Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 08:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times

Advertisements

How are pensions coping with zero interest rate,they usually expect 11-13% return each year.
I know they are switching to stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 11:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
I have two defined benefit pensions, one from a public agency the other from a private company. My husband also gets a defined benefit pension and we both get Social Security. It would take a lot of inflation for us to be impacted in any significant way.

Old 11-17-2021, 01:09 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
How are pensions coping with zero interest rate,they usually expect 11-13% return each year.
I know they are switching to stocks.
most pensions have always held lots of stocks , hedge funds and private equity .

pensions and annuity's also work very differently when it comes to fixed income .

imagine 30 of us buy a 30 year bond paying 2% .

typically all we get is 2% a year and 60% over 30 years .

but if the deal was if we die the money goes back in to the pot and one of us dies a year , you can see last man standing has a whopper of a return.

here is a breakdown of the new york state pension system allocation . 74% is non fixed income

nys pension

Asset Class Allocation
US Equity 32%
International Equity 15%
Fixed Income 23%
Private Equity 10%
Real Estate 9%
Credit 4%
ARS/Opportunistic 3%
Real Assets 3%
Cash 1%

Old 11-17-2021, 06:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
It doesn't have to be an either or situation. Some companies offer a pension and a defined contribution plan. Pension, SS, 401k, IRA, personal portfolio, investments, etc. One can use multiple streams of income built over decades to fund retirement.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:45 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
colas have little in common with ones own personal cost of living
They do if you spend less than you make. You choose your cost of living.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
when the company goes under,the Fed takes over the pension assets but you will receive less,much less?
can always buy an annuity if you dont have pension
Pensions are insured to $50K per year. $50K plus SS is more than adequate for a comfortable retirement if you are debt free and own your own home.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
They do if you spend less than you make. You choose your cost of living.
not the same thing regardless

colas are based on price changes on goods and services in 1250 different mini economies that make up this country .

it does not consider what you personally use or buy nor how many times you personally buy or use it .

it does not reflect the quality of goods and durability either . higher end goods tend to see bigger price increases but last longer .

it does not reflect out of type substitutions . like if i cant get my no added sugar klondikes on sale i will buy pudding or something else .

it has been demonstrated in multiple studies that seniors with discretionary income tend to spend in a smile shape .

they spend more in the early go go years , then spending falls off a cliff during the slow go years ,then-ramps up again from health care in the no go years .

a lot of price increases are absorbed by what is no longer bought or done …

many seniors dont even need the yearly inflation adjusting the calculators build in.

that is unlike someone raising a familywith spending increasing

so cpi cola adjustments have little do do with personal cost of living regardless

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-17-2021 at 10:05 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 09:56 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Pensions are insured to $50K per year. $50K plus SS is more than adequate for a comfortable retirement.
It's not enough if you were expecting 100K a year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-17-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Pensions are insured to $50K per year. $50K plus SS is more than adequate for a comfortable retirement if you are debt free and own your own home.
why would you ever say what anyone else needs or considers adequate with no regard for location nor the lifestyle they consider to be as low as they want to go .

would you tell everyone what they should be earning while working too.

most people develop lifestyles and locations based on what they have to work with …

those that earned higher incomes have lines in the sand higher then those with lower incomes .

there is none of us that cant move somewhere cheaper or down grade our lifestyles to lower levels . but we dont because we have lines in the sand we developed below which we rather not change to.

even a paid off home may mean nothing .. my sons real-estate taxes , hoa and insurance are way way more then my rent not even considering if it is paid off .

sorry , but no one should speak for anyone else but themselves

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-17-2021 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not the same thing regardless

colas are based on price changes on goods and services in 1250 different mini economies that make up this country .

it does not consider what you personally use or buy nor how many times you personally buy or use it .

it does not reflect the quality of goods and durability either . higher end goods tend to see bigger price increases but last longer .

it does not reflect out of type substitutions . like if i cant get my no added sugar klondikes on sale i will buy pudding or something else .

it has been demonstrated in multiple studies that seniors with discretionary income tend to spend in a smile shape .

they spend more in the early go go years , then spending falls off a cliff during the slow go years ,then-ramps up again from health care in the no go years .

a lot of price increases are absorbed by what is no longer bought or done …

many seniors dont even need the yearly inflation adjusting the calculators build in.

that is unlike someone raising a familywith spending increasing

so cpi cola adjustments have little do do with personal cost of living regardless
But isn't it better to get more money with a cola than not? With a cola if prices go up you are not that affected. With that extra money you can afford the things you like without facing an ever decreasing income stream. With good health and prescription insurance plus medicare you don't spend more on health care as you age. 5-1/2 years ago I got a hospital bill for $375K and paid $1700 out of pocket. I've been retired for 16 years and our spending habits and life style haven't changed at all. Our go go years were before we retired. Getting a pension was a choice. Having good health insurance is a choice. Spending less than you make is a choice. We have and buy everything that we want and still save 10% of our gross income. Statistics don't govern how anyone will choose to live.

Last edited by bobspez; 11-17-2021 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics