Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 11:37 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

If this should be in "automotive", feel free to move it. I wasn't sure.

Lately I've been watching this guy on You-Tube who drives about neighborhoods, commenting on them and showing stats. His poor neighborhood videos are by far the most popular.

What I notice is, in these very worst of neighborhoods, "all" the cars are late-model, nice cars. Not what I would label a "beater" like many of us had growing up until we had more money.

In my less-monied years, I had a VW bug, a $3,000 Saturn, an old Datsun pickup and so forth. Not these guys. I see many full-size new pickups with full backseats, no dented vehicles, no obviously older cars.

What gives? How can these people with no jobs, living in the most run-down of areas, afford these new/newer cars? Is it all drug deals---all of them? Can a person with no job even get a car loan?

Check any point in this video to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vnzZSw9f8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 11:42 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times
I see a lot of sub-$10k vehicles. Many probably have high interest rate buy-here-pay-here "loans".

Cash for Clunkers did away with a lot of 'beaters' (unfortunately).

That said- there are a lot of people who will sacrifice living conditions for a nice car. Enter the $1k/month leased Escalade parked in front of a $900/month apartment in Miami.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 4,280 times
I used to live in a very run down area so that I could afford a nice car, more clothes, more spending money. You can't assume we are all unemployed drug dealers. Where I live is not near as important to ME as it may be to YOU. A good dependable late model car is a very good thing in MY life. In these times of unaffordable first homes why throw away rent money on fancy digs that will never be yours?

Old 12-14-2021, 11:59 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
When one lives in a poor area, even a ghetto, driving a nice, newer car helps the people feel better about their situation, and to them it's worth the hassle of struggling to make the payments. Car dealers have always been able to give loans to people who can't really afford it, they just go with a high enough interest rate to cover the cost of repossessing it later.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
and many of those "nice" cars are branded.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and many of those "nice" cars are branded.
Those are the worst eye soars, branded cars with the huge ghetto rims, or ghetto taillights. I never understood why and how one could take a nice Chevy Tahoe for example and make it look like complete crap. Must be a status symbol to brand one’s car with ghetto fake chrome and hood vents within that community of people.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:10 PM

5,325 posts, read 3,209,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

What I notice is, in these very worst of neighborhoods, "all" the cars are late-model, nice cars. Not what I would label a "beater" like many of us had growing up until we had more money.
Is there a particular time in the video that illustrates this point? I clicked through (about 10 different points total) and didn't see anything out of place. Maybe a Kia, Corolla, 20 year old minivan...stuff I would expect to see. One timeframe I clicked on had a decent Buick SUV going through an intersection but none of the areas I happened to click on would have said that the car belonged to someone living there.

I'm not doubting what you're saying, I'm just saying that from the few pieces I saw it didn't seem like there was the overwhelming number of Escalades or BMWs sitting outside a housing project.

As someone else stated earlier we all prioritize things differently. I live in a upscale neighborhood and drive around a 9 year old car...I like to get my money's worth. I don't prioritize my car as much as I do my house and neighborhood. Different strokes for different folks!

Old 12-14-2021, 02:04 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,738,634 times
Aren't a high percentage of those vehicles from 'No Credit Motors' and on vehicles with 80,000+ miles already on them?

Old 12-14-2021, 02:15 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,103,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If this should be in "automotive", feel free to move it. I wasn't sure.

Lately I've been watching this guy on You-Tube who drives about neighborhoods, commenting on them and showing stats. His poor neighborhood videos are by far the most popular.

In my less-monied years, I had a VW bug, a $3,000 Saturn, an old Datsun pickup and so forth. Not these guys. I see many full-size new pickups with full backseats, no dented vehicles, no obviously older cars.

What gives? How can these people with no jobs, living in the most run-down of areas, afford these new/newer cars? Is it all drug deals---all of them? Can a person with no job even get a car loan?

Check any point in this video to see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12vnzZSw9f8
Just because you see a nice late model vehicle "in da hood" does not mean the driver or passengers are from that area.

Did you ever think that maybe they were just passing through, going from point A to point B, and the direct path happens to pass through this neighborhood?

Maybe they were giving a co-worker (who lives in the neighborhood) a ride home or taking them to work.

And yes, a certain number of people who live "in da hood" buy nice cars because *gasp* they want a nice vehicle and they afford it.

Just because someone has a nice vehicle in a rundown area does not make mean they are engaged in criminal behavior, there are other possibilities like the few I listed.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:17 PM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
Starbucks, home of the expensive lattes, are opening more stores in urban and poor neighborhoods.

KEY POINTS
Starbucks has a point to prove: There’s more to the company than selling $4 lattes to rich people.
The Seattle-based coffee giant said Thursday it is expanding its effort to put more coffee shops — and create more jobs — in poor neighborhoods.
The effort will bring to 100 the number of “community stores” Starbucks has opened since it announced the program in 2015.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/16/star...hborhoods.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics