Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 08:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times

Advertisements

First of all I’m a homeowner and I’m not hoping for or cheering on a crash in the housing market. But I think it’s important to be realistic and vigilant as to whether we are in a precarious position.

The big counter argument to the idea that a crash is imminent is that, unlike the last crash, the lending standards are more stringent and prospective buyers are well-vetted. Plus there’s crazy low inventory at the moment. I get that.

But why would or should we expect that the next crash will follow the same formula?

In this inflationary and rising interest rate environment, this is what has me concerned:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/mort...oo-much-house/

The majority of homeowners feel “house poor.” Can we agree that’s not a good thing? Maybe they qualified for $XXX mortgage, and felt that they needed to borrow the maximum approved amount in order to compete in the current market. Or maybe they didn’t max out but bought more than they should have.

Well, now they’re stuck with an exorbitant mortgage relative to their total income, and also have to deal with the rising cost of everything that they can’t lock in with a low interest rate.

Is the thought that these homeowners will prioritize their mortgage payment over all other expenses? They’ve been vetted for creditworthiness, after all. But what if just a small minority start to default? Will the rest continue to prioritize their mortgage even if their overall home values start to decrease, especially below what they paid for it? It just seems like a potential house of cards scenario to me. One that is very different from the last bubble in some ways, but also not so different in other ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 07:15 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
First of all I’m a homeowner ...
Does owner = all paid off ... or carrying a balance at 2X, 3X or more of annual earnings?
Quote:
Is the thought that these (large mortgage holders) will prioritize their mortgage payment ...
But what if ...?
At the minimal, let alone the NEGATIVE equity level...

Old 03-25-2022, 10:57 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
I HOPE the housing market crashes and crashes really hard. Nothing would make me happier. Pretty much every millennal / gen Z does.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:59 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Does owner = all paid off ... or carrying a balance at 2X, 3X or more of annual earnings?
What the heck does any of this mean? Makes no sense to me

Old 03-26-2022, 06:39 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you dig deep in that article to find the source, it's a survey of 1002 homeowners with a mortgage.

I couldn't find any more details on the people taking the survey, where they were, when they bought their homes, etc.

If you included all the homeowners with paid off mortgages or those who bought 10-20-30 years ago, you would get the opposite results I'm sure.

Old 03-26-2022, 12:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
First of all I’m a homeowner and I’m not hoping for or cheering on a crash in the housing market.
"The" housing market? To which one of the 120,000+ housing markets are you referring?

Quote:
The big counter argument to the idea that a crash is imminent is that, unlike the last crash, the lending standards are more stringent and prospective buyers are well-vetted. Plus there’s crazy low inventory at the moment. I get that.
Again, which one of the 120,000+ housing markets has "crazy low inventory?"

Did it not occur to you that some people have an agenda and they prey on suckers like you?

Quote:
In this inflationary and rising interest rate environment, this is what has me concerned
Let us know when mortgage rates are the 14%-16% range, you know, like they were in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Quote:
The majority of homeowners feel “house poor.” Can we agree that’s not a good thing?
Honestly, I don't give a damn how they feel, since that has no real bearing on Economics or housing prices.

Quote:
But what if just a small minority start to default?
What if General Lee had B-52 bombers at the Battle of Gettysburg?

Old 03-26-2022, 01:11 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Long term homeowner's do not fear a crash. If they move they sell lower and repurchase lower. If it "crashes" back to 2019 levels most people have not lost anything.

Stock market will crash much more quickly. Stock market and housing market do not have to "crash" at the same time. I'd love the stock market to crash (and get in at lower levels).

Believe you will see people Eat lower on the food chain before they miss mortgage payments. You can dramatically cut food expenses and buy nothing. People will cut everything before they stop paying the mortgage.

People can buy smaller homes too (what's normal will change). Once the prices and interest rates rise to such a point that people no longer qualify then prices will start to adjust. When that is -- anyone's guess as you cannot time the market (though you can try).

Old 03-26-2022, 01:13 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I HOPE the housing market crashes and crashes really hard. Nothing would make me happier. Pretty much every millennal / gen Z does.
Speak for yourself.

A housing market crash would wipe us out faster than everyone else.

Old 03-26-2022, 01:16 PM

7,521 posts, read 3,231,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Speak for yourself.

A housing market crash would wipe us out faster than everyone else.

All this time I thought albert648 was an old rich guy

Old 03-26-2022, 01:29 PM

7,774 posts, read 3,798,128 times
Quote:
First of all I’m a homeowner and I’m not hoping for or cheering on a crash in the housing market. But I think it’s important to be realistic and vigilant as to whether we are in a precarious position.

But why would or should we expect that the next crash will follow the same formula?

In this inflationary and rising interest rate environment, this is what has me concerned:

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/mort...oo-much-house/

The majority of homeowners feel “house poor.” Can we agree that’s not a good thing?
Sorry, but I don't agree. I think the majority of homeowners feel "house rich." The wealth effect is real; they see the resale value of their asset go up each year and they feel wealthier - and spend more.

Clearly, there are both "house poor" and "house rich" households out there, but I don't think the majority feel poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics