Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 AM

146 posts, read 641,687 times

Advertisements

I like to watch all those financial shows on CNBC and the other News Channels. The media loves experts and even though many of the experts are wrong most of the time, they are kept on and invited on the same shows again and again because they must have some television presence.

I am sure the TV talking heads are know that the guest is really not that knowledgeable but they are treated like Gods and the media will not call the experts to task for their bad predictions. What is it about our media and financial experts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:53 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I like to watch all those financial shows on CNBC and the other News Channels. The media loves experts and even though many of the experts are wrong most of the time, they are kept on and invited on the same shows again and again because they must have some television presence.

I am sure the TV talking heads are know that the guest is really not that knowledgeable but they are treated like Gods and the media will not call the experts to task for their bad predictions. What is it about our media and financial experts?
Peter Schiff was essentially banned from CNBC because Kudlow didn't like him. Now that his theories are temporarily being challenged from a stronger dollar and weaker gold/oil, me thinks that Kudlow might start to let him back on for a good laugh. Of course, after the dead cat bounce is exposed, Peter's mic will be cut off again

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Most are dopes that follow trends and are usually a day late and a dollar short with there predictions.

I do personally like View's from the peak's guy peter schiff. Also like Nouriel Roubini, Jim Rogers, and Allen Meltzer. But that just my picks, others may have choose some other people.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:20 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
They either have something to gain from manipulating the market or are clueless idiots. That's my opinion anyway.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Its all a ratings game.

CNBC would go out of business if all they talked about were low cost index funds (which are probably one of your best investments to make)

Old 08-15-2008, 02:59 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
They either have something to gain from manipulating the market or are clueless idiots. That's my opinion anyway.
And I share your opinion on that!

Amazing, though...how many people, especially the older folks, are glued to their TVs every day listening to this stuff as if it were gospel. Even if you believe in 'all stocks all the time', you have to see through this nonsense.

You'd think the crummy track record, at least, would turn people off. Nope!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I treat them the same as the messages ending up in my spam folder!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Is Jim Rogers on a show regularly? He used to be on one of the Fox Saturday morning shows.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:22 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,510,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Is Jim Rogers on a show regularly? He used to be on one of the Fox Saturday morning shows.
I've seen him a lot of Maria Bartiromo's Wall Street Journal Report. I do admit I don't hear him as much on bloomberg anymore.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:49 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Gee, why do you think they are wrong most of the time? It is because they are lying to you. EVERYTHING they have said is a premeditated and deliberate lie. "There is no problem in the housing market" There is no housing bubble" Housing has bottomed out" The housing problems will not affect the rest of the economy. "There is no danger of a recession" "Indy Mac is financially sound" "Freddy Mac and Fanny Mae are too big to fail" "The inflation rate is only 2%" "Housing will bottom in 2009" "The financial stimulus bill will prevent recession".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics