Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:58 PM

679 posts, read 812,810 times

Advertisements

I think it will be there, but how much will it buy with inflation? I'm not counting on it to pay for much by the time I get ready to draw SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2021, 03:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,708,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
I think it will be there, but how much will it buy with inflation? I'm not counting on it to pay for much by the time I get ready to draw SS.
It’s inflation adjusted.

Old 07-28-2021, 04:12 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'm so far expected about 26k a year if I keep this same salary till retirement. Wife will make way less than that since she only make 40k and had limited work history since she's stayed home with the kids. It's not nothing, but I have way less control on what ss will pay out versus what I have in my investment account.
I just ran the number through the ss calculator and it’s roughly 6500 a month combined. While my investment accounts are more within my control nearly 80k not all of which is taxed would certainly be a nice addition

Old 07-28-2021, 04:42 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I don’t plan for it either but it’s not pittance. My wife and I both stand to get 3-4K a month each at fra so it’s a pretty healthy sum of money if it’s there when we get there
You are a little high - According to the Social Security Administration (SSA) table, the maximum Social Security benefit that an individual who files a claim for Social Security retirement benefits this year can receive per month is $3,113 for someone who files at FRA and $3,895 for someone who files at age 70 in 2021. Few will get that maximum, most will be well below $3K for FRA amount.

Still can be pretty good amount - if we both waited till 70 we would get about $80K combined - probably will file next year and get about 70% of that amount, We both stopped working at 60 so could have been higher.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:13 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are a little high - According to the Social Security Administration (SSA) table, the maximum Social Security benefit that an individual who files a claim for Social Security retirement benefits this year can receive per month is $3,113 for someone who files at FRA and $3,895 for someone who files at age 70 in 2021. Few will get that maximum, most will be well below $3K for FRA amount.

Still can be pretty good amount - if we both waited till 70 we would get about $80K combined - probably will file next year and get about 70% of that amount, We both stopped working at 60 so could have been higher.
I expect to get about 31k at my FRA. I retire in March so the estimate should be pretty accurate at this time.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:30 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:

I’m not a little high and I’m also not drawing SS this year. My wife and I at fra would be getting 6500 a month which if my math is correct would be between 3000 and 4000 a month each. Let me know if you still believe I’m off but as far as I see it I was within my stated range

Old 07-29-2021, 09:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:

Those numbers are wrong. My delay-to-70 number is $3,954 / month. I've maintained a spreadsheet based on SSA Pub 05-10070 and the number I get in my spreadsheet is consistent with what the SSA web portal tells me.

My FRA is age 66 8 months. That number might be accurate for someone born in 1960 or later with FRA of 67. Someone born before 1955 with a FRA of 66 will have a higher theoretical max than mine. I have 29 years of maxed Social Security contributions and another 6 years that were close. Those last few earnings dollars are in the 15% inflection point so the needle doesn't move much. The theoretical max for my birth year might be $50 more than my benefit. I'm 63 so my benefit numbers are totally locked in and just track COLA adjustments. Assuming the COLA is 5+% for 2022, my delay to 70 benefit should be just shy of $50k / year. No state tax. Preferred Federal tax treatment.

Our combined benefit delaying to 70 is a bit more than that $80k. I'm planning to delay to 70 to lock in the higher survivor benefit. Hers is a bit lower so she'll probably start collecting at somewhere around FRA.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:21 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
My wife's grandmother is turning 100 in a few weeks. She never made according to her, but I bet she's collected a ton of money from SS at this point.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:45 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,966,310 times
Here's an idea for you young folks. Start a side business even if it's part time. I suggest getting a Life/Health insurance license and concentrate on products that pays renewals.

If licensing is an issue consider marketing legal plan membership. One can start that business practically immediately with a small fee and build residuals which
can be passed on.

S.S. is going to happen whatever the amount or age
but the major consideration is social quality of life. Do you want to wait until age 65, 70, plus to have life freedom be it social or financial.

Now as we know Biden is trying to get medicare reduced to age 60. What if it happens? Will you financially be able to walk away?

Old 07-29-2021, 03:26 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm 41 and people are telling me that SS will disappear by the time I'll retire

but what will replace it ? i'm sure we will get something for paying into the system all these yrs ? right ?
So you believe everything people tell you? What has your research shown you on the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics