Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 07:40 AM

17,294 posts, read 22,013,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Excellent advice! Pretty much what I've done since age 12. By 52, I was out of debt, & semi-retired.

I never made huge money either....or invested better than most. I always got the employer 401k match, maxed out IRA's (until I made too much), HCA's, 529, & lived beneath my means. Paid cash for cars, pd off credit cards each month, put at least 20% down on homes. Millionaire Next Door stuff mostly.

Over 40 years, it worked, as did the miracle of compound interest, & self-discipline...most don't have it.
Amazing huh! Simple stuff and consistency are your friend!

I worked as a financial advisor in Boca Raton as a first job out of college. I was stunned at how many broke people walked into my office despite huge incomes!

Cardiologist made 400K a year W2 income, yet didn't own a house/leased everything and and zero discretionary income. He had 180K in mutual funds though, never contributed to them but when I asked where did they come from, he inherited them from his mother! Why was he in our office: he wanted to gamble the mutual fund money with some dot com type stuff so he could have a bigger down payment for a house!

Another lady showed up and wanted to take 500K in CD's and invest for "at least" a 15-20% return. She was a signer on her elderly fathers accounts and wanted to take his 500K, get a bigger return and she would give him the 5% or whatever the CD paid at the time then live off the rest so she didn't have to work!

WTF are you people scheming to live the big Boca lifestyle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 09:51 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,148,402 times
Save as much as possible and don't have a "bleeding heart."

Every person I have known who has ended up getting pushed into bankruptcy ended up there due to getting overextended because they made poor financial decisions based on emotion.

Cash is king is the old saying. Now we can say that being a long-term thinker can save you from peril.

Old 01-15-2023, 10:42 AM

106,621 posts, read 108,757,383 times
More often than not over most time frames CASH IS TRASH .

To grow the bits and pieces we manage to save takes good long term compounding and that ain’t coming from cash.

All markets trade on fear ,greed and perception so emotions is what makes markets trade at all ..so emotions are certainly part of things .

What hurts people is poor investor behavior, which can be caused by emotions .

But we could never have markets work if it weren’t for all of us buying and selling by emotion as fear and greed are the prime drivers

Old 01-15-2023, 11:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Just telling someone live below your means is like saying only invest in stocks that go up or telling someone get a good job

It really is not actionable in any meaningful way and lacks exact definition of what that really means as well as how much to actually spend and save in this case
But it is actionable and a major first step for anyone who has credit card and other debts.

Old 01-15-2023, 11:54 AM

Not really , because it specifies no savings component or money to pay off debt , nor how much should go towards that . Nor does it even elude to what should be saved as a minimum if anything .

One can simply have all their discretionary and non discretionary spending take up the whole budget as long as it is a few bucks less than the current income .

It is just a blind mantra pretty much .

Like I said , it’s like telling someone get a good job.

Or make good investments,

Sure we all know what that means , but what does it mean in actionable terms.

In fact it reminds me of the rich man poor man author who writes all these books and never tells you exactly what it is you are supposed to do to use his general non descriptive advice

Old 01-15-2023, 04:13 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Depends. If your income is below average, you may need to spend 70%+ of your income on necessities. Especially with food, car and rent prices skyrocketing.

If your income is above average, you could get by with spending 1/3 on necessities.
Everyone who passed Econ 101 knows there is no such thing as a "necessity." Economics is about the optimal allocation of scare resources in a world of infinite wants and desires. What some people mistakenly label as a necessity is merely a want or desire.

Old 01-15-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Not in the U.S. Most cities aren't walkable. Between walking to and from busstops, to waiting at the bus stop, to being on a bus that makes many stops, it'll take you 90 minutes for a trip that would be 20 minutes to drive.

There are a few cities like Seattle and NYC that are, but the rent in those places is very high, and any money you save on auto costs, you pay in rent.

Not having a car also limits your search radius for jobs. Someone may not be able to get to the $20+/hr job that's 10 miles away from where you live, so they have to accept the $14/hr job that's 2 miles away instead.

Is there a point buried somewhere in this word salad?

Old 01-15-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Living beneath your means is spending less than you make = savings.
Not necessarily. I spend far less than I make, and always have. At the same time, I have zero savings and always have had zero savings.

Old 01-15-2023, 08:37 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
How much?
More than you are currently.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Everyone who passed Econ 101 knows there is no such thing as a "necessity." Economics is about the optimal allocation of scare resources in a world of infinite wants and desires. What some people mistakenly label as a necessity is merely a want or desire.
Exactly … we all can live cheaper than we do even if it involves moving .

We just have our lines in the sand where we prefer not to .

Golden girling it , roommates,etc are all potential ways of living cheaper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics