Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 04:34 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times

Advertisements

if inflation is 8% and we are eating 4% savings,we are under the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 05:30 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
This why you need to invest for the longer term, as in the stock market to beat inflation over the longer term. Simple savings will not do it.

Old 11-02-2022, 09:41 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I assume inflation is higher than the "official" number I haven't delved into it lately.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I assume inflation is higher than the "official" number I haven't delved into it lately.
Why do you assume that?

Old 11-06-2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Why do you assume that?
Because the government often removes a good that has higher inflation from the basket of goods that it calculates the inflation rate from.

There is also Geometric Adjustment: if a loaf of bread goes up by 5% year-on-year, they cut one-third of the loaf off, so the remaining smaller loaf is cheaper and therefore only went up 3% and the govt says the inflation on bread is 3% when it was actually 5%.

Another reason is annual Social Security cola payments.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:42 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Because the government often removes a good that has higher inflation from the basket of goods that it calculates the inflation rate from.

There is also Geometric Adjustment: if a loaf of bread goes up by 5% year-on-year, they cut one-third of the loaf off, so the remaining smaller loaf is cheaper and therefore only went up 3% and the govt says the inflation on bread is 3% when it was actually 5%.

And I think your opinion is mistaken. The CPI reflects average inflation rates quite accurately. It doesn't reflect personal inflation rates. If you are buying things that are not in the market basket of goods you may end up having more or less inflation. There is always someone out there claiming the government is deliberately understating the rate of inflation. Its been that way since I was a kid.

Old 11-07-2022, 10:27 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:

Your 100% wrong about this. The BLS does, in fact, adjust for "shrinkflation."

In July, the cost of groceries increased 13.1% compared to last year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics' (BLS) July Consumer Price Index (CPI). In addition to tracking prices, the BLS also monitors "shrinkflation"— when the price of a product stays the same (or rises), but its package size gets smaller.

But according to the BLS, shrinkflation is a type of price increase. “That’s something we track and account for," Steve Reed, an economist at the BLS told Yahoo Finance. For example, when looking at the "pricing a 64-ounce [container] of orange juice and we try to price it and it’s only 59 oz; maybe it’s the same price, but for 59 ounces instead of 64 ounces, that’ll be computed as a price increase.”

https://news.yahoo.com/shrinkflation...162827304.html

Old 11-11-2022, 05:27 AM

Mark and MadMan,

I appreciate your responses and I'm always open to re-assessing if I'm off-base or wrong.

But again, the US govt lies about inflation.....It's pushed down, similar to the U3 Unemployment rate.

The BLS is an agency of the govt.

I'm aware there are organizations that are outside of the government and not influenced in their data collection....True?

Quote:
Why Is the Consumer Price Index Controversial?
By BARCLAY PALMER Updated October 01, 2022
Reviewed by ROBERT C. KELLY
Fact checked by SUZANNE KVILHAUG
https://www.investopedia.com/article...priceindex.asp

Old 05-05-2023, 02:37 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
“The imperial need for control is desperate because it’s so unnatural.

Tyranny requires constant effort. It breaks. It leaks.

Authority is brittle. Oppression is the mask of fear. The day will come when all these skirmishes and battles will have flooded the banks and then there will be one too many. One single thing will break this. Remember that.”
I thought this was the economic forum, not the P&OC forum. In what way is the strengthening dollar "Tyranny" or "Oppression" in economic terms?

Old 05-08-2023, 08:57 AM

3,215 posts, read 1,673,950 times
The CPI is so wrong, the government selectively pick items that didn't go up as much in price while everything else goes up.

Another problem is that suppliers are capitalizing on this and many retailers are slow at passing on the cost to consumers.

For example, a delivery of goods suddenly went up in fees or price during final delivery. And the retailers cannot just update the prices quickly so they have to absorb the cost increase.

This is what's killing Target right now, they haven't been able to offset supply chain price increases to consumer who can just turn around and buy from amazon or other cheaper places. We should have a separate thread about Target maybe counting down towards massive store closures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics