Covid is. Trump blew it. Most of us here in America barring the koolaid drinkers know it. Hate? I'm madder than hell having to live like this in America. This never should have happened. We dealt with SARS in 2003 on our soil. We dealt with the 2009 N1N1 pandemic. If you research our response to both you will understand how bad this Covid response has been. Lying about it early on, having no plan or pandemic response office because it was eliminated, not having all the best people in place, including in the CDC? Africa is doing better at controlling Covid than we are here. " But in the face of spreading misinformation about the virus, Ouma concedes that the CDC is not where we would like to be," Source: CBC RADIO " Lessons from Ebola have helped keep Conid-19 cases low in Africa, says top public health official." So much for a s hole country. We look like a s hole country compared to Africa's Covid response now. How could you not be mad about this? Do you like living this way? Did you see the second quarter GDP numbers? Government holding our hand? How about just having a competent one that handled this pandemic in the right way?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:27 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
Sweden's amount of doctors is very limited compared to other countries, so they're not gonna show a high amount of testing.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...hcarewhen.html

Old 08-02-2020, 11:01 PM

108 posts, read 121,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
What they did was risky but there's no doubt its better for the economy and also people's mental and social health.

Sweden's deaths per capita were higher than their next door neighbors but lower than several nation nearby so hard to say how the health affects fared especially since we are still facing the pandemic.
The death rate per capita of Sweden is about 30% higher than in the US.
We're among the top 5 countries with the highest death rate, US is not.

And the economy is shot anyways...

Old 08-02-2020, 11:03 PM

108 posts, read 121,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Sweden's amount of doctors is very limited compared to other countries, so they're not gonna show a high amount of testing.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...hcarewhen.html
Another kicker, Sweden barely tests anyone who is asymptomatic. But it does vary from county to county. My dad, 71 years, has been tested 3-4 times because he's been going in and out to the hospital. Other reasons, still negative!

And we had several doctors blowing the whistle on the way Sweden handle the virus, and they've been shutdown by the gov't and media.
So yeah...

Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
So these prolonged lockdowns didn't really achieve the desired results...
Just over 20 miles from NYC which got hit the hardest... early on... with little knowledge about COVID19 and with little time to prepare.

We were never on lockdown.... never... so I have no idea why people keep perpetuating this notion.

What we did have across the country is a mishmash of stupidity driven by politics rather than medical, science, and common sense. That's the real reason for our inability to achieve desired results.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:05 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
The population of Sweden: 10 million - Dead: 5,743

Germany: 83 million - Dead 9,226

USA: 330 million - Dead 157,000

Old 08-03-2020, 02:51 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sweden's overall death rate (CV-19 vs. population) and is higher than The US and as with a good number of countries its death rate per total number of CV-19 positive tests is very high, I haven't looked in a while but it was quite a bit worse than 2x that of The US a couple of weeks ago.

I have watched the "deaths per million." Several weeks ago Sweden's was about 1.5 times that of the U.S. It's now down to 1.189 and falling quickly.

Those who said Sweden was a disaster spoke too soon: it isn't over until it's over. Speaking of over, it looks like it may be over in Sweden, while other countries are either still surging or having a second wave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics