Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2022, 09:29 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

The last time the Fed had to crush inflation (80-81) it was devastating for many countries whose debts were denominated in dollars. Mexico got it really bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 11:05 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The dollar will continue its relative strength run into the medium and probably longer term for three reasons:

1. One may make a case that the Swiss franc is the safest currency in the world. I'd argue it's still the USD. During times of turmoil across the world investors and governments turn to the greenback itself and dollar denominated securities and assets as safety plays.

2. Overlapping 1........around the world many sellers of everything from commodities to purses and haircuts prefer and often demand to be paid in greenbacks. As an example.....I used to own a small slice of an oil and gas hard-goods supplier. We sold things like oil stem (drilling pipe) in Africa, we accepted nothing but dollars as payment with scant exception. We would on occasion make small deals in local currency but always at significant premium.

The above occur mainly because the USD is a better store of value than local currencies. Better price stability, better confidence etc.

3. Inflation seems sticky upwards so I have little hope the Federal Reserve will lower rates anytime soon. An increasing US discount rate and other tightening measures tend to correlate with higher bond yields and the later in particular correlates strongly with a strong $. So we are where we are for a good while.
The Feds statement last year that "Inflation was transitory" was partially correct. Because they were measuring inflation due to supply and logistical issues with the global pandemic. They didn't increase rates at the time, now that borrowing costs are higher but they haven't accepted that supply issues can't be fixed with rates. They now stubbornly said they need to be more hawkish to address inflation.

Raising rates has nothing to do with fixing the CPI. Doesn't take a genius to understand that energy prices causes inflation.

Old 10-19-2022, 04:47 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post

Raising rates has nothing to do with fixing the CPI. Doesn't take a genius to understand that energy prices causes inflation.

Your first claim is simply incorrect and the second incomplete. Energy prices have exacerbated this round of inflation they did not cause it. It also does not take a genius to understand that energy prices are rolled into headline CPI.

Old 10-20-2022, 01:07 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
The posts on this thread have been helpful.

Below is a brief vid on how housing & rent prices can skew inflation numbers. Some or many of you folks in this section of the forum know this.

I didn't know that 1/3 of the inflation basket data is actually the "Shelter Index."

This data is also calculated less often and differently.

Owned home are assigned a number called "Owner Equivalent Rent" (OER) based on what the house or condo can rent for based on comps in the area. This is done this way b/c home ownership is considered investment.

It's called "Sticky Prices" b/c these prices change less frequently than food, gas prices, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OuF-xeGi4

Old 10-20-2022, 08:22 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Your first claim is simply incorrect and the second incomplete. Energy prices have exacerbated this round of inflation they did not cause it. It also does not take a genius to understand that energy prices are rolled into headline CPI.
My 1st claim was that Feds believed inflation was temporary because at the time there were logistical supply issues due to Covid last year. They did not care about the low interest rate environment and left it alone.

My 2nd claim is that the current inflation is due to energy price spikes and their claim is they want to fix inflation with interest rate hikes is useless. In fact I think it will be more harmful to rapidly raise rates while energy spikes put even more strain to businesses and consumers.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
The posts on this thread have been helpful.

Below is a brief vid on how housing & rent prices can skew inflation numbers. Some or many of you folks in this section of the forum know this.

I didn't know that 1/3 of the inflation basket data is actually the "Shelter Index."

This data is also calculated less often and differently.

Owned home are assigned a number called "Owner Equivalent Rent" (OER) based on what the house or condo can rent for based on comps in the area. This is done this way b/c home ownership is considered investment.

It's called "Sticky Prices" b/c these prices change less frequently than food, gas prices, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OuF-xeGi4
Good post.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
My 1st claim was that Feds believed inflation was temporary because at the time there were logistical supply issues due to Covid last year. They did not care about the low interest rate environment and left it alone.

My 2nd claim is that the current inflation is due to energy price spikes and their claim is they want to fix inflation with interest rate hikes is useless. In fact I think it will be more harmful to rapidly raise rates while energy spikes put even more strain to businesses and consumers.

This is what I was responding to:

Your words........"Raising rates has nothing to do with fixing the CPI. Doesn't take a genius to understand that energy prices causes inflation."

1. The first part is simply wrong. The Fed. increasing rates is all about slowing GPI which is reflected through CPI. Period.

2. Sharply increasing energy prices can drive inflation. However, this round of inflation began before energy prices shot up. FE PPI, several non-energy commodities etc. began to increase in price well before oil and gas.

Old 10-21-2022, 03:38 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
The dollar will continue its relative strength run into the medium and probably longer term for three reasons:

1. One may make a case that the Swiss franc is the safest currency in the world. I'd argue it's still the USD. During times of turmoil across the world investors and governments turn to the greenback itself and dollar denominated securities and assets as safety plays.

2. Overlapping 1........around the world many sellers of everything from commodities to purses and haircuts prefer and often demand to be paid in greenbacks. As an example.....I used to own a small slice of an oil and gas hard-goods supplier. We sold things like oil stem (drilling pipe) in Africa, we accepted nothing but dollars as payment with scant exception. We would on occasion make small deals in local currency but always at significant premium.

The above occur mainly because the USD is a better store of value than local currencies. Better price stability, better confidence etc.

3. Inflation seems sticky upwards so I have little hope the Federal Reserve will lower rates anytime soon. An increasing US discount rate and other tightening measures tend to correlate with higher bond yields and the later in particular correlates strongly with a strong $. So we are where we are for a good while.
1. I don't think that there are enough Swiss franc to service the world's needs.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
The strength of dollar is not hurting the oil producing countries,oil is quoted in US $$

Old 10-21-2022, 04:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
ALSO strong dollar makes our goods and services more expensive ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics