Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 04:04 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
There are eight world reserve currencies, and smart money is spreading the risk across the board. The dollar is not the only game in town.
Any currency held in significant quantities by foreign banks or other monetary authorities as part of their foreign exchange reserves are reserve currencies.
But the greenback is still the biggest in the game... until the game changes.
That is when things will get VERY interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Is Stocks/financial markets, the new subprime mortgages? Mortgages you have to pay back. Stocks you dont, unless you short sold, and are margin called. Bonds and like you do though.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:58 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Any currency held in significant quantities by foreign banks or other monetary authorities as part of their foreign exchange reserves are reserve currencies.
But the greenback is still the biggest in the game... until the game changes.
That is when things will get VERY interesting.
I was referring to the eight currencies recognized as reserve currencies by the IMF.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 PM

156 posts, read 97,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
America already has the finances of a poor, failing country. We're not quite living like one just yet due to our reserve currency status. But once that goes, we'll be on a fast track to third world status, don't you worry.
On the bright side that means the world will be outsourcing jobs back to us.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:47 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,864,874 times
Things have been bad since the mid 1970s.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:17 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
We are never returning to the "good ol' days" of 2019. Those levels of consumption and activity are gone for good. From here on out, there will only be a horrific economic decline. It doesn't even matter what happens to Covid at this point.

Luckily the leaders and winners in society think different than you. In the U.S army field manual, it reads simply that other than death, ALL failure is psychological.

The U.S has had hard times. The British military seized Washington and burned the White House to the ground. There’s been a civil war. Our most important city had it’s skyline incinerated and the pentagon was attacked. We’ve had depressions. We’ve had multiple pandemics. World wars. Our proudest ships sent to the sea floor. Inflation. Deflation. Presidential assassinations. The threat of nuclear war. Natural disasters. Great cities like Chicago and San Francisco burned to ash. They came back better.

Oh, but this problem, this catastrophe is going to be it. See, not everyone thinks with a losers mindset. You will have setbacks. You will lose battles. You retool. You retreat. You come back. You continue to fight. You learn and you get better.

All failure is psychological, until you’re dead.

In typical doomer fashion, you can’t fathom the concept. And of course, you say 2019 is the high point, while saying oh all these other decades were zero growth. So wasn’t the high point 40 years ago? Or oh the high point was 1945. Or was it 1990? Or was it 1890? Or maybe the high point was the year before the civil war ravaged the country?

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-20-2020 at 07:36 AM..

Old 08-20-2020, 03:32 PM

131 posts, read 42,089 times
Well this country does have a track record nearing 250 years of withstanding ANYTHING the universe could throw at her. So as compelling as a fantasy story about her demise may be from an intellectual standpoint, I’m going to deduce that this is yet another in a long line of failed doomsday predictions.

I apologize to you in advance if THIS is THE prediction of all predictions that actually comes true. I simply don’t have the mental energy to seriously engage in discussing these predictions.

When it comes to life, we all have to gamble and let it ride at some point. My lack of concern is ultimately my way gambling on something in life.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregontoGeorgia View Post
Well this country does have a track record nearing 250 years of withstanding ANYTHING the universe could throw at her. So as compelling as a fantasy story about her demise may be from an intellectual standpoint, I’m going to deduce that this is yet another in a long line of failed doomsday predictions.

I apologize to you in advance if THIS is THE prediction of all predictions that actually comes true. I simply don’t have the mental energy to seriously engage in discussing these predictions.

When it comes to life, we all have to gamble and let it ride at some point. My lack of concern is ultimately my way gambling on something in life.
Well besides the Civil War, what has been thrown at us? Seems we have been doing most of the throwing actually.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 42,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well besides the Civil War, what has been thrown at us? Seems we have been doing most of the throwing actually.
Dont know....I just know 250 years and still here. Lots of failed doomsday predictions along the way.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:14 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A lot. Read my post about 2 posts up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics