Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:31 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times

Advertisements

Yeah taxing tourists up the yingyang is pretty standard everywhere. I just booked a hotel room at the New jersey shore for a nominal rate of $355/night but the effective rate after taxes is $403.37. So between the state, county, and municipality there's a 13.625% tax on the hotel room alone.

Imagine how many hotel rooms the state of Hawaii is taxing, and at what rate, 52 weeks a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 02:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post For January 2021, visitor arrivals dropped 80.1 percent compared to a year ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah taxing tourists up the yingyang is pretty standard everywhere. ...

Imagine how many hotel rooms the state of Hawaii is taxing, and at what rate, 52 weeks a year.
Was taxing. As of this past May, hotel room tax revenue dropped 92%.

Gotta be hurting now, with only the locals available for revenue extraction. The state is considering a 16% income tax rate for individuals earning more than $200,000 a year (up from 11% currently)

Old 03-22-2021, 11:02 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Doesn't seem like the Hawaiian govt is taking a bigger chunk from somewhere else....

And how did this practice (of low property tax) got started?
It's teeny tiny. Need to build a road? Maybe it'd take a few days vs. months for a large state. Hawaii might not even need the road, since people can ride a bike there. It's population is low, even for a city, much less a state. With the high property values it has, I can see that the money might be enough. It obviously is.

Also, in states where there is a low property tax, there may be higher than avg sales and other taxes. The counties and cities also have sales taxes.

It also has a state income income tax. From 7% to 9%, I read.

Texas has high property taxes, but it has a decent sales tax rate, and no state income tax.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:00 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Was taxing. As of this past May, hotel room tax revenue dropped 92%.

Gotta be hurting now, with only the locals available for revenue extraction. The state is considering a 16% income tax rate for individuals earning more than $200,000 a year (up from 11% currently)
Every state is doing the same thing. Here in PA we have an across the board 3.07% personal income tax ($1.00 to $Infinity pays the same rate) and they are proposing to increase that rate to over 4.50%.

And as everyone knows, the rates will never go down once the voters and taxpayers get used to paying the higher rate.

Given a choice between raising income tax and raising property tax, I'll take an increase in income tax. I've heard of far to many elderly widows (and to a lesser extent, widowers and couples) forced out of their homes because of steep, sudden property tax increases.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:14 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Tourism. Taxes on hotel rooms, meals, rental cars and similar.
As discussed earlier in the thread, there is also a high state income tax. Other things seem to be quite expensive, too, such as vehicle registration fees for residents (if you're a non-resident military member, you get a steep discount on registration fees).

But I do love the low property taxes in Hawaii, which amount to about $1,500 a year on my ~$500,000 condo in Honolulu.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:39 AM

Post Every state’s economic activity is different, as is every state’s tax code and attitude towards revenue extraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Every state is doing the same thing. Here in PA we have an across the board 3.07% personal income tax ($1.00 to $Infinity pays the same rate) and they are proposing to increase that rate to over 4.50%.

And as everyone knows, the rates will never go down once the voters and taxpayers get used to paying the higher rate.

Given a choice between raising income tax and raising property tax, I'll take an increase in income tax. I've heard of far to many elderly widows (and to a lesser extent, widowers and couples) forced out of their homes because of steep, sudden property tax increases.
Not every state is doing the same thing -- states vary widely in total (state+local) tax burden, with Hawaii, Connecticut and New York filling out the top slots in every US ranking. States with no income tax fill out the "least burdened" ranks. Exact rankings vary depending on whether they use median household income, the state's share of net national product, or some other measure of "burden"

Hawaii, until recently, was able to shift much of their tax burden onto out-of-state and international tourists.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:05 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I can't afford to live in EITHER Hawaii or California. But they have a high cost of living because both states are highly desirable to live in. Just gorgeous.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:18 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Hawaii has a low property tax rate, but homes are expensive, and they have other taxes as well, putting them at ...
Ignoring property taxes makes this chart useless.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:39 AM

Post Hawaii has the nation's second highest total state+local tax burden, outranked only by New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ignoring property taxes makes this chart useless.
If you'd tried the link in my post before criticizing it, the site has the full chart -- and bottom line is Hawaii has the nation's second highest total state+local tax burden, outranked only by New York.

It isn't just wallethub -- other sites weight things differently, but in every ranking I have seen, Hawaii is in the top 10% of states by tax burden, and most sites publish their methodology in case you want to check their math.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:19 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,300,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I can't afford to live in EITHER Hawaii or California. But they have a high cost of living because both states are highly desirable to live in. Just gorgeous.
I was inspired by your comment to build a table accounting for the real out-of-pocket cost of a state, including cost of living which turns out to a major factor in some cases.

In my table I account for 4 cost categories:

-- Income tax (on assumed $100K income)
-- Property tax (on assumed $1 mil home value)
-- Sales tax (on assumed $40K living expenses)
-- Cost of living adjustment (on same $40K living expenses)

For the percentages I grabbed what looks reasonable from the web. COL adj. is different from sales tax, which is ON TOP OF prices of goods; so there should be no double-counting by considering both.

I then compared 3 profiles and ranked the states + DC:

-- Regular resident, who pays all 4
-- Retired resident, who pays all but income tax (assuming low income so income tax is negligible)
-- Out of state homeowner, who pay only property tax

Based on this analysis, Hawaii is very expensive for both types of residents, regular or retired. But it seems very tax-friendly to out-of-state homeowners...

Not 100% accurate, but hopefully this gives a rough picture. Is my conclusion reasonable about Hawaii? What other factor should come into this comparison?

I'm focused on Hawaii because I an contemplating buying a home there.

How does Hawaii run on 0.3% property tax?-tax-comparison.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics