Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 03:33 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I see a lot of sub-$10k vehicles. Many probably have high interest rate buy-here-pay-here "loans".

Cash for Clunkers did away with a lot of 'beaters' (unfortunately).

That said- there are a lot of people who will sacrifice living conditions for a nice car. Enter the $1k/month leased Escalade parked in front of a $900/month apartment in Miami.
Wish I could rep you again. I see OP's point and definitely have observed the same, but from what I saw in this video, there were plenty of cheaper cars shown, too.

Of course, many folks who live in rougher areas will have roommates or live in multi-generational homes and, so, have more money to spend on things like cars, etc. Is that the wisest decision to make for their money? I'd argue not, but that's me.

Then you have people who live in the hood who aren't poor. My family was one such case, though our neighborhood in Brooklyn is no longer considered the "hood" due to mass gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 07:18 PM

3,704 posts, read 4,858,716 times
Some people seem to put more priorities in their cars so instead of living a couple levels higher in a nicer area and driving a beater they drive a nice, newer vehicle and live in a dump!

Old 12-14-2021, 10:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,395 times
There are no "nice" cars, only expensive cars.

30 years before the Moon landing engineers could design fighter planes that could do 400 mph. So here we are half-a-century after the Moon landing and auto companies keep redesigning automobiles that roll along the ground at less than 100 mph.

Notice that our brilliant economists do not talk about the annual depreciation of the consumer trash.

People buy the stuff for ego and status. If car companies made really GOOD cars they would probably make less money.

Economic Wargames: How the economic model is unsustainable and enslaving.

Old 12-15-2021, 05:29 AM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
Always remember; you can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:02 AM

182 posts, read 120,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
There are no "nice" cars, only expensive cars.

30 years before the Moon landing engineers could design fighter planes that could do 400 mph. So here we are half-a-century after the Moon landing and auto companies keep redesigning automobiles that roll along the ground at less than 100 mph.

Notice that our brilliant economists do not talk about the annual depreciation of the consumer trash.

People buy the stuff for ego and status. If car companies made really GOOD cars they would probably make less money.

Economic Wargames: How the economic model is unsustainable and enslaving.
Yes, a P-51 Mustang could do 440 mph.

Do you not understand why putting an Allison V-1710 in a car so that it can do 400+ mph on the freeway might a) not even work, b) be bizarrely impractical, and c) be a very bad idea?

Old 12-15-2021, 06:05 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Back in the early 90's, I was an appraiser for LA County. I used to go to some iffy neighborhoods in Inglewood. I noticed that while the houses often were not very nice, the cars in the driveway were often nice and there were sometimes a few of them. Also, they tended to be crammed full of large furniture. Not sure why.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:34 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Are they "poor" hoods or higher cost of living hoods where the price of a car, which tends to be more or less standard nationwide where real estate and housing is not, will not get them to an even higher cost of living hood?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:29 AM

10,500 posts, read 7,026,221 times
Same reason why the line at louis vuitton was a mile long after the stimulus checks were released. Using a wide brush here but the people in the hood have no idea how to manage money, and that's why they live in the hood.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:53 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,065,244 times
Doesn't the old saying sound something akin to:
"If you want to create more poor people, give them money!".
Being poor truly is a mindset, and yet another failure of our educational system; which doesn't teach students basic principals of cash flow.
Even my idiot of a neighbor, who has $; wastes it on overpriced and poorly made Jeeps and Harley's.
When they could have bought classic cars a few years back, and made more re-selling than most stocks.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:22 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Couple comments:

1) Status symbol: You'll see young guys fronting with a nice car, still live with mom.

2) Leasing: Some car companies have extremely cheap leases that let younger people get behind the wheel.

3) Older luxury cars with much lower than new value due to high repair costs..... BMW is a common example.

4) Work related: I know a guy that drives a company truck, he's otherwise broke....or they need a truck for work so that's their business\office etc. too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics