Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 08:55 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
For those waiters pulling in a grand a week or more in tips, I wonder how much of that cash appears in Box 1 on their W2 or tax return...
I'm not a waiter but crewing on and running a charter boat a large percentage of my income had been in tips, especially when a mate on an offshore charter boat. That being said, I report all tips as it is income. Yes, some don't but they are only hurting themselves.

As a self employed seasonal fisherman I have gotten a mortgage, several trucks new and 2 boat loans as well as credit cards. If I never reported those tips I would not have gotten that. I got approved for my mortgage at the end of 2010, when they were hard to get, especially for the self employed!

IMO, if one doesn't report their tips, they aren't thinking ahead! How can one buy a house with little t no income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 09:14 PM

40 posts, read 26,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I know in some restaurants,the waiter/waitress does not get paid from the employer,he/she relies strictly on tips.
Is this legal,or it is between the employer and employee?
One waitress was so angry after serving a party at a buffet place and received no tip,she chased them into the street shouting Dont call Back,dont come back.
She was fired !
The American tipping system is BS. Pay your people a living wage and factor that price into your menu. Super Simple Stuff

Old 02-09-2021, 10:34 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandle Pete View Post
The American tipping system is BS. Pay your people a living wage and factor that price into your menu. Super Simple Stuff
Our tipping system works great. Servers are able directly influence their incomes via effort and brains or not.

Old 02-10-2021, 12:51 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandle Pete View Post
Markets determine wages ...

A job is only worth what it is worth , not what it takes you to live ....that which anyone can do or that which we can do for ourselves are worth very little .

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king .

If we all had some disease and could not move our arms those who could pour coffee would get paid like doctors.

Tipping is a way for many low level jobs to get more than they are worth

Old 02-10-2021, 08:37 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Maybe the waitress should get a lobbyist since you say it’s so lucrative.
Your flippancy is rather astounding. Bet it sounded pithy in your head.

Quote:
One of the biggest “loopholes†for Amazon is equity compensation deductions. Everyone gets all up in arms about the billions in tax deductions they take for this expense. No one ever mentions that for every dollar of expense, someone had to recognize a dollar of taxable income, usually at a much higher individual tax rate than the 21% corporate rate. And they had to pay Medicare and the additionalObamacare payroll taxes or Social Security on top of it. The government probably nets close to 20% on these “loophole†deductions.
Take the sum total of Olympia Diner waitresses who underreport their tips, and the same argument could be made. Every dollar of tax money they keep is a dollar less the government has to dole out in benefits or subsidies. Heck, the government even saves on administration costs for benefits not doles out. Win-win.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:27 AM

2,747 posts, read 1,783,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Your flippancy is rather astounding. Bet it sounded pithy in your head.
No, just seemed like an appropriate response to your whining post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Take the sum total of Olympia Diner waitresses who underreport their tips, and the same argument could be made. Every dollar of tax money they keep is a dollar less the government has to dole out in benefits or subsidies. Heck, the government even saves on administration costs for benefits not doles out. Win-win.
Not sure how paying tax and not paying tax equate to being the same argument.

Sounds like your plan is everyone should be able to determine their own level of benefits they're entitled to before they have to start paying taxes. Brilliant idea, it's a wonder no one's proposed this before.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:41 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The biggest problem I have with tipping is it's based on the amount of the bill and not the work required to provide the service. Just to compare typical chain places (so we're not skewing it by very high end numbers), it takes no more effort to take my order and bring out the food & drinks at Red Lobster than at Cracker Barrel. Yet the bill for the same family of four at Red Lobster will be at least twice as much as at Cracker Barrel therefore the tip is typically twice as much. For the same level of effort. In fact I'd argue the server at Cracker Barrel is working harder because they turn tables faster.

I agree with you but let me offer an alternative viewpoint. If tips are double for the same work at Red Lobster then a RL job will be much more desired by servers than a CB job. In theory, RL will be able to hire servers that are cream of the crop while CB might have to settle for RL rejects. So the server talent and service should be superior at RL. I'm not saying the theory always plays out in practice.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
if wait staff begin making $15 an hour the tips will go down to 10% again, doesn't really matter.

They might go down to zero in the eyes of many.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
it really a "Buffet" if it isn't self-serve?

Wouldn't a table-service "buffet" really just be AYCE? (NTTAWWT).

A buffet with servers is called a cafeteria. You walk up to the line when you're ready and the food is ready with no waiting.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:29 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Sorry, mathism, the shorthand "!=" means "does not equate to"

For those waiters pulling in a grand a week or more in tips, I wonder how much of that cash appears in Box 1 on their W2 or tax return...
When I was pulling in a grand a week in tips, I didn't worry about reporting it because almost all of it was on credit cards, so reported for me.

Thank goodness, or I wouldn't be retired now.

And just so you all know, it was NOT "more than I was worth" LOL. You elitists!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics