Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 11:03 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

All I see when I look at the map is that more people are moving away from bad weather. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Except for California where they are moving away from the mess their politics have made, because no one moves away from California because of the weather. California has the best weather in the entire country. Unfortunately, the people moving don't seem to realize that their politics caused the problems and they carry their politics with them and then try to apply to their new home and ruin it, too. And politics or not, California still has increasing population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 06:46 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
All I see when I look at the map is that more people are moving away from bad weather. Politics has nothing to do with it.

Except for California where they are moving away from the mess their politics have made, because no one moves away from California because of the weather. California has the best weather in the entire country. Unfortunately, the people moving don't seem to realize that their politics caused the problems and they carry their politics with them and then try to apply to their new home and ruin it, too. And politics or not, California still has increasing population.
My understanding is that any population increase in recent years is due to immigration, much of it illegal, from south of the border. Apart from that, the state is experiencing a net outflow of population.

NY Times says 0.46% drop in 2020.

This population decline has continued into 2022. In fact since 2020, California has lost over half a million people.

California claims population will begin rising again. I don't know. The cost of housing, taxation on business, and the crime rate all have to be addressed before the state can resume the kind of growth they used to enjoy in the 1990s and earlier.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:54 PM

20,863 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
California claims population will begin rising again. I don't know. The cost of housing, taxation on business, and the crime rate all have to be addressed before the state can resume the kind of growth they used to enjoy in the 1990s and earlier.
While housing prices are definitely high, as are taxes, California's crime rate is more near the middle of the pack.

U.S. Crime Index State Rank
https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...-rate-by-state

Old 07-25-2023, 03:09 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Sorry, that is incorrect - CA had less population last year and seems to be losing more this year. The state has had more moving out of CA to other states than moving into CA every year since 2000 and all but 2 years since 1992. They have only maintained the population because of births and those moving in from other countries. Sometimes just barely, in 2019, the gain was officially all of 173 people out of over 39 M, a 0.000004 growth rate. From the Public Policy Institute of CA;

Quote:
According to the American Community Survey, from 2010 through 2021 about 7.7 million people moved from California to other states, while only 5.8 million people moved to California from other parts of the country. According to estimates, the state has lost residents to other states every year since 2000.
If you look at where the shifts in population in CA were, they are out of the urban, coastal areas (LA lost over 230K, SF over 60K) and into the more rural central valley. Many of the ones coming into CA from outside the US are mostly poor, unskilled and more than a few illegals.

While I agree that many leaving CA are bringing their politics with them, they are often leaving because of taxes and not correlating that with the politics they endorse.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:03 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Sure there is.................moving from higher cost of living areas to cheaper areas! Top 4 plus MA are all high cost areas, and the whole list of inbound are cheaper areas with the exception of Colorado.
Vermont is the #1 state people are moving to??? really? Vt is not cheap, by any means. They tax everything.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Sorry, that is incorrect - CA had less population last year and seems to be losing more this year. The state has had more moving out of CA to other states than moving into CA every year since 2000 and all but 2 years since 1992. They have only maintained the population because of births and those moving in from other countries. Sometimes just barely, in 2019, the gain was officially all of 173 people out of over 39 M, a 0.000004 growth rate. From the Public Policy Institute of CA;
The bolded is complete and utter hogwash.

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/peo...te/california/

https://www.macrotrends.net/states/c...nia/population

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...in-california/

The Census figure for 2010 is 37 million and in 2020 it's 39 million. It's kinda tough to grow by over 2 million in a decade and have more moving out than moving in. The birth rate vs death rate roughly amounts to this change so any difference you could be talking about is statistically insignificant. The population change over the last 2 years has declined by an also statistically insignificant .9% per year. But don't let facts get in your way (it never has before). [Mod cut: personal]

Not to mention, maybe you can explain why a drop in population in an area that is clearly overcapacity is a bad thing? It actually isn't and if you were to ask any resident of the state, I assure you they would welcome it. There are some really stupid people in Texas that thing growing exponentially is apparently cool. Personally, I don't think of traffic everywhere, excessive property tax appreciation, and infrastructure issues as cool.

Last edited by elnina; 07-26-2023 at 04:45 AM..

Old 07-25-2023, 02:05 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Vermont is the #1 state people are moving to??? really? Vt is not cheap, by any means. They tax everything.
Yup, they're #44 for overall taxation (where #50 is the most taxation). Just ahead of Minnesota, NY, California, & a couple of other states.

There's also not a whole lot of work there. You could get a job with Ben & Jerry's, I guess.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:16 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In my home state, of Ct , 4 moved out for every three moving in. Nothing new there.

https://www3.forbes.com/leadership/t...ving-to-v3/10/
Once the source for most accuracy is posted, to answer the correct “which states are losing the most” from the thread’s title, this thread is done.

Continued on and on and on is my data is better than your data. Similar to religious arguments of my religion is better than yours….

Old 07-27-2023, 02:56 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
The bolded is complete and utter hogwash.

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/peo...te/california/

https://www.macrotrends.net/states/c...nia/population

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...in-california/

The Census figure for 2010 is 37 million and in 2020 it's 39 million. It's kinda tough to grow by over 2 million in a decade and have more moving out than moving in. The birth rate vs death rate roughly amounts to this change so any difference you could be talking about is statistically insignificant. The population change over the last 2 years has declined by an also statistically insignificant .9% per year. But don't let facts get in your way (it never has before). [Mod cut: personal]

Not to mention, maybe you can explain why a drop in population in an area that is clearly overcapacity is a bad thing? It actually isn't and if you were to ask any resident of the state, I assure you they would welcome it. There are some really stupid people in Texas that thing growing exponentially is apparently cool. Personally, I don't think of traffic everywhere, excessive property tax appreciation, and infrastructure issues as cool.
Actually you are not correct. You are going by what you think is true rather than the data. I quoted the source directly - you are confusing the overall population changes with the moves between states. I already explained the difference and it is very statistically significant. The data actually comes from the CA Department of Finance's estimate (official state estimate) and US census data, the quote before and the chart below are from the public policy institute of CA ppic.org;

The fact is that CA has had a net migration out to other states for quite awhile and according to the data that the CA Dept of Finance just released, that trend is expected to continue - Bloomberg report.

Here is another report;

Quote:
The state Department of Finance (DOF) has reported, in its official population estimates, that California continued to lose population during calendar year 2022, with a population of 39,840,000 on January 1, 2023, down from 138,000 from its January 1, 2022 population. This is more than the previous year’s loss of 118,000.

However, population losses are unusual in a state that has historically enjoyed steady and sometime exceptional growth. But for more than two decades, an exodus has been mounting and often questioned by exodus deniers. More than 1,000,000 more people moved to somewhere else in the United States in both the 2000s and the 2010s, and just since the 2020 censpopulation, us, another nearly 900,000more residents left than arrived. The total reported Census Bureau net domestic migration loss was 3.475 million — more than the combined 2022 population of the cities of Chicago and Washington, DC.
You may be one of those "exodus deniers" that the report talks about. Don't let the facts and the actual data that is in the official report from the state get in your way - the data is the truth.

BTW - This is not a Texas vs Cali discussion, but it is not the "really stupid people in Texas" that are at issue - CA has more population, traffic and taxes than TX - those are just the facts.

Last edited by ddeemo; 07-27-2023 at 03:25 AM..

Old 07-27-2023, 09:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The states that are picking up people are not the lowest tax states nor the cheapest housing states. Texas and Georgia are not the cheapest nor lowest tax states you can go to. Somebody check the home prices in the major metros of those states, please.

Something else I'll note is that due to housing prices and mortgage rates, people are selling their houses at some of the lowest rates on record. So mobility is low right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics