Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 AM

53 posts, read 38,371 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right place to post this if not please move it to where it should be.
I sent a certified piece of mail out 10 days ago with tracking and once again it hasnt arrive to its destination and its crazy that even with a tracking number which is proof of a scanned location never gets updated. I have no idea when this piece of mail will arrive to its destination or if it will ever arrive there. I thought this tracking is suppose to give you daily updates.

I just seen on the postal website how they are boasting about their 10 year plan to improve excellent service, i hope so because something needs to change because its broken with the pandemic.

I know its all pandemic related but is there a mailing service that has better chances of delivery within the postal service or somewhere else? Has anyone had success with a particular service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 10:58 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Certified Mail only confirms delivery, and you have to inquire for it. Suggest you phone or visit your local PO and ask for help.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Certified-Mail

Old 05-17-2021, 11:07 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,301,405 times
A few years ago, a credit card company sent me a new card via USPS and it was promptly stolen, never arrived at intended destination. Since then, I always insist that the credit card company send a new card via private courier and they always happily comply at no extra charge.

About six months ago, a bookseller sent a book via certified mail, the book never arrived, even though the tracking system on the USPS website showed that it arrived at destination, meaning the local post office, not my personal address. I followed instructions on how to inquire further addressed to a specific person, and I only received the same canned responses over and over and over again. I finally gave up and told the bookseller that the problem is between you and USPS, and the company issued me a refund.

Having said that, most of the time the mail arrives successfully.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Certified Mail only confirms delivery, and you

have to inquire for it. Suggest you phone or visit your local PO and ask for help.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-is-Certified-Mail

Thanks but i already did that. They really didnt know whats going on he just told me to put in an inquiry to have them search for it.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
A few years ago, a credit card company sent me a new card via USPS and it was promptly stolen, never arrived at intended destination. Since then, I always insist that the credit card company send a new card via private courier and they always happily comply at no extra charge.

About six months ago, a bookseller sent a book via certified mail, the book never arrived, even though the tracking system on the USPS website showed that it arrived at destination, meaning the local post office, not my personal address. I followed instructions on how to inquire further addressed to a specific person, and I only received the same canned responses over and over and over again. I finally gave up and told the bookseller that the problem is between you and USPS, and the company issued me a refund.

Having said that, most of the time the mail arrives successfully.

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying because its certified mail that its something they dont want to bother with?

I sympathize with you. I know how you felt.
Its frustrating. Post Office is suppose to be reliable and people count on them for delivering important things and i feel they dont take things as seriously as they should.

I just might do the courier service. How does that work may i ask?

Old 05-17-2021, 02:05 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terylee View Post
Thanks for the reply. So are you saying because its certified mail that its something they dont want to bother with?

I sympathize with you. I know how you felt.
Its frustrating. Post Office is suppose to be reliable and people count on them for delivering important things and i feel they dont take things as seriously as they should.

I just might do the courier service. How does that work may i ask?
No but as a piece the letter carrier has to prepare by hand into route order it becomes part of the first things deferred when a unit runs out of man hours.

In order of priority express goes first followed by Amazon products. Then priority mail and other parcels with barcodes. Followed by letters prepared by the automation and last is the bundle with the certified letters and other pieces rejected by the machines. The scans are only made when a piece moves. It makes no sense to defer something for lack of time but then spend the time on a snipe hunt for barcodes to scan and report no movement

Old 05-19-2021, 05:59 AM

Thank you Taiko. Thats pretty informative and crazy how Amazon takes priority over other mail. I wished now i would of sent it priority. Guess i will do that from now on.

So what happens when every piece of mail gets sent priority? Lol!

Old 05-19-2021, 06:38 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
The same thing that happens when everyone has a college education or when everyone is issued so many cheap credits and other forms of money or when everyone pays lip service to an ideology.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:42 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Nobody on the receiving end may have picked up the mail. They get a card telling them to come to the post office. You were in the window for the first delivery attempt.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:04 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Thank you Taiko. Thats pretty informative and crazy how Amazon takes priority over other mail. I wished now i would of sent it priority. Guess i will do that from now on.

About a decade ago the service shifted from delaying bulk business (junk or 3rd class) mail in order to control cost to "every piece every day". As most came automated from the plant instead of being put in route order for half of a carrier's workday. However as more and more stuff cam it is becoming increasingly impossible to maintain the old standards. After all two cases of canned dog food or bottled water takes a lot longer than two letters.

Amazon takes priority because the service thinks the revenue from parcels is what will save the service, they have replaced the newspaper like market ads which got all the attention of what must go. So with the contract Amazon and Amazon only gets delivered on Sunday's and they tell us that if Amazon is not delivered on time Amazon gets a refund like express mail customers can if we miss the noon deadline. So I have personally made many $60 runs to deliver a single Amazon parcel before it was late so that the $2 in revenue would not be refunded.

About a year ago when vast numbers of postal workers stayed at home using the FFCRA as cover everything back up and until now on any given day in a district even parcels can sit.

The advertising industry has caught on to the fact that barcoded items go first so now many larger catalogs bulk business (junk) mail also come with a bar code. So at first glance the next higher level of management see's X amount of items missed and the stuff rolls downhill forcing that "3rd class" before the composite bundle of loose flats and letters which includes 1st class mail. It would take a bit more work to see that many of those missed items where a furniture catalog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics