Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM

148 posts, read 644,939 times

Advertisements

I still can not get over how much typical middle class people will spend on things and not bat an eyeball.

Have you noticed how almost everyone at the Movie Theatre needs to each get a huge large popcorn and 32 oz drink along with their $11 ticket?

People spend $9.00 for a single beer at the football game

I have friends who go to a coffee bar and spend $7.00 for a fancy Coffee in the morning and in the evening also.

Others go out to lunch and spend $30 at simple places like Ruby Tuesday.

What happened to the middle class lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,348,076 times
It is insane!!
We spent 20.00 on 4 cones of ice cream the other day in good ole Jersey..............
Milk is going up again too!!!!!!!

Luckily I do not drink coffee!! I love snapple Lemon Iced Tea though!! and that is 9.99 for a 12 pack!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM

159 posts, read 632,506 times
The prices on things got shielded from concern because people thought only of how much a month they had to outlay in credit card payments. I think the bravado of conspicuous consumption is being re-evaluated as a Madison Avenue ploy all along.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post

We're still out here, slugging away at it. Corporate just doesn't notice us as we're never seen at the counter or at the table. To them we're almost un-American as we just won't play the game. Media pays no attention to us as we make really boring copy.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
All that stuff has gone by the wayside for me since gas hit $4/gal.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
It's just amazing to me. All those people who are desperately trying to make ends meet, yet they think nothing about their $4 a day Starbucks habit.

Here's a great way to curtail your spending: Consider that the government, in one form or another, gets roughly 50% of every dollar you make, once you factor in income taxes, FICA, FUI, SUI, state, local, property, gas, and sales taxes. That means you really have to earn $2 to make a $1 purchase.

Now, when you go to the movie theater, ask this question: Is this movie really worth $16? Or, at the Starbucks, ask yourself, is this latté worth $8? Because that's what it really is costing you.

Not that you can't splurge on a movie ticket or latté every once in a while. But it sure is a great way to cut out reckless spending on crap you don't need.

What's more, if everybody thought that way, I bet those $5 ice cream cones would get priced a lot lower a lot more quickly.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
I think that way alot: why buy a beer for 5 dollars when I can buy a sixpack for a few dollars more? Yeah...I guess you're paying for the social experience...invite friends over instead. I don't do Starbucks. I purchase good coffee from the store (not Starbucks either) and make it at home. I just don't understand how people drop money like they do. My co-workers eat out for lunch every day at 15-20 dollars a pop! Give me a break!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:59 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,937,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I think that way alot: why buy a beer for 5 dollars when I can buy a sixpack for a few dollars more? Yeah...I guess you're paying for the social experience...invite friends over instead. I don't do Starbucks. I purchase good coffee from the store (not Starbucks either) and make it at home. I just don't understand how people drop money like they do. My co-workers eat out for lunch every day at 15-20 dollars a pop! Give me a break!
Agree with you totally. I work at a private school so my lunch is free, but BF brown bags it everyday and takes a thermos of coffee. Even when we go to a ball game we carry in our own sandwiches, water and peanuts.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:03 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
People want to LIVE their life instead of constantly trying to scrimp and save every penny they make. I love my Starbucks coffee every morning and I like to go out and eat a few times a week; it isn't like this spending is cutting into anything important. These little luxuries make life worth living, I could never be one to stay at home all the time and not go out and enjoy myself.

$30 for a meal is nothing, my bill at an average priced restaurant with my girlfriend usually over the $40 mark. Figure two meals for $15/ each and add 2 drinks each at about $4/ drink and you're already at $46 plus another $9-$10 for a tip and you're around $55 for the evening. It's just something I enjoy doing and $55 for an enjoyable evening is worth it to me. You only live once.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:06 PM

148 posts, read 644,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
People want to LIVE their life instead of constantly trying to scrimp and save every penny they make. I love my Starbucks coffee every morning and I like to go out and eat a few times a week; it isn't like this spending is cutting into anything important. These little luxuries make life worth living, I could never be one to stay at home all the time and not go out and enjoy myself.

$30 for a meal is nothing, my bill at an average priced restaurant with my girlfriend usually over the $40 mark. Figure two meals for $15/ each and add 2 drinks each at about $4/ drink and you're already at $46 plus another $9-$10 for a tip and you're around $55 for the evening. It's just something I enjoy doing and $55 for an enjoyable evening is worth it to me. You only live once.
Fine, but live with the repercussions if you lose your job and can not find a new one and discover you had no money saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics