Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 02:29 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
And speaking of medical care! So many are living, living longer or more healthy due to medical advances compared to the good old days.
I don't buy this argument, either. You have millions that have no health insurance now. In fact, health insurance has become borderline unaffordable for even the middle class (ask me how I know!).

When I was a kid every single family, even the very poorest, had health insurance. To go without was nothing short of unthinkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 03:00 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You just now realized that?
There is a fella by the name Adam Smith. he is founder of modern economics.

Mr Smith was the first one to mention that, market can develop only to certain extant, until it is limited by another market or, geographical limitations.
This lead to a very basic conclusion.
Living on a globe, eventually, every market runs out of simple space to expand into.
That was "fixed" in 1970s, by switching to loose reins consumer credit.

Instead of industrial development, market went into financial development.
Now, you have debts that, simply, can NOT be paid off. Not even interests on them.
You know what hit the fan.
That's it.

World needs to switch to a new economic system and, that's exactly what is going on right now. Transition was supposed to be 8 years but, COVID came handy and compressed 4 years out of 8 into, pretty much, one.
The rest will follow.

And, btw, buying capacity of the average US household is now at the level of 1957. How about that..
We'll get a new economic model- one based on ecological subsistence rather than infinite growth and infinite debt expansion. Our current economic model is fundamentally unsustainable, and all unsustainable things must collapse

The future I see resembles the middle-ages far more than the Jetsons.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:16 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
I don't buy this argument, either. You have millions that have no health insurance now. In fact, health insurance has become borderline unaffordable for even the middle class (ask me how I know!).

When I was a kid every single family, even the very poorest, had health insurance. To go without was nothing short of unthinkable.
You can buy the argument, because medical advances are good for everyone. Even with no insurance when the ****z hit the fan. People live longer and can be healthier and more productive longer.

Medical care is not cheap until we reach 65.

Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You can buy the argument, because medical advances are good for everyone. Even with no insurance when the ****z hit the fan. People live longer and can be healthier and more productive longer.

Medical care is not cheap until we reach 65.
It matters not if the advances are real or not, it matters if people have ACCESS to those advances. Increasingly people do not.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:17 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
The average amount Americans spend on healthcare annually out of pocket is a lot lower than you think, as are average insurance premiums.

Quote:
The number of Americans with insurance shot up sharply after ACA, and today about 90% of Americans have health insurance.

Regarding your memories, when you were a kid did you really have a grasp on how many American families had health insurance? According to this the percentage of Americans with health insurance was much lower than 90% all the way back to 1980:

Do you have any source saying 100% of families had insurance? What time frame are we talking in your childhood when this 100% coverage existed?

Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
It matters not if the advances are real or not, it matters if people have ACCESS to those advances. Increasingly people do not.
Lack of access is a problem.

But I don't even know anyone who doesn't have access!

lol

Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yea I’m going to stick with what I said. Not everything is black and white and can be measured so easily.
Exactly, which is why it's so funny watching you trying to make absolute statements about "well-being" using metrics like how many Americans need coffee to get going in the morning.

Old 08-10-2020, 05:01 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,216,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Exactly, which is why it's so funny watching you trying to make absolute statements about "well-being" using metrics like how many Americans need coffee to get going in the morning.
You win. You happy now? I hope your sense of well being has risen as a result....

Old 08-10-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
You win. You happy now? I hope your sense of well being has risen as a result....
What? I don't accept you trying to measure the quality of life in America by using random made-up things like how many Americans need coffee in the morning, therefore it's you're taking your ball and going home since it's my fault?

Pffft.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:06 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Sorry you feel that you can’t command value for yourself.
Depends on how much. I own a car, and apartment. But a lot of people have car, and a place to live. Probably not valuable since new cars can be made, and my area is seeing a lot of RE development. Now each is worth a certain number of currency units. But how valuable is each unit is not something I control as there are people out there that can just make up new currency units whenever they want in all practicality.

I have money in my bank account and some stocks, and a job. I dont think I can trade my job for something of value though. As for stocks, same thing with the currency units. There are those that can split old stocks in half creating new ones. In turn, means no one really ever has to come to me to buy my stocks. Cant really up sell like that.

Plus no one really commands value for themselves. It is always determined by others for the most part. If I sell my apartment likely someone take out a bank loan, which means more new money is created, diluting the current supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics