Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 01:49 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times

Advertisements

In the future transportation costs will be higher the greater the distance by volume by weight. Think what are goods that are heavy, large, with large amounts of natural resources in the US that will be in demand and closer to the consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 01:51 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Guns, ammo and alcohol.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:20 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Guns, ammo and alcohol.
Absolutely. Never-ending market for them.

I know next to nothing about guns, but isn't that market sewed up by the few big, historic manufacturers?

Whereas with booze, they are plenty of "niche" markets...

Old 10-09-2021, 03:48 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I know next to nothing about guns, but isn't that market sewed up by the few big, historic manufacturers?

There are many American niche makers of guns. A variety of examples:
https://danieldefense.com/history
LCS AIR ARMS
https://www.muzzleloaders.com/muzzleloader/
I can't see a non-enthusiast breaking into this market.

There is a great shortage of ammunition that's been going on for some time.
Perhaps focusing on a single popular caliber such as .22 rimfire or 9mm could be profitable for a while.

One idea I had was to walk around in a big-box building supply store. Look at power tools, lawn mowers, grills, etc and where they're made. See what you think you could make. Then go to their web sites and/or major online shopping sites and see which product category only gets mediocre reviews and for which no product in that category that gets excellent reviews.

Old 10-09-2021, 03:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Guns, ammo and alcohol.
LOL - Has to be zoned heavy industrial for ammo. I already checked.

Guns require too many licenses and are too volitile a product, I want to make money, not a statement, or get regulated out of business with a pen stroke. I don't know anything about making booze, but I enjoy a fine wine.

I also don't want to rent the property. I might get $1,500 a month. The taco shop down the street makes that much every day. I want to build tangible, Made in America products that people will value enough to pay a price high enough so those producing it can make enough to raise their families, not just scratch out an existance as virtual slave labor.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:25 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
Consider 304L joist-holders that set in wet-pour concrete footings.

The idea is that one wall-stud and one floor-joist sit side-by-side and bolt to the 304L joist-holder. But a second wall-stud sits on top of the floor-joist with everything bolted together. Then a ceiling-joist sits on top of one wall-stud and bolts to the side of the other wall-stud. Finally, a bolted blocking is needed near the tops of the wall-studs because there is no header. The bolted blocking could be a galvanized bracket or could be lumber with two small galvanized brackets at each end but with bolting required to take the loads.

A variation that doesn't change the design of the joist-holder is two wall-studs sitting side-by-side with one wall-stud cut to the floor-joist elevation so that the floor-joist sits on one wall-stud. The a wall-stud piece is fitted between floor-joist and ceiling-joist and bolted to the side of the full height wall-stud.

A simple design for the joist-holder is just, for instance, a channel cross-section with legs pointed North with a second channel cross-section bolted to it that has legs pointing East. But the second channel cross-section is cut shorter in elevation to make a seat for the floor-joist. Now the material must be 304L to set directly in a wet-pour concrete footing. And nuts, bolts, and washers that touch 304L must be 18-8. Of course there can be welding instead of bolting and there can be pre-drilled holes for bolting lumber. Finally, the bottom of the joist-holder needs a 304L plate and the lumber seat of the joist-holder needs a 304L plate. A material thickness of 0.120 is plenty and even 0.100 might be enough. And actually, that first channel might just be a large L-angle instead.

If the manufacturer wants to quit-claim license from me that's KBH Applications.

But the established product is a 316L wet-pour 4 x 4 post holder with bolting holes for the lumber. However, I have suggested putting two rough-sawn 2-by's side-by-side in that design. That's a U-shaped bent product with a lumber seat welded in between the sides.
That is a really good idea.

Old 10-09-2021, 04:32 PM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Per guns not really. Several smaller makers just in Texas do very well Shilen Rifles, LaRue, Magpul (founded in CO but moved to Austin as the CO lurched left on guns), Stillers and a whole bunch of others.

I used to own a beer, wine and booze distributorship............enjoy the goods but stay out of that business!

Old 10-09-2021, 05:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
Nothing, Americans voted with their wallets and cheapest of the cheap won out.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:52 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That is a really good idea.

It's a building system. But the one-sided design also allows for just one wall-stud sitting on top of a floor-joist. That's still a foundation system. To build a house foundation just stick a piece of 304L in a wet-pour concrete footing. Use an 18-8 fender-washer against the lumber side of the bolted connection.

Other projects, the C5 Corvette rectangular-tube frame and chassis should be in public domain. Build the frame, add a roll-cage, and make a track-car chassis without swinging doors. Of course C3 Corvette aftermarket frames, without OEM "birdcage" subframe, are already available. (Oh, the competition is Howe stock-car chassis built into Trans-Am cars but there's no front-mid-engine layout and no independent rear suspension.)

Or there are boat builders that build steel boats from plans and CNC cutting files. The CNC cutting is just a $15000 machine on wheels that cuts on a shop floor. I would build boats out of 304L even though salt-water boats would still need painting. In fact 409 hull siding could weld to 304L spars. Or there are a couple of boats in the world built with 70/30 monel.

I could build either the C5 chassis or the 304L sailboats but my corporation would need funding to do it.

4000 square feet of shop space ? If the local power company would buy electricity, a reformer could be connected to a natural-gas line and a hydrogen fuel-cell connected to the powergrid. Sell electricity to the powergrid but also sell hydrogen to fuel-cell vehicles.

Ammunition ? I also have a cartridge system. A 40-grain aluminum bullet goes in .44 or .45 handgun cartridge case. But the cartridge case has a center-drilled aluminum bushing crimped in it to reduce the combustion area of the case. Then the powder charge is about the same as a .25 acp. The result is a blunt-force cartridge that hopefully makes wounds no deeper than 3". I have web pages on it and could make patent claims.

Last edited by T Block; 10-09-2021 at 06:24 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 06:13 PM

705 posts, read 506,670 times
As has been mentioned, ammunition is something that is a huge market and there are now millions more new gun owners just in the last year. You can not lose by making ammo. Especially cheap military calibers. And with the Democrat President banning the huge Russian ammunition imports, the market got even bigger on top of the huge demand. Americans in this country love guns and shooting and are willing to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics