Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 03:30 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm a member on a couple of gun-boards. As you know a sub-set, maybe 5 or 7%, of gun enthusiasts are when will tSHTF types as such end of civilization discussions pop up from time to time. I'm of the opinion that G&S wouldn't be the rage in such scenarios but instead tools, casting equipment, know how, land and crops/livestock will be. Barter would be easier than lugging around junk silver for example and in such a time the daily value of G&S would be variable per transaction creating endless problems.

It would be easier for a bad actor to steal your G&S than my land or oil and gas production.

I think many G&S buyers are concerned with a currency reset than a SHTF scenario... at least I am.

To me bitcoin has the potential to go to zero - but it's all the rage right now. At some point something is going to give - who knows when and what it will look like. Turn off the power and poof it's gone.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:36 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I think many G&S buyers are concerned with a currency reset than a SHTF scenario... at least I am.

To me bitcoin has the potential to go to zero - but it's all the rage right now. At some point something is going to give - who knows when and what it will look like. Turn off the power and poof it's gone.
Bitcoin is dependent on highly complex systems and networks for its existence- systems and networks that can very easily break down in an severe economic crisis.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:48 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post

Thanks for the reasoned response.

My problem with the currency reset arguments is they never stop. People have made these arguments in The US since The Depression.

I've had a couple drinks so I'll be over-candid and I'm guesstimating as I haven't done any sort of line by line analysis. That said I'd bet my net worth is 30x - maybe more - higher today than it would have been if I had been an aggressive G&S buyer over investing in oil and gas, stocks and land. If 90% of my NW is wiped out in any reset I'm still better off.

To my way of thinking a currency reset would be a SHTF scenario.

I agree with you on bitcoin.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:49 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Bitcoin is dependent on highly complex systems and networks for its existence- systems and networks that can very easily break down in an severe economic crisis.
We agree on something!

Old 11-05-2020, 04:37 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Another thing— half of Biden voters will want Trump back after Biden takes office as a senile man, when he starts caving into adversaries/enemies, when he lets all the illegals in, raises taxes etc.

I don’t want to hear a GD word of it when people start complaining. Already a family member who bashed Trump for the last 4 years is saying they wished Trump won and are terrified. This person is worth 7 figures.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
Chill out dude. The Senate is kept by the Repubs. How much damage can really be done.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:11 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Never understand it,how do you pay for Bitcoins?

Old 11-05-2020, 05:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Nooo. Invest in chickens. Gold does not reproduce and you cannot eat it. In fact, you may not even be able to trade it since it has no actual utility. Ammunition, knives, even iron or steel ingots. Maybe coal. fruit trees.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:19 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Chill out dude. The Senate is kept by the Repubs. How much damage can really be done.
This is how it all starts. If Joe Biden can win AOC can win one day.

I clearly said I wasn’t totally serious with this thread to begin with....not yet at least.

Old 11-05-2020, 05:24 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nooo. Invest in chickens. Gold does not reproduce and you cannot eat it. In fact, you may not even be able to trade it since it has no actual utility. Ammunition, knives, even iron or steel ingots. Maybe coal. fruit trees.
Guns, ammo, chickens, coal, knives...None of those are money- and money in some form or another will always be relevant. Gold and silver are the purest and most honest forms of money. Gold does have utility- as jewelry, in electronics, etc. And let's not even get started on silver- which is the second most versatile commodity after only oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics