Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 10:05 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,943 times

Advertisements

I don't care if its below avr pay. I just want to work to live. I am 20 years old working part time in retail and going to schoolbut have come to realize school is not for me. I want to do something that doesn't chain me to a desk, i don't cae if its low paying, as long as there are jobs available in such job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
I would suggest the service industry-serving, bartending-but that can be pretty stressful for some people so it's hard to say. I'd rather be on my feet than at a desk too. It might be a good idea to obtain a license or cert if school is not for you-EMT, real estate, CDL, lifeguard, etc but stress if such a relative thing that I don't know which would be stressful for you or not.

What do you spend most of your time doing? What do you do online? Try to find a way to make money by pursuing that-this is what led me to my career in real estate.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:35 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
working for a good hotel helping guests as they come in and getting good tips. You meet people and are not at a desk all day

Old 09-22-2014, 11:11 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Really?? No goals, no ambition, don't want to make something of yourself? Bud, you're 20. You've got an awfully long time to contemplate your navel. And when you're 60 you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't do something with your life.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:44 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,943 times
I have goals and ambitions. I just don't want to be stressed out like most people and I want to enjoy myself outside work. Most people just work and go home. They are too stress out to do anything else. I want to work to live. I don't care of a high paying job. I am not materialistic anyways, I can live a simple life.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Really?? No goals, no ambition, don't want to make something of yourself? Bud, you're 20. You've got an awfully long time to contemplate your navel. And when you're 60 you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't do something with your life.
Why do people always think that job statue is what makes a person? The OP wants a menial job so he has no ambition and won't make anything of his life? So what if the OP doesn't want to join the rat race that everyone is so inclined to join. Some people think I'm crazy. I work an entry level job that I have little motivation to move out of. The pay affords me to live on my own, buy what I need, and live the life I choose. The reason I stay in my position is because it's a relatively easy job with little to no stress. I save more money on average than most that make over 100k do.

Some people say I have no ambition because I don't want a promotion I can easily get. People say the same thing about my 25 year old car (which is the same age as me) that I won't replace even though I can afford it. Some people enjoy living life rather than spending their life challenging themselves in the working world. Personally I'd rather just take walks, ride my bike, and enjoy life than deal with all the stress that comes with school, student loan debt, and high paying-high stressful jobs.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I have goals and ambitions. I just don't want to be stressed out like most people and I want to enjoy myself outside work. Most people just work and go home. They are too stress out to do anything else. I want to work to live. I don't care of a high paying job. I am not materialistic anyways, I can live a simple life.
Perhaps some of the people you know are in this situation but it's definitely not everyone with a good paying job that requires a degree. I look forward to going to work every day and facing the latest challenges, but when I leave here work is no longer on my mind unless I happen to get a rare call after hours due to some problem. A good job with a degree also does not mean being chained to a desk, in fact while I have an office and desk I get out a few times a week in a company car to go out to various company locations. Any job, even minimum wage, degree or not will cause some stress if you let it. Some people just don't have the self discipline to complete college, others are just not cut out for that level of learning. If I had to think of something with higher than minimum wage and low stress, I might come up with warehouse worker, but then I have read some horror stories from Amazon employees doing that. School custodian also comes up, and that pays well with great benefits.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
mickey dees

I'm lovin it.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
This sounds like a good example for the Mike Rowe letter. Personally I don't agree with it (you can't exactly try every field) but it may work for you...

Quote:
Hey Mike!
I’ve spent this last year trying to figure out the right career for myself and I still can’t figure out what to do. I have always been a hands on kind of guy and a go-getter. I could never be an office worker. I need change, excitement, and adventure in my life, but where the pay is steady. I grew up in construction and my first job was a restoration project. I love everything outdoors. I play music for extra money. I like trying pretty much everything, but get bored very easily. I want a career that will always keep me happy, but can allow me to have a family and get some time to travel. I figure if anyone knows jobs its you so I was wondering your thoughts on this if you ever get the time! Thank you!
- Parker

Hi Parker
My first thought is that you should learn to weld and move to North Dakota. The opportunities are enormous, and as a “hands-on go-getter,” you’re qualified for the work. But after reading your post a second time, it occurs to me that your qualifications are not the reason you can’t find the career you want.
I had drinks last night with a woman I know. Let’s call her Claire. Claire just turned 42. She’s cute, smart, and successful. She’s frustrated though, because she can’t find a man. I listened all evening about how difficult her search has been. About how all the “good ones” were taken. About how her other friends had found their soul-mates, and how it wasn’t fair that she had not.
“Look at me,” she said. “I take care of myself. I’ve put myself out there. Why is this so hard?”
“How about that guy at the end of the bar,” I said. “He keeps looking at you.”
“Not my type.”
“Really? How do you know?”
“I just know.”
“Have you tried a dating site?” I asked.”
“Are you kidding? I would never date someone I met online!”
“Alright. How about a change of scene? Your company has offices all over – maybe try living in another city?”
“What? Leave San Francisco? Never!”
“How about the other side of town? You know, mix it up a little. Visit different places. New museums, new bars, new theaters…?”
She looked at me like I had two heads. “Why the hell would I do that?”
Here’s the thing, Parker. Claire doesn’t really want a man. She wants the “right” man. She wants a soul-mate. Specifically, a soul-mate from her zip code. She assembled this guy in her mind years ago, and now, dammit, she’s tired of waiting!!
I didn’t tell her this, because Claire has the capacity for sudden violence. But it’s true. She complains about being alone, even though her rules have more or less guaranteed she’ll stay that way. She has built a wall between herself and her goal. A wall made of conditions and expectations. Is it possible that you’ve built a similar wall?
Consider your own words. You don’t want a career – you want the “right” career. You need “excitement” and “adventure,” but not at the expense of stability. You want lots of “change” and the “freedom to travel,” but you need the certainty of “steady pay.” You talk about being “easily bored” as though boredom is out of your control. It isn’t. Boredom is a choice. Like tardiness. Or interrupting. It’s one thing to “love the outdoors,” but you take it a step further. You vow to “never” take an office job. You talk about the needs of your family, even though that family doesn’t exist. And finally, you say the career you describe must “always” make you “happy.”
These are my thoughts. You may choose to ignore them and I wouldn’t blame you – especially after being compared to a 42 year old woman who can’t find love. But since you asked…
Stop looking for the “right” career, and start looking for a job. Any job. Forget about what you like. Focus on what’s available. Get yourself hired. Show up early. Stay late. Volunteer for the scut work. Become indispensable. You can always quit later, and be no worse off than you are today. But don’t waste another year looking for a career that doesn’t exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that’s consistent with those beliefs.
Many people today resent the suggestion that they’re in charge of the way the feel. But trust me, Parker. Those people are mistaken. That was a big lesson from Dirty Jobs, and I learned it several hundred times before it stuck. What you do, who you’re with, and how you feel about the world around you, is completely up to you.
Good luck -
Mike

Old 09-22-2014, 12:39 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times
Quote:
The OP never said anything to even hint that s/he has no goals or ambition. You're responding to something that wasn't even said or implied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics