Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 10:01 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times

Advertisements

Work 3 days x 12 hours and you have nearly a full work week and full income. Long hours but you will get breaks for meals, coffee, exercise... A person could handle long days when the have 4 days off a week. I don't know how this would work with office jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 05:44 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Work 3 days x 12 hours and you have nearly a full work week and full income. Long hours but you will get breaks for meals, coffee, exercise... A person could handle long days when the have 4 days off a week. I don't know how this would work with office jobs.
I would not support this as it would leave insufficient time for morning routines and unwinding after work and might thus be unhealthy physically and/or mentally. But maybe a flex-week is a better idea, where you work 9 hours on 4 days of the week and get to "pick-a-day" where you only work 4 hours. This would also make it easier to run errands that involve businesses that are not open on weekends.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:35 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
This potentially would be done by government subsidy to employers.
Let's take this number 3 days specifically out of it
Do you know what a government subsidy is? It's called taxpayer funded! You what that is? An increase in taxes. No thanks!

Old 03-13-2021, 12:14 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
I've often thought of this idea. Obviously this does not work for every job, but a good chunk of jobs could be divided further and don't require a 40 hr slot. Or you could increase the amount of PTO employees get.

The main hindering factor IMO though is healthcare. Employers can subdivide paychecks and people would be willing to earn less to work less. But, if you have one overworked manager at $120,000 a year, you can't split her check and hire 2 more productive analysts at $60,000, because the analysts get the same healthcare and other benefits that the manager does. There's a high floor of fixed cost for any decent employer to hire an additional employee.

I support single payer healthcare, even if it probably is more inefficient, because it decouples healthcare from employment. It would really help support small businesses and self employed individuals, because under the current system, both get screwed. Larger companies have the infrastructure to have an HR department and shop plans. Small ones don't.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:21 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I believe many hospitals are doing such with their nursing staff. I believe such could also work in a production facility where the goal is make so many units. I believe many fire departments are doing such also.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:28 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
There were a couple of cultural if you don't work you don't eat factors in play. First the work week with a day off for you and a day for God got you five days. 8 hours of work, sleep and play got you to 40 hours a week. So benefit packages and living wages got built on that standard. So no matter what you did it was honorable and society thought you should be able to live at that base.With those unwilling to work pretty much cut off and left on their own.

However with technology explosion going on at exponential levels will we accept two people working in place of one,you do gain that extra day of productivity but loose the societal push to make folks work to eat when they already spend most of the time playing

Old 03-13-2021, 12:33 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I'm absolutely in favor of the 3 (or less) day work week and have done so all my life. I didn't plan it that way but my first boss set me in that direction because he wanted to take long weekends to go to the coast and go sailing. Found out I was quite happy with that life back home. We didn't have a beach but we have lakes and quarrys.

A few things that helped me achieve this were 1) extreme frugality in early adulthood. I didn't live alone until age 29. I was a subscriber to mother earth news and enjoyed chopping wood and doing my own repairs.

2) parents put me through college - not that $198/quarter tuition was a burden on them. And they helped me with a down payment when I graduated.

3) an inheritance of about 15K in todays dollars that helped me buy my first rental house. Owner financing - down payment of about 6K in current dollars.

2) is a thing of the past but there are trade schools that lead to jobs that can be done part time. It seems the structure of work is changing.

Obamacare makes part time work a lot easier option than it was for middle age folks in the past.

I'll agree rents and house prices have gone through the roof. But not everywhere. Also perhaps this is a bubble that will burst like the last one.

I'm not entirely opposed to Yang's GMI proposal. Maybe a tax on robots? I'm beginning to feel robots should pay into social security. Definitely in favor of the child credits and I don't have kids. Raising kids has been an unpaid contribution to society for far too long and it's time we recognized this.

Old 03-13-2021, 01:16 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I believe many hospitals are doing such with their nursing staff. I believe such could also work in a production facility where the goal is make so many units. I believe many fire departments are doing such also.
Because they are staffed 24/7/365, they do this, and rotate shifts, so no one is stuck working nights, weekends, holidays.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:59 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Do you know what a government subsidy is? It's called taxpayer funded! You what that is? An increase in taxes. No thanks!
Yes potentially by such subsidy which is paid for by taxes more people could be employed rather than as many on welfare or unemployment extensions

but you don't care that there are sometimes not enough jobs, you assume everybody who is unemployed is lazy and wouldn't care if they all starved to death

Old 03-13-2021, 03:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Yes potentially by such subsidy which is paid for by taxes more people could be employed rather than as many on welfare or unemployment extensions

but you don't care that there are sometimes not enough jobs, you assume everybody who is unemployed is lazy and wouldn't care if they all starved to death
Where did I say anything about enough jobs? Where did I assume everybody who is unemployed is lazy? Where did I say I wouldn't care if they all starved to death? You done making up nonsense? Do some research on government subsidies and how they really work, what benefits the communities ACTUALLY receive, etc. It's definitely not what you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics