Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 08:28 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
False misinformation. Stop making up things. What makes you qualified to make this statement on these wages? Show me proof. What is your source?
Go visit a shop and ask for labor rates. I always look when I go into the dealer or service station. They are charging $ 115 an hour. I have a master plumber coming in today. They're fully booked. Some of them are working emergencies and 24/7.

We've had some remodeling done recently. A low-end skill like painting and carpentry is commanding at least $ 60 an hour. The only reason it's that low is because the apprentice does most of the work and the proprietor goes from job to job, periodically supervising. I've talked to him about his business. It's almost impossible to find young people. The immigrants with really good skills and references often did not have the papers, so he had to turn them down.

Don't waste time on the BLS data on plumbers. They lumped in lower skilled and lower paid jobs, pipefitters and steamfitters, to bring the average wage down. There is also going to be a population skew in their sample since lower-skilled jobs tend to be in greater supply. Their data on just about everything can't be taken verbatim.

Last edited by lchoro; 02-15-2021 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 08:39 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
IMO; you don’t need master plumber for everything (yeah the tech does it, the master covers it).
I thought a Master Plumber designation was more for the business side of running a plumbing contracting business, not for skillset in the field.

I've had to redo the work one Master Plumber did in my kitchen remodel. He was very, very proud of his Master designation, but there was a problem with one piece of his work and he's refused to come back to fix it. Rather than fight, I just redid it myself - which is probably what he was hoping would happen.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:45 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Apparently not, I follow more than a few plumbers and HVAC people on youtube and NONE of them make much money at all, certainly nothing even approaching a sum like that.
My daughter's friend is a journeyman union plumber; she (yes, a "she") was part of the crew that plumbed the new Allegiant Stadium (Raiders Stadium) in Las Vegas. Her compensation is in the $200K range.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Go visit a shop and ask for labor rates. I always look when I go into the dealer or service station. They are charging $ 115 an hour. I have a master plumber coming in today. They're fully booked. Some of them are working emergencies and 24/7.

We've had some remodeling done recently. A low-end skill like painting and carpentry is commanding at least $ 60 an hour. The only reason it's that low is because the apprentice does most of the work and the proprietor goes from job to job, periodically supervising. I've talked to him about his business. It's almost impossible to find young people. The immigrants with really good skills and references often did not have the papers, so he had to turn them down.

Don't waste time on the BLS data on plumbers. They lumped in lower skilled and lower paid jobs, pipefitters and steamfitters, to bring the average wage down. There is also going to be a population skew in their sample since lower-skilled jobs tend to be in greater supply. Their data on just about everything can't be taken verbatim.

Not really. Pipefitting is very tough often dangerous work and fitters are paid accordingly. There are very few specific steamfitters to impact salaries either way. Around the country pipe fitters usually earn a bit more than plumbers.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:57 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The only plumbers making that much are ones that own a company. The average salary for a plumber is around $56k a year if I recall correctly. It takes years to get to this level, you are not just jumping into it the first year.
Most of my plumbers are making a base salary of at least $107k. With overtime, some are making $150k-$180k. They are employees and not owners.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
We heard this the entire time my son was in a technical high school training to be an electrician. Oh, he'll have a job right out of high school! He spent almost 2 years in this state trying to find a job as an apprentice. We finally gave up and had him try another state. He got a job there in less than 2 weeks. So while he didn't go the college route, we spent a lot of money getting him an apartment (surprise, no one wants to rent to a 19 year old who has had a job for 1 week) and furnishing it. I learned when there is a claimed "shortage" of electricians, it meant shortages of electricians who have xyz years of experience, are not apprentices but journeymen, and various other requirements that he could never meet because he couldn't get a job.

I consider myself fortunate because he didn't accumulate student debt from the trade school, which would have an additional burden to add to having to pay for an apartment. I'd say buyer beware with this.
Something was off about him like lacking a people personality for example. I regularly hire young kids and try to build them. We avoid socially awkward ones and weird looking people.

My coworker even wants the call center and store employees to be attractive and well spoken.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:32 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Most of my plumbers are making a base salary of at least $107k. With overtime, some are making $150k-$180k. They are employees and not owners.
To me this makes sense. Some plumbers making $150-$180K is whole lot different than the implication made by others that making say $180 is common.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
But what about females? Some don't want to be electricians and plumbers. Of course women can learn a trade but trades are notoriously unfriendly to hiring women. Of course this same can be said for some STEM fields. I know one female engineering grad who, after being harassed in that field, went back to grad school (she already had a grad degree in engineering) and became a medical doctor. I couldn't get an appt with her, she was massively popular.

It's not anecdotal, women in traditionally male fields get treated poorly by male colleagues whether it's STEM or plumbing.

It seems this thread is aimed at boys, not girls in high school. Don't some of you have daughters? Don't you want them to earn good salaries too?
I know a female roofer who runs circles around every man on her team. She takes her job seriously and enjoys the heck out of it. She is HIGHLY respected by all the guys on her team. I think as long as women can do just as good as or better than their male counterparts, they earn a lot of respect. It's the ones who are afraid of breaking a nail or messing up their hair that aren't treated as well.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:40 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
There is no “base salary” for trades. They are paid by the hour. Obviously not being Honest. Show me the math.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:41 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

The labor rates ARE NOT what the workers make. That’s what the shop charges. The workers make a fraction of that and a lot goes into benefits.

So you don’t look at the BLS numbers. (Which is a BS reason). Well their are other sources. Provide something other than misinformation or word of mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics