Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 09:36 PM

990 posts, read 544,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
That's because people mistook 'simple' with 'easy'. Saving is like dieting - we all know what we need to do because it's a simple concept, but it takes discipline to keep at it no matter the temptation - which is not as easy to do.
The problem in todays economy is that saving is not an option due to the fact that salaries are not commensurate with inflation. In 1980 my dad was a teacher, mom only worked part time as a freelance writer, they had a $700/month mortgage, us three kids and my dad was involved in a motorsport (a rather pricey hobby). Now, a teacher can barely afford an apartment for rent much less have disposable income and support a family. Now both parents have to work and make a combined income of at least $100k/year to live a middle class lifestyle. God forbid one of the parents actually stays home with the kids to make sure they are guided, taught, loved and disciplined. IMO our economy and social well being/mental health are in direct conflict with each other and each is it's own house of cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 06:09 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Just ordered the book. Looking forward to reading it.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:50 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Just finished the book. Of all the investment & personal finance books I have read, this one comes closest to the way I manage my money and investments.

Old 04-02-2023, 09:50 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if one has no choice they have no choice …

but many of us do find ourselves with choices as we roll our 401ks over or sell assets , get inheritances .

the point is , where choices are involved lump sum vs dollar cost averaging in has won over and over as far as results.

you would have to be a good market timer to buck that .

which is why we don’t sell everything when we reach our desired allocations and start over
This part seems backwards. Wouldn’t you have to time the market successfully in order to know when to lump sum it? With DCA, there is no market timing.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:43 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
This part seems backwards. Wouldn’t you have to time the market successfully in order to know when to lump sum it? With DCA, there is no market timing.
nope ..because markets are up 2/3rds of the time and down only one third you would need to be a superb timer in order to dca in over the long term and beat lumps sum.

if what you believed was true we would all reach our desired allocation , sell and start from zero again .

you can see over time that wouldn’t work well at all

here is kitces analysis

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Conventional investment wisdom suggests that dollar cost averaging is a good approach to allocating investment dollars over time. By always investing a constant dollar amount, the strategy ensures that fewer shares will be bought as prices rise, while more shares are purchased if prices decline, bringing down the average cost per share in the long run. The only question is over what time horizon it’s best to average in.

Yet as it turns out, the answer is “none”. In reality, a dollar cost averaging investment strategy doesn’t actually enhance returns in volatile markets that have similar upside gains and downside losses on a percentage basis. And given that on average, markets go up more often than they go down, choosing to dollar cost average is more likely to just leave gains on the table (and the longer the time period, the greater the risk of foregone returns).

https://www.kitces.com/blog/dollar-c...duces-returns/

Old 04-03-2023, 05:22 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,913,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Just finished the book. Of all the investment & personal finance books I have read, this one comes closest to the way I manage my money and investments.
Glad you liked it. Its a fun, easy read as well.

Old 04-04-2023, 01:49 AM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS414 View Post
The problem in todays economy is that saving is not an option due to the fact that salaries are not commensurate with inflation.
Then find a new job or company, no one ever forced me to work for a firm that I felt wasn't paying me enough.

The world doesn't owe anyone anything.

Old 04-04-2023, 02:06 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
The problem in todays economy is that saving is not an option due to the fact that salaries are not commensurate with inflation.
Are you sure? According to SLFed USA reached an all-time high in inflation adjusted wages in right before covid hit, and they are currently higher than any time in history pre-2020. Unless you're in the "they cook the inflation books" camp salaries are still at a great place versus inflation.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LES1252881600Q

Salaries versus inflation is one thing, salaries versus how much people spend is another.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
The problem in todays economy is that saving is not an option due to the fact that salaries are not commensurate with inflation. In 1980 my dad was a teacher, mom only worked part time as a freelance writer, they had a $700/month mortgage, us three kids and my dad was involved in a motorsport (a rather pricey hobby). Now, a teacher can barely afford an apartment for rent much less have disposable income and support a family. Now both parents have to work and make a combined income of at least $100k/year to live a middle class lifestyle. God forbid one of the parents actually stays home with the kids to make sure they are guided, taught, loved and disciplined. IMO our economy and social well being/mental health are in direct conflict with each other and each is it's own house of cards.
Then find another job that pays better so you can support you and family better. I deal with hiring every day and salaries are higher than ever before. Furthermore, despite the layoff news, plenty of high paying jobs left unfilled. Even a junior Accountant with less than 2 years of experience can expect 70K - 75K pay in 2023 (more if you live in high labor cost locations such as NY or CA).

Old 04-11-2023, 11:19 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
We keep printing our way towards our demise.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/WALCL

Stay invested, dont spend money recklessly but wisely, and understand human nature. Middle class is priced out of the system. The path of least resistance is inflation and bailouts. Dont fight central banks. Dont expect politicians to be fiscal conservatives.

Birth rates will continue their decline. The west is in decay because of the price of housing. No need to be defeatist about it though. Play by the rules you are given. Be an impartial observer of human nature. Dont make decisions with emotions.

Every single nation that has fallen did so because of overprinting, not because of deflation as MMTers claim, but hey, let them be wrong again. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics