Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 09:25 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Fighter jets that do 400 mph are piloted by highly trained intelligent pilots. Cars that drive 100 mph are driven by self-centered idiots who text as they drive. 100 mph is plenty fast enough for a passenger car.

Why do people think I am implying that we should have 400 mph cars?

The point is the sophistication of the mechanical engineering 30 years before the Moon landing. Electronics has advanced but that could be retrofit to a 57 Chevy.

American consumers have spent billions on useless variations in junk and economists do not report demand side depreciation. They treat an air conditioner just like a banana. People don't get as emotional about air conditioners as they do about cars, but it is just another machine.

It is also curious that people who criticise that essay do not mention the bathtub curve or MTBF. Considering how technological this society is they don't get mentioned much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 09:31 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Couple comments:

1) Status symbol: You'll see young guys fronting with a nice car, still live with mom.

2) Leasing: Some car companies have extremely cheap leases that let younger people get behind the wheel.

3) Older luxury cars with much lower than new value due to high repair costs..... BMW is a common example.

4) Work related: I know a guy that drives a company truck, he's otherwise broke....or they need a truck for work so that's their business\office etc. too.

The newest and nicest car I ever had was a 78 firebird. It was a year old when I bought it. I was 22, still living at home with my parents at the time. Living with parents...what other responsibilities did I have?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:42 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
The newest and nicest car I ever had was a 78 firebird. It was a year old when I bought it. I was 22, still living at home with my parents at the time. Living with parents...what other responsibilities did I have?
And what other priority did you have at the time?
Seems like a fun way to use your hard earned money.
I approve.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:52 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My exhusband used to work for ford motor credit company. They targeted the poor. They are in the business of making money from credit, not cars.

That was years ago, you could drive through a poor neighborhood in our city and see dozens of new ford vehicles.

I'm sure the same applies now. No surprise.
OK, this makes sense, thanks. I remember that about making the money from credit. We paid cash for our last new car, and I distinctly recall the crestfallen face of the salesman when he discovered at the end of the process that no credit app needed.

The cars I was noticing were mainly parked, so it seemed they lived there, not just cruising poor neighborhoods for fun.

We have many actual "beaters" here, so probably I am not up on cheaper cars looking like the more expensive ones.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. My first car while still living at home was a used Pinto, lol. Cheap cars looked cheap back then, lol. But I was putting my hard-earned money into horses. Now there's a wise investment:

Old 12-16-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Always remember; you can live in a car, but you can't drive a house.
True dat!

I lived in my Nissan small pickup on my 2 acres in Vermont while building my house. All winter too.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:57 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yeah, I get that. My first car while still living at home was a used Pinto, lol. Cheap cars looked cheap back then, lol. But I was putting my hard-earned money into horses. Now there's a wise investment:
I bought a mink coat with my first Wall Street bonus at 21.
Didn’t care that it was a lousy investment.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:59 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
I'm just explaining, not judging. I like nice cars too.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Tenants have been living rent-free for nearly two years now. In California, they are getting yet another year of free rent.

Nearly all of my tenants have had nicer cars than what I drive. They have different budgeting priorities than I have.
Me too (That is not too tough)
They also have TV's
Dish / Cable / satellite
big BBQ's
Lots of beer cans..

None of which I use or need or desire, or budget for.

Some of my tenants are also paying for "Blow&Go" ignition interlock and the insurance rates that go with DUI's. Rent is probably 'trivial' expense to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I bought a mink coat with my first Wall Street bonus at 21.
Didn’t care that it was a lousy investment.
I bought a brand new factory ordered 4x4 pickup after I scored a 'real' job... that was a lousy investment and the LAST new vehicle I purchased. (an abrupt and effective "life-long learning" at age 17) I kept it for nearly 20 yrs and it only had 38,000 miles when sold (always broken, seldom driven)

Old 12-16-2021, 02:23 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Poor 'hood?

$400 car

$10,000 paint job

$2500 in wheels

$40 in tires

Battery...stolen

Hydraulics (sorry pneumatics)...stolen

License? what's that?

Insurance? See license, above.

Yup, that's the 'hood....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics