Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2023, 10:15 PM

2,329 posts, read 961,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
How much more incentive do you wish to provide to alter the economic behaviour of the chronically poor?

As opposed to the enabling the economic behavior of the predatory rich?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
A 27 year old female moved into our neighborhood (2 doors down) last summer. My next door neighbor was trying to figure her out (what she did for a living). She's single. She was having a bunch of landscaping work done so my neighbor was concerned about the changes (or at least curious). So, recently she told me she saw her on Facebook and she has been doing accounting work for car dealerships and I had also recently seen an opening at my Acura dealership and noticed that they pay well.

So, you know this 27 year old girl with a regular job was able to save enough money to buy a $595,000 house and put a down payment and get financed. I'm going to guess that she lived with roommates or did whatever she had to do to save money. She's only 27 and she is working her way up the food chain.

...you know just like a boomer and every other generation. She's not sitting around whining about the unfairness of it all.
So you're saying we have to scrimp and save and sacrifice and potentially work multiple jobs in order to afford a basic necessity that was once a possibility in this country 70 years ago on a single income, because the rich and NIMBY types have lobbied against building more affordable housing, while mega corps buy up hundreds of thousands of homes for the purpose to renting to those who can't afford housing anymore because they made it unaffordable? Got it.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's like this. You need to figure out how the game will work for you, especially if you have antisocial tendancies. It's hard to go from 0 to 1 million....easier to go from 5 to 10 million. Always was that way.

Otherwise, butter up buttercup and find yourself a hero. Whether that's a boss you constantly kiss up to, or a spouce that will support you, or elderly neighbors who are wealthy and you care for them.

In the Boomers time I believe they called it, sing for your supper and you'll get breakfast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4bTCdPLDdo
I know how the game works and it sucks for those who don't know or can't play it, and in the long run, it will destroy the country.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Absolutely. I agree with those who who implied it is a coping mechanism, instead of blaming themselves it is easier to blame the system, even if that requires bending reality to suit the worldview.
I'm doing decently well in this system (net worth over $2M, $400k annual comp not including my other streams of income at 37) but I can see its eventual downfall.
Is it worth it to win the game when the town/state/country you live in is burning to the ground?

Old 05-21-2023, 11:51 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues5 View Post
I know how the game works and it sucks for those who don't know or can't play it, and in the long run, it will destroy the country.

In the long run, we're all dead. At the end of day, we're all doing a commute down the cursed CA 101. We have our entrance and our exit, and we're going to get there. What we get to control is did we cut off 40 people and nearly cause an accident in our ride or did we let a few in while not playing our radio's and mufflers too obnoxiously loud.

We're as insignificant as ants, and we're not the queens. Accept it and do what you can.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:31 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
In the long run, we're all dead. At the end of day, we're all doing a commute down the cursed CA 101. We have our entrance and our exit, and we're going to get there. What we get to control is did we cut off 40 people and nearly cause an accident in our ride or did we let a few in while not playing our radio's and mufflers too obnoxiously loud.

We're as insignificant as ants, and we're not the queens. Accept it and do what you can.
I tried to stay within a reasonable distance of the speed limit, didn’t run anyone else off the road or cause any accidents.

I did personally “pull over†a few people, well…several hundred…off of their financial highway and helped to “revoke†their “driver’s licenseâ€. They may have changed future direction and driving habits to get back on the right highway or, they may have driven into a ditch, off a cliff or decided to walk from there. Personal choices come into play.

Now, it could be their first car was a BMW with gas and insurance fully paid by mommy and daddy not a credit union financed Dodge Dart Sport with insurance assigned to a state risk pool but that was only the vehicle. How they drive and where they go is up to the driver.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:56 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos and many others have donated tens of billions of dollars to charity.

America's most generous billionaires have donated at least $169 billion in their lifetimes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesw...h=15d3c70e3a6c

Many of them have pledged to give away all of their wealth to philanthropic causes after they become deceased.

So, what is this predatory behavior of the rich?

Old 05-22-2023, 08:57 AM

7,825 posts, read 3,823,458 times
Quote:
Studies have shown the poor to be more fat because they eat cheap, unhealthy junk food consisting of empty calories, void of nutrition.
Men and women require ~2500 and ~2000 calories per day, respectively.

Morbidly obese people are so affluent they purchase and consume 6,000 to 12,000 calories per day. If they had no money, they would not be purchasing 12,000 calories per day.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The subject is motivating the chronically poor to change.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
So you're saying we have to scrimp and save and sacrifice and potentially work multiple jobs in order to afford a basic necessity that was once a possibility in this country 70 years ago on a single income, because ...
Quite reliably, when you use the word "because", you signal your error in economic analysis is about to occur. The only question is what the error will be.

You're always good for a morning chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics