Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 03:32 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

You know you've become extraordinarily big when economists can measure the effect of your concerts on the economy! I wonder if anybody ever did this to Beatlemania in 1964?

Here in KC, she stopped for 2 concerts last weekend. Hotels were jammed. On Saturday I was driving through the Country Club Plaza, and it looked like there were double the # of people there that there usually are on a Saturday. Plus there were a lot of extra out-of-state license plates.

Taylor Swift's impact on the economy has caught the eye of the Fed
Quote:
Taylor Swift's Eras tour, which consists of 131 concerts across 17 states and 5 continents, has caught the attention of the Federal Reserve due to its noticeable impact on local economies.

The tour, which has attracted hundreds of thousands of Taylor Swift fans to cities across the country, helped boost hotel revenues considerably in Philadelphia.

"Despite the slowing recovery in tourism in the region overall, one contact highlighted that May was the strongest month for hotel revenue in Philadelphia since the onset of the pandemic, in large part due to an influx of guests for the Taylor Swift concerts in the city," the Fed said in its most recent Beige Book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 04:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Here in Seattle she will be here 7/22-23. I'm willing to bet that the impact will far outweigh the MLB World Series that we just had earlier this week. Fortunately it's a weekend so it won't affect my commute to work (I go right by the stadium).

Old 07-13-2023, 04:42 PM

4,376 posts, read 1,693,382 times
I have season tickets to the local venue where she will be performing. I don't get free concert tix (It's a sporting arena), but I get early access to most shows at the venue. I tried to get Taylor tix twice with my early access, but the tix were gone in about 10 minutes. It's crazy.

Old 07-13-2023, 04:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
It just reminds me how out of touch I am with the typical "pop culture indoctrinated" individual, LOL. I suppose it's no different than going to any other event. I've never been one to celebrity worship though. To me they are just people, like everyone else. That the entire American population via social media are basically "plugged into" or "assimilated" into our culture in this manner and that so many can become fans of an individual to me is a fascinating look into human nature and psychology along with our evolution. I guess I find that stuff interesting.

Old 07-13-2023, 05:01 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I suppose it's no different than going to any other event.
Here in KC there were 100K people crammed into Arrowhead Stadium for each concert. That's hardly just another event.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:53 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
[quote=James Bond 007;65546884]You know you've become extraordinarily big when economists can measure the effect of your concerts on the economy! I wonder if anybody ever did this to Beatlemania in 1964?

I'm sure the PTB here in Nashville know all about this.

Starts in the 1950's when Elvis was new & the King. Money for anyone else died.

Same for the 1964 Beatles & Rock & Roll. This was about when the Nashville Sound was created to make country sound more like pop. Also you had a chance for crossover hit. Country artist would climb up popular music charts. TV shows like Lawrence Welk, Ed Sullivan, would have country acts on their program.

Amazing impact of the show Nashville on TV Even if it lasted only a few seasons. Now the cast is on tour around the country. TV show had big impact of making Nashville IT City.

Country music of today is way different from the 1960's. Elements of rock/blues/gospel mixed together. Then you take electric instruments, drums, other items.

Finally you have the impact of so many fans at recent CMA Fest in downtown Nashville. Watch the taped show on ABC TV. Not sure how popular Circle network is on cable TV. Good question about Grand Ole Opry broadcast on wsmonline.com around the world. Tune in with your app & the sound is as if you were on the front row.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:03 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I guess she's a modern version of Dolly Parton? Good for her.

Life is so dreary these days, I have no issues with people enjoying Taylor Swift.

Old 07-14-2023, 05:53 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here in Seattle she will be here 7/22-23. I'm willing to bet that the impact will far outweigh the MLB World Series that we just had earlier this week. Fortunately it's a weekend so it won't affect my commute to work (I go right by the stadium).
I saw a picture of a sign for that All-Star game this week showing $100 to park at a lot for it. What is typical Seahawks price to park in same lots? I’m trying to guesstimate if this price is crazy or normal…

Old 07-14-2023, 06:02 AM

6,538 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Here in KC there were 100K people crammed into Arrowhead Stadium for each concert. That's hardly just another event.
The cheapest ticket a weekend or two ago at Vikings stadium for last row of upper deck was $1,500 or so. An early 50’s country/rock musician on our very popular sports radio morning show in Mpls actually loves Taylor as she still writes all or parts of her songs. Said that isn’t the case for so many now. He did say she is “the Beatles” of so many now.

Old 07-14-2023, 06:10 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I'm not going to be a spoilsport here, ............a long time ago someone mentioned Swift concerts are often little group outings (as we all know teenaged girls like to do things in groups) ....so for people who can afford to go, it turns into an event.

I'm not going to rain on parades here. Swift became a popular culture phenom, like David Bowie or Michael Jackson.

Last edited by SkyLark2019; 07-14-2023 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics