Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Washington Mutual biggest banking failure in history of United States economy, largest US savings and loan, JPMorgan, bank bailout, bad mortgage lending

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:40 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times

Advertisements

WaMu is largest U.S. bank failure

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:55am EDT

Email | Print | Share
| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (1)
[-] Text [+]

1 of 1Full Size
Video

Asia lower on bailout woes
Play Video

Bailout deal stalled
More Video...

Related News

INSTANT VIEW: WaMu is largest U.S. bank failure 25 Sep 2008

Market News

Oil falls $3 on concerns over U.S. rescue plan
Index futures point to lower Wall Street open
Fortis shares sink again, authorities on watch
More Business & Investing News...

Featured Broker sponsored link

Trading will never be the same.

By Elinor Comlay and Jonathan Stempel
NEW YORK/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Washington Mutual Inc (WM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) was closed by the U.S. government in by far the largest failure of a U.S. bank, and its banking assets were sold to JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) for $1.9 billion.
The rescue marks a historic step to clean up a U.S. financial system littered with toxic mortgage debt.
Washington Mutual, the largest U.S. savings and loan, was closed by the federal Office of Thrift Supervision, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp was named receiver. Customers should expect business as usual on Friday, the FDIC said.
The bailout came after the thrift suffered deposit outflows of $16.7 billion since September 15, the OTS said.
"With insufficient liquidity to meet its obligations, WaMu was in an unsafe and unsound condition to transact business," the OTS said.
Seattle-based Washington Mutual has about $307 billion of assets and $188 billion of deposits, regulators said. The nation's largest previous banking failure was Continental Illinois National Bank & Trust, which had $40 billion of assets when it collapsed in 1984.
The transaction gives JPMorgan roughly 5,400 branches, and fulfills JPMorgan Chief Executive Jamie Dimon's long-held goal of becoming a retail bank force in the western United States.
It comes four months after JPMorgan acquired the failing investment bank Bear Stearns Cos at a fire-sale price.
"Jamie Dimon is clearly feeling that he has an opportunity to grab market share, and get it at fire-sale prices," said Matt McCormick, a portfolio manager at Bahl & Gaynor Investment Counsel in Cincinnati. "He's becoming an acquisition machine."
On a conference call, JPMorgan said the transaction will add to earnings immediately, and result in $1.5 billion of annual cost savings, including from the closure of less than 10 percent of the combined company's branches. He also said JPMorgan plans to issue $8 billion of stock.
The acquisition does not cover Washington Mutual's equity, senior debt and subordinated debt holders, the FDIC. The FDIC said the transaction will not affect its roughly $45.2 billion deposit insurance fund.
The transaction also comes as Washington wrangles over the fate of a $700 billion bailout of the financial services industry, which has been battered by mortgage defaults and tight credit conditions, and evaporating investor confidence.
"It removes an uncertainty from the market," said Shane Oliver, head of investment strategy at AMP Capital in Sydney. "The problem is that markets are in a jittery stage. Washington Mutual provides another reminder how tenuous things are."
Washington Mutual's collapse is the latest of a series of takeovers and outright failures that have transformed the American financial landscape and wiped out hundreds of billions of dollars of shareholder wealth.
These include the disappearance of Bear, government takeovers of mortgage companies Fannie Mae (FNM.P: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Freddie Mac (FRE.P: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and the insurer American International Group Inc (AIG.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), the bankruptcy filing of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc (LEHMQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), and Bank of America Corp's (BAC.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) planned purchase of Merrill Lynch & Co (MER.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz).
JPMorgan, based in New York, ended June with $1.78 trillion of assets, $722.9 billion of deposits and 3,157 branches. Washington Mutual had 2,239 branches and 43,198 employees.
Shares of Washington Mutual plunged $1.24 to 45 cents in after-hours trading after news of a JPMorgan transaction surfaced. JPMorgan shares rose $1.04 to $44.50 after hours.
119-YEAR HISTORY
The transaction ends exactly 119 years of independence for Washington Mutual, whose predecessor was incorporated on September 25, 1889, "to offer its stockholders a safe and profitable vehicle for investing and lending," according to the thrift's website. This helped Seattle residents rebuild after a fire torched the city's downtown.
It also follows more than a week of sale talks in which Washington Mutual attracted interest from several suitors.
These included Banco Santander SA (SAN.MC: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), Citigroup Inc (C.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), HSBC Holdings Plc (HSBA.L: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD.TO: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Wells Fargo & Co (WFC.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), as well as private equity firms Blackstone Group LP (BX.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) and Carlyle Group CYL.UL, people familiar with the situation said.
Less than three weeks ago, Washington Mutual ousted Chief Executive Kerry Killinger, who drove the thrift's growth as well as its expansion in subprime and other risky mortgages, and replaced him with Alan Fishman, the former chief executive of Brooklyn, New York's Independence Community Bank Corp.
The transaction also appears to be a costly defeat for David Bonderman and his private equity firm TPG Inc TPG.UL, the lead investor in a $7 billion capital raise by the thrift in April. TPG was unavailable for comment.
Washington Mutual's roughly $227 billion book of real estate loans put the thrift at the top of the critical list of U.S. lenders, analysts said. More than half of this portfolio was in home equity loans and in adjustable-rate mortgages and subprime mortgages that are now considered risky.
Thursday's transaction makes JPMorgan close in size to Citigroup, now the largest U.S. bank by assets.
JPMorgan has surpassed Bank of America in size. That bank would become the largest U.S. bank once it completes its planned purchase of Merrill Lynch, expected in the first quarter of 2009.
DIMON POUNCES
The deal is the latest ambitious move by Dimon.
Once a golden child at Citigroup before his mentor Sanford "Sandy" Weill engineered his ouster in 1998, Dimon has carved for himself something of a role as a Wall Street savior.
Dimon joined JPMorgan in 2004 after selling his Bank One Corp to the bank for $56.9 billion, and became chief executive at the end of 2005. While results have been hurt by the credit crisis, JPMorgan has suffered less than many rivals.
Some historians see parallels between him and the legendary financier John Pierpont Morgan, who ran J.P. Morgan & Co and was credited with intervening to end a banking panic in 1907.
Bank of America Chief Executive Kenneth Lewis has also been credited with helping reduce damage on Wall Street with his acquisitions this year of Merrill Lynch and Countrywide Financial Corp, the nation's largest mortgage lender.
Washington Mutual has a major presence in California and Florida, two of the states hardest hit by the housing crisis. It also has a big presence in the New York City area.
The thrift amassed $6.3 billion of losses in the nine months ended June 30. It had also projected $19 billion of mortgage losses through 2011, but analysts said credit losses could reach as high as $30 billion.
"It is surprising that it has hung on for as long as it has," said Nancy Bush, an analyst at NAB Research LLC.
(Additional reporting by Paritosh Bansal, Christian Plumb and Dan Wilchins; Jessica Hall in Philadelphia; John Poirier in Washington, D.C. and Kevin Lim in Singapore; Editing by Gary Hill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Well, with JPMorgan Chase buying WaMu, I have to believe this transition is gonna be smooth.

This is one I have been watching for two months . . . as we have funds w/ WaMu. Seems to me, this takeover will be fairy seamless, and I doubt the average consumer will notice much change, except perhaps in lines of credit, any changes in interest rates (CDs), etc.

I suspect JPMorgan will end up in a good position after this fire sale . . .

Just makes me wonder . . . what's next?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:23 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Default Love is in the air

Well, when we get down to 3 banks being masters of the Universe we just won´t have much to talk about anymore here on CD. Maybe the tide will turn to topics of sex, love, good food and wine. Can´t wait for all of this to sort itself out.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Well, when we get down to 3 banks being masters of the Universe we just won´t have much to talk about anymore here on CD. Maybe the tide will turn to topics of sex, love, good food and wine. Can´t wait for all of this to sort itself out.
Which 3 are you refering to? I think BOA, Wachovia, JP Morgan, Citi, Wells Fargo are all still hanging in there. However, I am all for redirecting the conversation to the other topics you mentioned!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:42 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
So how many people here need the wine and food to get the other two topics

Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Which 3 are you refering to? I think BOA, Wachovia, JP Morgan, Citi, Wells Fargo are all still hanging in there. However, I am all for redirecting the conversation to the other topics you mentioned!
Yep. I had the first 3 in mind. Forgot about the 2 not in front of me everyday.
Heck, these failures all look the same after a while. We´re getting jaded.
Next time probably won´t make front page news. Page 6 sex stories go to page one and two and bank failures to page 6.

Onward and upward to cheery news and lets put the past behind us.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
I am surprised WaMu lasted this long. But this transaction was pretty strange in that the Board and even the CEO of WaMu had no clue they were being taken over. How can that happen? I bet they were thinking they would be saved by the government bailout, just waiting for congress to act, thinking things will turn better in a week or so, and then..... whammo!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I am surprised WaMu lasted this long. But this transaction was pretty strange in that the Board and even the CEO of WaMu had no clue they were being taken over. How can that happen? I bet they were thinking they would be saved by the government bailout, just waiting for congress to act, thinking things will turn better in a week or so, and then..... whammo!
Yeah . . . that may well be what has gone on . . . after all, it appears that is why the talks b/c Wachovia and Morgan Stanley suddenly ended. Morgan Stanley assumes they will be benefitting from the big bailout. All this just goes to show . . . why some of these situations need to be addressed in the PUBLIC SECTOR rather than having $700 B in funny money infused into this crisis.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, with JPMorgan Chase buying WaMu, I have to believe this transition is gonna be smooth.
You'll be fine. I've got a very good friend that works at Chase, and what will happen is that initially you won't see anything going on. If you have WaMu credit cards, they'll eventually be converted to a Chase card. Also eventually you'll no longer see the WaMu name on your bills and statements, but you shouldn't notice any adverse effects. Chase got a great deal for this one and they're strong.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:30 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

This is one I have been watching for two months . . . as we have funds w/ WaMu. Seems to me, this takeover will be fairy seamless, and I doubt the average consumer will notice much change, except perhaps in lines of credit, any changes in interest rates (CDs), etc.

I suspect JPMorgan will end up in a good position after this fire sale . . .

Just makes me wonder . . . what's next?
JPMorgan did not buy or "take over" WaMu. What JP Morgan did buy was the deposits in WaMu, not their bad debt. The bad debt is still out there waiting to be picked by Bush's "No Questions Asked, No Rules" plan to bail out Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics