Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2022, 03:54 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
No Germany, had planned to be nuclear free by 2022. The Russian conflict disrupted their energy market. Originally Germany ran predominately on nuclear power until the rise of the green party.

https://world-nuclear.org/informatio...n/germany.aspx

It's pure ignorance to get rid of atomic energy without understanding you need energy diversification in case of energy price disruption like this. Now they country is scrambling to store gas and stockpike on wood.
I thought he was talking about Ukraine for some reason. Nuclear is more on the green side, isn’t it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 08:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Can someone please translate this all? I have not a clue what in the heck this all is.
Just ignore it, most posters do. Jetgraphics has some ideas pulled from the sovereign citizen movement which are not grounded in reality.

He is likely to respond to my post trying to justify his position with absurd quotes from Black's Law Dictionary, which he seems to think is a definitive authority.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:52 AM

3,206 posts, read 1,668,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I thought he was talking about Ukraine for some reason. Nuclear is more on the green side, isn’t it?
You would think, but this is Germany we're talking about and the voters are ignorant to the fact that they've enjoyed low price energy due to the competitiveness of different energy markets available to them. By removing atomic energy, they become dependent on fewer energy resources and vulnerable to higher prices due to less competition. Germany in a move to get cheaper power, signed a pipeline deal with Russia in 2018 in order to keep electricity cheap. Now that Russia turned off the last NG pipeline, the price of energy skyrocketed in Europe. They don't have energy diversification and now must scramble to burn coal. The government has already asked people to not take hot showers and restrict electricity consumption by 20%

Old 09-15-2022, 08:55 AM

15,432 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Can someone please translate this all? I have not a clue what in the heck this all is.
It's all irrelevant hogwash not based on any known reality.

Old 09-15-2022, 10:31 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:

Start with something easier....like watching and understanding Ancient Aliens...but just the dude with the hair. (don't worry, one episode is sufficient.

The main misconstruction is that the OP doesn't understand accounting. When you acquire something, you do so at cost. That is, if I am a bicycle shop and I purchase a bike for $50 that I plan to resell for $100, it is still only $50 on my balance sheet until I actually sell it, at which point it turns into $100 of receivable or cash.

Apply this principle to the government's gold hoard. Most of which was acquired at $20 to $38 an ounce 100 years ago. That is still the value placed on the stuff to this day. It's value in nominal dollars has significantly appreciated. This is the biggest part of the error. Saying that the VALUE of the gold is only x, when in reality it is much higher. It's the cost basis only. Everything from there is misconstrued on this one component, implying a scarcity that isn't real before stemming off into a branch of the sci-fi.

Spun the other way, the government is sitting on a massive unrealized gain in their gold holdings.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:31 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
List prices are getting cut in my area. Some pretty deep. Just saw one cut from 599 to 499. 100k, 17%, that's a pretty big cut.

Interest rates maybe are finally doing something.
That house was probably overpriced to begin with. List prices may go down a little but Interest rates will continue to go up - the end effect is that will probably pay a little more each month.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:50 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
When the stock market and real estate market hit rock bottom, then that is going to be a golden buying opportunity.

So, get out the popcorn and be ready to pull the trigger!

Old 09-16-2022, 06:13 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
That house was probably overpriced to begin with. List prices may go down a little but Interest rates will continue to go up - the end effect is that will probably pay a little more each month.
In my situation that is a good thing. I need my cash to go further to get the payment to what I want. I can save more cash so if prices fall further I'll be set. I need about a 26% drop. I actually think it could happen now.

What I'm seeing locally is that the working class areas are getting cut more steeply than the tony areas. People with lots of cash are not settling and sinking more cash to get what they want. The working classes without big chunks of cash are getting priced out as buyers. The house in question was in one of these more working class neighborhoods.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
In my situation that is a good thing. I need my cash to go further to get the payment to what I want. I can save more cash so if prices fall further I'll be set. I need about a 26% drop. I actually think it could happen now.

What I'm seeing locally is that the working class areas are getting cut more steeply than the tony areas. People with lots of cash are not settling and sinking more cash to get what they want. The working classes without big chunks of cash are getting priced out as buyers. The house in question was in one of these more working class neighborhoods.
Your original thing was you were rejoicing in the suffering of others now it seems limited to the working class getting shafted so you can buy.

You do realize that a 26% drop is someone else's loss - I would not count on those type of drops - sellers will likely pull the sale rather than take a steep drop. Realistically, the increases in interest will likely whipe out any gain in prices.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When the stock market and real estate market hit rock bottom, then that is going to be a golden buying opportunity.

So, get out the popcorn and be ready to pull the trigger!
Two issues - you got to know what is the bottom - that is very difficult and you got to have money to afford to buy. It would be a fools game to buy stock on margin so better have the dough. The bottom of the RE market is likely to coincide with the highs in interest rates wiping out much of the gain in price but adding to capital gains you will have when go to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics