Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 PM

783 posts, read 2,587,733 times

Advertisements

The economy is so bad that friends offer sex for a dollar Plus friends and or relatives want you fired by calling your employer in order to get your job. Just today a former classmate, friend and co-worker wants my job

Obviously the individual has just proven not worthy to be a friend and future co-worker.

At this rate; there seems to be no light. Sure public medias say otherwise but "we" are having difficulty holding to our jobs. Executives are now willing to work for 1/10 of their previous salaries. Brothers are turning against sisters just to state the least of outrageous acts!! Employers are having difficulty collecting the stimulus the Fed promise because customers are not just there to spend - guess what these employers close their business and join the pool of unemployment candidates out there.

The question I have for all; is in what distant future shall this economic saga drift back to the good old days. Accountants, economist, financial advisers and other experts- what is/are your opinion(s).

Last edited by 2goldens; 05-05-2010 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM

40 posts, read 73,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
The economy is so bad that friends offer sex for a dollar Plus friends and or relatives want you fired by calling your employer in order to get your job. Just today a former classmate, friend and co-worker wants my job

Obviously the individual has just proven not worthy to be a friend and future co-worker.

At this rate; there seems to be no light. Sure public medias say otherwise but "we" are having difficulty holding to our jobs. Executives are now willing to work for 1/10 of their previous salaries. Brothers are turning against sisters just to state the least of outrageous acts!! Employers are having difficulty collecting the stimulus the Fed promise because customers are not just there to spend - guess what these employers close their business and join the pool of unemployment candidates out there.

The question I have for all; is in what distant future shall this economic saga drift back to the good old days. Accountants, economist, financial advisers and other experts- what is/are your opinion(s).
Never.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:05 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allensays View Post
Never.
Never say never!!

There must be a time; l pray before l'm forced to file for bankcruptcy.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 AM

18 posts, read 30,600 times
the 50's will never come back.The goverment wants us poor they care for other countries then there own.Time to move out of the USA im thinking Canada.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
we have survived WW2, Depression, and think of the time when we had Polio, this was all major and I mean major problems, my Dad tells me the thought the world was coming to an end when Polio was around!!!!! We will get thru this too!!!!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
The government's lap dog media has been saying the recession is over. We're supposedly in the recovery, jobs are on the rebound, housing is up, stock market is up, consumer confidence is up. That's what they're saying.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:14 PM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The government's lap dog media has been saying the recession is over. We're supposedly in the recovery, jobs are on the rebound, housing is up, stock market is up, consumer confidence is up. That's what they're saying.
And I believe every word they say because they would never lie to me and I'm a good consumer.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:27 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
we have survived WW2, Depression, We will get thru this too!!!!
The we that survived the depression and WWII is dead, the we that will "get through" this is a different breed of human.

The "golden age" of the middle class alla the 1950s is gone, at least for this historical cycle (think centuries or millennia).

That doesn't mean that this recession won't end and there will be other periods of stable growth, but the standard of living for the average worker will probably revert to where it was in the 1970s, except for a few new perks like neater telecommunications and videogames.

Barring catastrophic events, it will probably take another 2-3 years for the economy to stabilize, but maybe 5-10 years, again, stabilize meaning a return to 1970s-type standards of living for most people, certainly not the end of the world, but not like the high-flying early 2000s either.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:33 AM

377 posts, read 878,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
we have survived WW2
Sorry, but I disagree with you. Saying "we survived WW2" would be the same as saying "we" survived Vietnam war, and now Iraq war, etc. Majority of "we" never experienced any wars, thus, no survivals to speak of.
"We" made money on WW2 and enjoyed economic growth and prosperity, while other countries were rebuillding, and "we" had no competition on the world market. It helped us (a lot!) to get out of Great Depression.
But "we" did not survive it as it was never here.
The last war "we" survived was our civil war.

Sorry for off topic everybody.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:09 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
Also, take stock of what's happening in Greece. Yeah most aloof americans would still callously consider Greece as pseudo third world country simply because their folklore differs from ours, but if you think in the least that the reduction, freezing, or otherwise cutting of entitlement programs in the US (the equivalent to what the greek "austere" measures are aiming for) won't lead to social disorder in magnitudes that dwarf the Greek incidents, you're drinking the Mickey Mouse "that'll !NEVER! happen in America" kool-aid.

There is going to be a period of lack luster economic growth and a reduction of the standard of living in this country. The 2010s will not be a fun decade. And this aforementioned reduction in standard will not be an inconsequential one either. I'm talking two generations to a house, dramatic reduction in driving miles (due to skyrocketing energy costs) per household, longer hours at work, lack-luster defined-contribution based retirements, people in their 20s-30s making jack chit for decades. A country where you can still have a safe life, but it won't be something to write home about. This will not sit well with many, specially the "wait a second, I went to college to make decent money, not to come out 5 figs in debt with a high school diploma an a beater car to show for it!" A failed service economy where nobody produces chit, everybody claims to be a "think worker" and every swinging dick and harry down to the janitor has a bachelor's degree, is not a recipe for recovery I'm afraid.

The rich will still get richer and have a ball though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics