Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 01:45 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

I think those whose policy choices accelerated inflation will learn that votes can move just like prices, to the other party or one we know not of today. That vote move may be transitory but permanent too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 11:16 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
I just did a big cleaning-supply-specific run to Wal-Mart yesterday. I tend to buy that kind of stuff more in large quantities these days so it had been a good 3-4 months since I last bought them. It was fascinating what has not inflated. Paper goods, cleaner spray, trash bags, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc... I was actually surprised to find that they haven't changed much, if at all. E.g.: the Tide laundry pods I used have been about $20 for 90 units since 2018-19ish. Dish pods same thing.

I was expecting to see inflation in these things.

Old 09-09-2021, 02:31 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I just did a big cleaning-supply-specific run to Wal-Mart yesterday. I tend to buy that kind of stuff more in large quantities these days so it had been a good 3-4 months since I last bought them. It was fascinating what has not inflated. Paper goods, cleaner spray, trash bags, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc... I was actually surprised to find that they haven't changed much, if at all. E.g.: the Tide laundry pods I used have been about $20 for 90 units since 2018-19ish. Dish pods same thing.

I was expecting to see inflation in these things.
That list of household cleaning products is pretty basic stuff, mass-produced in highly automated factories, most likely located in the USA or perhaps Mexico. Labor shortages and rising wages have not hit highly automated factories as much, because the production process is not labor intensive.

The things that have inflated in the past year seem to be more complex manufactured goods, especially those with computer chip components and those requiring a lot of human labor. Also things manufactured offshore that go through a long shipping supply chain have inflated, because ocean container shipping costs are way, way up.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:09 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Fed Res has no choice but to allow inflation?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoDlwnskGs

I found this vid to be fairly informative, and am hoping some of you will weigh in.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,459,291 times
Not only is this inflation not "transitory", but we're probably only now catching up to Obama's inflation. We haven't even touched Trump's inflation, and by the time we get to Biden's inflation, the USD will be confetti!

Old 09-14-2021, 08:29 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Brisket Bagel from Einstein Bagels $9.11.
Delivery Fee: $6.99
Random fees & tax: $4.23
Total: $20.33

Tip: Yeah right. lol

I didn't get it. But over the past year or so, food delivery has gotten outta control. It is now a convenience luxury for the wealthy.

I remember when ordering Chinese and pizza delivery was FREE! And we gave tips in cash.

Now I can't order Lo Mein without paying for someone's college tuition.
Saw a guy post on Twitter a receipt of a kale salad from Eataly in NYC costs $24 with taxes and fees it came out to $35... for a kale salad.

Old 09-16-2021, 07:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Eh...seems specific to very limited things like meat and gas...cars, maybe appliances. I don't eat much meat at all, driving very little these days, hang on to my cars for at least 10 years, and hope my appliances last another few years. Point being, for most things you can make the decision to consume a bit less or buy only when on sale - that will more than save the 5%-10% rate of inflation, especially for food. It would be much different if there was inflaction across many different areas.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:41 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I'm still waiting for inflation to transition out of here. The cheapest ground beef is $5.99 a pound on sale. A gallon of milk is $4.65.

Whilst my portfolio has experienced good gains, I am withdrawing more and more each month to pay the bills and continue eating. Increasing withdrawals are not good but necessary these days.
I started buying my ground beef from my cousins over a year ago (they raise beef and sell it locally). I pay 5.99 a pound - and it is far better than what I can get in a store. I only splurge on the steaks once in a while though. Filet @ $22/lb is still pricey, but man it is soo so good.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:40 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,362,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Fed Res has no choice but to allow inflation?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWoDlwnskGs

I found this vid to be fairly informative, and am hoping some of you will weigh in.
The FED helped put the US and the world economy into a never-ending death/debt spiral.

Which is likely one of major reasons the elites want a "Great Reset" (World Economic Forum).

They know this system is simply not sustainable whatsoever.

Old 09-19-2021, 07:59 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Not only is this inflation not "transitory", but we're probably only now catching up to Obama's inflation. We haven't even touched Trump's inflation, and by the time we get to Biden's inflation, the USD will be confetti!
Weren't you the guy declaring that USA was finished due to pandemic and would never return to consumption/production levels of 2019?

I think you should explain how you had that so wrong before gifting us anymore wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics