Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 11:37 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Good luck in this job market for IRS immediately finding 80,000 warm bodies to fill their available slots (and get through the federal hiring process). The friends I have who have and are still working for IRS are not always fond of their employment. With all the downsizing and resignations, these type of employers are not left with the cream of the crop for hiring managers or workers.

Glad I'm not paying for this......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 12:16 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Good luck in this job market for IRS immediately finding 80,000 warm bodies to fill their available slots (and get through the federal hiring process). The friends I have who have and are still working for IRS are not always fond of their employment. With all the downsizing and resignations, these type of employers are not left with the cream of the crop for hiring managers or workers.

They arent hiring 80k in a year, not a few years, it’s in a decade. Have you decided it’s a lot like your budget? That facts don’t matter?

Old 08-16-2022, 12:23 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

^^^^^this!

McDonalds can't find enough burger flippers and suddenly the IRS will find 80,000 new employees with the qualifications to t be auditors..........yeah right.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:04 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Maybe go read the post I quoted. No one is coming for the middle class, they aren’t hiring 87k agents for audits and if you have to pay what you owe no one “came for you” or “targeted you” the reality is this was a projected hiring number over a decade to get the total irs head count back to 100-110k, replacing rolling out retirees and filling out other positions not just a audit team. Headline grabbing sensationalism at is correct
Maybe read the stats - the reality is that there is nothing in the bill to prevent where they look and the data shows that the majority of the issues are at the bottom - it is only lip service that says they will be used mostly on those making over $400K. The Dems refused to put the restrictions on use in the bill that the GOP proposed because they know that they would not get enough revenue without it - the CBO essentially confirmed it. The CBO has been clear that it’s "non-scorable" in asterisks at the bottom of their estimates. So just the hope that will collect enough to pay for the agents.

Also, what says that they NEED to get back to those prior levels, the data shows very little cheating - this seems more like another "tax the rich" and "punish evil corporations" tactic than trying to fix a real issue.

BTW - I have been audited a couple of times, been cleared every time but kind of not looking to go through it again. It is not a pleasant experience even if you did everything correctly.

Old 08-16-2022, 01:35 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
You are ignoring the info in the bill, well over half, $45.6 billion of that $80 billion, would be spent on hiring more enforcement agents and strengthening enforcement activities - including collecting taxes owed, providing legal support, conducting criminal investigations and providing digital asset monitoring, according to the bill text - those are "auditors" essentially.

The Treasury Department estimated in 2021 that a nearly $80 billion investment in the IRS could allow the agency to hire 86,852 full-time employees - that is where the 87K comes from. Not all are auditors but follow the money, the huge majority will be for enforcement - only $3B is set aside for taxpayer services like answering phones and assisting filing returns. Most of the rest is updating systems. I guess you are trying to obfuscate the reality of what the bill says.

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2022 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Maybe read the stats - the reality is that there is nothing in the bill to prevent where they look and the data shows that the majority of the issues are at the bottom - it is only lip service that says they will be used mostly on those making over $400K. The Dems refused to put the restrictions on use in the bill that the GOP proposed because they know that they would not get enough revenue without it - the CBO essentially confirmed it. The CBO has been clear that it’s "non-scorable" in asterisks at the bottom of their estimates. So just the hope that will collect enough to pay for the agents.
So you haven’t been able to concretely come up with anything but speculation? That’s what it looks like otherwise you’d point to actual data points

Quote:
Also, what says that they NEED to get back to those prior levels, the data shows very little cheating - this seems more like another "tax the rich" and "punish evil corporations" tactic than trying to fix a real issue.
If there’s very little cheating the audits shouldn’t be an issue. Pick your point to argue against. Do they need to get back to prior headcount? Yes, they are severely behind, have been for considerable time and there is without a doubt a drop in headcount, audits and uncollected amounts. It’s basic

Quote:
BTW - I have been audited a couple of times, been cleared every time but kind of not looking to go through it again. It is not a pleasant experience even if you did everything correctly.
If you have been audited multiple times something is up, w2/1099 filters who file on time have a very low audit risk. So what is your issue? Something is up or you are massively unlucky

Old 08-16-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You are ignoring the info in the bill, well over half, $45.6 billion of that $80 billion, would be spent on hiring more enforcement agents and strengthening enforcement activities - including collecting taxes owed, providing legal support, conducting criminal investigations and providing digital asset monitoring, according to the bill text - those are "auditors" essentially.
Over 10 years, not all 87k enforcements agents, it’s also not new people it’s partially replacements

Quote:
The Treasury Department estimated in 2021 that a nearly $80 billion investment in the IRS could allow the agency to hire 86,852 full-time employees - that is where the 87K comes from. Not all are auditors but follow the money, the huge majority will be for enforcement - only $3B is set aside for taxpayer services like answering phones and assisting filing returns. Most of the rest is updating systems. I guess you are trying to obfuscate the reality of what the bill says.
I know where it comes from and it wasn’t in the bill. It also not necessary for you and others to fabricate what it is or isn’t. I’m the one obfuscating? Please tell me exactly what the bill says, please tell me how many enforcement agents the bill says will be hired in year 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 10. Please point out where I’m obfuscating, complete nonsense on your part. Scream name calling and then fabricate whatever you want

Last edited by Yac; 08-17-2022 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-16-2022, 07:46 PM

7,595 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Now let's see if that gets us our refunds faster than 5 months. 1040 EZ filer, senior citizens, not a big check but still my money should not take that long. Nothing further I can do to eliminate the refund.
I usually file electronically February 1st and have my refund automatically deposited to my account no later than February 15th. The State return takes longer (usually an additional 2-3 weeks).

Old 08-17-2022, 12:40 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
I'm still baffled as to how spending 80 billion for hiring new IRS agents that are estimated to bring in enough additional tax to both cover their costs and an addition 124 billion is being described as a thin margin on coming out ahead.

If I could hire three workers for $200k that were expected to bring in $500k in new revenue, I would not describe it as a thin margin for profitability for the new hires.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:03 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
We’ll see how the irs is able to recruit.

The outrageous demands of reform in the U.S and globally is causing an accelerated exodus of tax professionals as they retire (too much change, too much work). The field is considered “older” and this crunch has been forecasted for years. At the same time, many companies are de-merging or spinning off business lines, which is creating job opportunity and new departments. CPA creation slowed because younger people went to computer science/other technical fields because it’s a not a sexy profession and they increased the college requirements to the equivalent of a masters degree with another 12 to 18 month exam prep on top of that for licensure.

The firms of course tried to offset this with technology and/or offshoring, but it’s mostly blown up in their face.

Tax professionals in their 30s and 40s are about to be handed the golden ticket in life.

Maybe I’ll take a gig with the irs? Nahhhh

Last edited by Thatsright19; 08-17-2022 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics