Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Inflation over the coming 18 months?
Inflation will go up 27 38.57%
Inflation will go down 23 32.86%
Inflation will stay the same 19 27.14%
Wait. What is inflation? 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 07:54 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post

Inflation is still worse than ever. We can't keep going on like this. It's just unsustainable.
Any trend that cannot go on in the long run, won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 08:00 AM

14,427 posts, read 14,348,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Guessing Game: What is going to happen to Inflation over the comping 18 months?

a) Inflation will go up
b) Inflation will go down
c) Inflation will stay the same as it is now
d) What's inflation?
Its going down. I predict it will the CPI increase will be 2.5% in 2024.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:05 AM

1,100 posts, read 433,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
In 2013 I paid around $6,500 for a new HVAC. This summer (different house), I paid $11,000 for a new HVAC. So in my 10 years of experience, that is a 5.4% average annual increase, which is about what inflation is running now.

Of course, your example points out that the bulk of that increase occurred within the past year, which makes sense. From 2013 to 2021, inflation was fairly low.
$12,000 for two bedrooms, a guest bath, and a master suite. It took me days to get over that sticker shock. And if he's right about Trane units going up 40% after January...what, roughly $17k? I have two units so that would be $34,000 theoretically next year if I needed two. That is beyond absurd, I can't even think of a word. This house is 2200 square feet, it ain't the Biltmore.

I found a much cheaper price from a great guy who works for himself and has no overhead for $9,000 thank God. But that was a favor called in, expect to pay about what I said from any regular HVAC company.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:11 AM

19,884 posts, read 18,165,037 times
Quote:
No it hasn't.

I was just quoted $12,000 for an upstairs HVAC for 4 rooms. We paid $8700 for an identical unit for downstairs last year, which is larger. Plus, Trane products are going up 40% again in January, and I assume labor too, according to them and a friend of mine who owns an HVAC business.

Inflation is still worse than ever. We can't keep going on like this. It's just unsustainable.

In 2019 the HVAC quote was $6200.

He's talking about the rate of inflation and he's correct.

You are talking about prices over time and you are correct.

______

What's your source for Trans prices going up 40% in January? If that's your from your sales guy I'd have some hard questions.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:14 AM

19,884 posts, read 18,165,037 times
Quote:
$12,000 for two bedrooms, a guest bath, and a master suite. It took me days to get over that sticker shock. And if he's right about Trane units going up 40% after January...what, roughly $17k? I have two units so that would be $34,000 theoretically next year if I needed two. That is beyond absurd, I can't even think of a word. This house is 2200 square feet, it ain't the Biltmore.

I found a much cheaper price from a great guy who works for himself and has no overhead for $9,000 thank God. But that was a favor called in, expect to pay about what I said from any regular HVAC company.
The 40% thing sounds absurd because it is probably incorrect.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:15 AM

1,100 posts, read 433,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
What's your source for Trans prices going up 40% in January? If that's your from your sales guy I'd have some hard questions.
He probably exaggerated it as part of the sales pitch but I don't doubt it, I guarantee it will be more next year.

In 2021 I ordered our boat, made sure to make it happen and get our asses in the door before costs went up more.

Took delivery last summer, I asked my broker. Exact same boat same options $17-20k more.

Sea Ray ski boats used to be around 50 grand for a good one, now expect $80k or more. Mine cost 62 or 63k for loaded out but that was in 2021 when I paid for it.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:38 AM

20,731 posts, read 19,395,022 times
There is no market driver for inflation. The rate of inflation is set by da guberment. This is especially true with fiscal policy , and I would say the weakest and almost fraudulent means is the interest rate. Credit is not tightens with interest rates and in fact interest payments go fro the public to the private sectors the higher it is. Revere requirements, credit standards. and asset valuations matter much more. If da gubermtn waves its wand and tells banks they must make loans to sub prime for social justice , much more money will be created.

Any way they can cause deflation or runaway inflation. They already have done it many times. Both major depressions happened on gold standards the US after the war demonetized silver and green backs . It was a mathematics certainty to have a depression. The British Gold Standard Act 1925 set the stage for the next global Depression. Germany built its war machine by going off the gold standard , printing its own money just like Lincoln did.

So that is why I wear snow shoes financially speaking. its what ever they want. They pretend there is no money when they want and then they find $100/$200 billion for Ukraine, whenever they want.

Old 09-30-2023, 08:38 AM

711 posts, read 300,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Guessing Game: What is going to happen to Inflation over the comping 18 months?

a) Inflation will go up
b) Inflation will go down
c) Inflation will stay the same as it is now
d) What's inflation?
No one knows. If they did, they can run for the position of "God".

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Inflation has come down, but it'll be difficult to get down to the Fed's 2% target, which is a number they must have pulled out of their, umm, hat. Energy and housing are the two biggest problem areas, and both are due to tight supply, and raising interest rates wont help either. In fact, higher rates are making the housing issue worse, not better.
It's actually gone up a bit since June 2023 to August, but lower than last year.

But what people forget is that last years inflation is fixed into the price already and won't be reversed. Lower inflation is good news, but it won't fix the damage already done.

Last edited by Johnny Wadd; 09-30-2023 at 08:46 AM..

Old 09-30-2023, 09:28 AM

259 posts, read 119,745 times
Inflation is highly correlated to energy costs. OPEC is tightening supplies over the next 18 mo.'s, which will increase inflation here.

Our gov't is doing very little to counter OPEC's tightening, so energy prices will climb, & so will inflation.

Any increases in production we've seen recently, is just a rebound in our post-covid economy, not a real increase over pre-covid production levels.

High interest rates are also inflationary, & interest rates will continue to climb over the next 18 months.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:50 AM

3,806 posts, read 5,346,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its going down. I predict it will the CPI increase will be 2.5% in 2024.

A few months before the election, right? Yeah, I can see that happening also. Manipulated for the incumbent. Maybe he'll do another strategic oil reserves release if there is any remaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics