Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 07:52 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboucher33 View Post
So the big banks are doing charity work to small banks by not having higher CD rates?
That’s not the case. They don’t need to have higher rates and people still buy the CDs. If the needed you to buy CDs they’d raise the offering but they’d rather you stay in cash and make 0 while they still make net interest on your cash balances and can lend out your money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 08:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
I think it's regulated. The Chase banker asked me if Chase had high CD rates would I get one here or go to another bank for a CD. I said I would get one at Chase, so he said that's why the rates are higher at smaller banks. (I assumed the higher rates give the smaller banks a fair share of the CD business)
The Chase banker doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about. The smaller banks would obviously have to pay a higher cost to the owner and have less net interest, it makes no sense from the banking business side

Old 06-16-2022, 08:58 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Synchrony Bank is currently paying 1.5% interest on 12 month CDs with no minimum balance.

https://www.synchronybank.com/

Old 06-16-2022, 09:32 AM

982 posts, read 608,476 times
Does anyone have any experience with a broker CD such as what was posted earlier regarding Fidelity? I don't quite understand this below from their website.

"Brokered CDs from Fidelity
Fidelity offers brokered CDs through two main venues—as new issue offerings and from the secondary market. Investors typically will see 50–100 new issue offerings and as many as 2,000 secondary offerings at any point in time. New issue offerings are typically sold at par and investors do not pay a trading fee to purchase them.4 Purchases (and sales) of secondary CDs incur a trading fee of $1 per CD (1 CD = $1,000 par value). 5"

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-incom...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 06-16-2022, 09:43 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
A banker told me the major banks don't give higher CD rates because nobody would go to the smaller banks for a CD. Capital One has pretty good rates, better than the other major banks.
That's an interesting thing for a banker to say. My local bank which has branches in a dozen or so counties in PA is showing rates as high as 0.25% for 48 month CD's.

Compared to WF which is in about 40 states, only giving 0.01% and with the maximum term being 12 months.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:48 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
I hope everyone realizes that the only investment where you are guaranteed to lose money, is in a bank CD.

At an interest rate of 1.50% and inflation running at least 8.0% annually, at the end of the year your money that you put away is worth less. Oh, and you get to pay tax on the "income" you earned.

At least in the stock market, especially investing new money now after a drop of 20%, you stand a chance of making gains.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:09 AM

334 posts, read 171,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I hope everyone realizes that the only investment where you are guaranteed to lose money, is in a bank CD.

At an interest rate of 1.50% and inflation running at least 8.0% annually, at the end of the year your money that you put away is worth less. Oh, and you get to pay tax on the "income" you earned.
At least in the stock market, especially investing new money now after a drop of 20%, you stand a chance of making gains.
People are internalizing this 8% too much. Not every darn thing is going to be 8% more expensive on Dec 31 than it was on Jan 1. As a matter of fact, I bet you a bunch of them will be 8% cheaper.

High inflation figure only matters for immediate expenses (food, gas, etc.) you can't avoid, not savings (discretionary spending). This is a good time to have a lot of moveable cash.

I've noticed that online savings rates have been moving up slightly. It was 0.4% not too long ago and now it is 0.9% at Barclays. Not much, but beats bitcoins, the 'value' of which has gone down I hear...

Old 06-16-2022, 11:10 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
People are internalizing this 8% too much. Not every darn thing is going to be 8% more expensive on Dec 31 than it was on Jan 1. As a matter of fact, I bet you a bunch of them will be 8% cheaper.

High inflation figure only matters for immediate expenses (food, gas, etc.) you can't avoid, not savings (discretionary spending). This is a good time to have a lot of moveable cash.

I've noticed that online savings rates have been moving up slightly. It was 0.4% not too long ago and now it is 0.9% at Barclays. Not much, but beats bitcoins, the 'value' of which has gone down I hear...
Correct, the only expense I can't avoid is winter home heatiing oil, I usually only buy sale items in the supermarket, and I curtail my car use. I would not invest any substantial amount in the stock market so the short sellers can steal it again, I learned my lesson in the 2001 .com bust. I'll take my 2.60% or higher CD any day and get my principal back. Additionally, I don't want to spend money to make Biden's administration look good after the disasters he caused.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:21 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a broker CD such as what was posted earlier regarding Fidelity? I don't quite understand this below from their website.

"Brokered CDs from Fidelity
Fidelity offers brokered CDs through two main venues—as new issue offerings and from the secondary market. Investors typically will see 50–100 new issue offerings and as many as 2,000 secondary offerings at any point in time. New issue offerings are typically sold at par and investors do not pay a trading fee to purchase them.4 Purchases (and sales) of secondary CDs incur a trading fee of $1 per CD (1 CD = $1,000 par value). 5"

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-incom...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
If you call Fidelity and ask for the Fixed Income Dept. they will explain it to you, I don't understand brokered CD's entirely. New issue CD's (the dates are on the listings) have no fees to purchase. if you don't hold the CD to maturity you have to sell it on the secondary market, you could sell them for more or less than what you paid. Some CD's are callable, the bank can take it back, some have call protection. The CD's pay interest either monthly or semi-annually.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:32 AM

6,753 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
I've never purchased a brokered CD, but did investigate on Fidelity website.

As I understand, there are two main differences between a brokered CD, and one you would open directly at your own bank.

First, the interest on a brokered CD is typically not accrued, but rather simply paid out on the specified schedule. Second, if you want to get out before maturity you would sell in the secondary market. You may get more or less than you originally paid for the CD, just as with many other fixed income securities.

Giving this description, my preference is to own Treasuries. They are backed by the federal government, with no dollar limit. Also, the interest is exempt from state and local income taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics