Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Taiwan’s GDP is projected to grow 1.5% this year. 7 people out of a population of 24 million died of Covid-19 versus 5,700 deaths in Sweden out of a population of 10 million.

There was never a lockdown of any kind in Taiwan. Schools, restaurants and other businesses remained open and operating normally the whole time. Social distancing was impossible in Taiwan’s densely populated cities.

The last community transmission of Covid 19 was in April. The last death was in May.

Why? Ask anyone here from the top down and they’ll tell you it was primarily because 95% of the population wore medical grade surgical masks without complaint from Day 1 which the government made readily available for 15 cents each.
That's woefully incomplete. Taiwan has electronic medical records per citizen that healthcare workers, contract tracers and cops can scour at any time. What Taiwan did right was it scoured all contacts from the first many dozens of cases. Their government used CCTV, cell phone records and medical records in ways that would never pass legal muster here.

Masks help. But blind mask worship does no one any favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:07 PM

2,264 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being an island nation, that is 98% homogeneous, with 6,000+ years of history and most if not all the people being "on the same page" doesn't hurt either, just saying!
Taiwan should have been a disaster zone as in 2003 when 73 people died of SARS in Taiwan and zero in the U.S. before it burnt itself out. A hundred miles from China. Tens of thousands of Taiwanese working in China flooding back into the country early in the pandemic. One of the most densely populated countries on earth. Wet markets everywhere.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's woefully incomplete. Taiwan has electronic medical records per citizen that healthcare workers, contract tracers and cops can scour at any time. What Taiwan did right was it scoured all contacts from the first many dozens of cases. Their government used CCTV, cell phone records and medical records in ways that would never pass legal muster here.

Masks help. But blind mask worship does no one any favors.
I live in Taiwan so I saw first hand what happened. My wife and kids were in quarantine in March in a quarantine hotel where I visited them daily after they returned from the U.S. so don't tell me about contact tracers. The fact is the quarantine regime was full of holes. What worked was almost universal wearing of face masks. Maskophobia is why the U.S. is such a pandemic ****hole these days while Covid-19 is a dim memory in Taiwan today.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 PM

108 posts, read 121,053 times
Living in Sweden, I can say this and you can take it for what it's worth;

1. No face masks whatsoever. No one is wearing it basically, no mandates to any stores or the likes. The gov't claims there are no studies that it actually works.
2. One of the highest mortality rates per capita in the world.
3. Our retirees suffered the most, no oxygen in the homes but sick people were given morphine, which made them suffocate.
4. Most places of business won't enforce social distancing rules.
5. Most people seem to not care.
6. The economy and healthcare was crap before COVID-19, and our neighbors are doing better, Norway, Finland, Denmark etc. Look at their total cases and deaths.

I traveled to the US in June/July, passing through Denmark.
What a difference. Face masks mandatory in Denmark and everywhere in the US. Sure people chose not to wear them 24/7, but most people do.

Why people seem to think Sweden handled this the right way, I do not understand.
However, I do believe it was the right thing not to shut down the country and put everybody in lockdown. I don't see how a gov't could tell me or anyone else, I'm not allowed to go outside, go to work, or anything like that. I was very surprised that passed in the US.

Anyways, that was my 2 cents, do with it what you wish.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:14 AM

Being pansies about something as simple as wearing a face mask is what doomed Trump's presidency.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Taiwan should have been a disaster zone as in 2003 when 73 people died of SARS in Taiwan and zero in the U.S. before it burnt itself out. A hundred miles from China. Tens of thousands of Taiwanese working in China flooding back into the country early in the pandemic. One of the most densely populated countries on earth. Wet markets everywhere.
Like I said, being 98% homogeneous, with 6,000+ years of history and most if not all the people being "on the same page" does have it's advantages, in the US which is only 244 years old, very diverse and equally divided, getting everyone in the US to do something in unison is like herding cats, have you ever tried herding cats before!

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-31-2020 at 04:16 AM..

Old 07-31-2020, 07:15 AM

295 posts, read 143,640 times
i dont consider sweden a major economy with 10 m people. hell my former county in calif had 10m in it alone

Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happly retired View Post
i dont consider sweden a major economy with 10 m people. hell my former county in calif had 10m in it alone
They’re in the 20 to 25 range so not irrelevant but yes imo a third tier.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I live in Taiwan so I saw first hand what happened. My wife and kids were in quarantine in March in a quarantine hotel where I visited them daily after they returned from the U.S. so don't tell me about contact tracers. The fact is the quarantine regime was full of holes. What worked was almost universal wearing of face masks. Maskophobia is why the U.S. is such a pandemic ****hole these days while Covid-19 is a dim memory in Taiwan today.
I'm not telling you anything. Just warning others that your thesis and conclusions above are absurd to the point of broaching the intersection between dishonesty and ignorance.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
Living in Sweden, I can say this and you can take it for what it's worth;

1. No face masks whatsoever. No one is wearing it basically, no mandates to any stores or the likes. The gov't claims there are no studies that it actually works.
2. One of the highest mortality rates per capita in the world.
3. Our retirees suffered the most, no oxygen in the homes but sick people were given morphine, which made them suffocate.
4. Most places of business won't enforce social distancing rules.
5. Most people seem to not care.
6. The economy and healthcare was crap before COVID-19, and our neighbors are doing better, Norway, Finland, Denmark etc. Look at their total cases and deaths.

I traveled to the US in June/July, passing through Denmark.
What a difference. Face masks mandatory in Denmark and everywhere in the US. Sure people chose not to wear them 24/7, but most people do.

Why people seem to think Sweden handled this the right way, I do not understand.
However, I do believe it was the right thing not to shut down the country and put everybody in lockdown. I don't see how a gov't could tell me or anyone else, I'm not allowed to go outside, go to work, or anything like that. I was very surprised that passed in the US.

Anyways, that was my 2 cents, do with it what you wish.

Thanks for that. I always get a kick from ignorant left-wing Americans who point to Sweden as some sort of economic paradise but that's a discussion for another time.

Good luck to you and those dear going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics