Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You would think after so many years of building cars they would have learned how to build a good, reliable, and economical vehicle. Guess not. Looks like they are heading toward bankruptcy. Any thoughts? What happens to all those pensions that won't be insured because there isn't going to be enough money?
GM was plagued by Mustache Petes that gave us boring cars.

They also engaged in shady sales practices, offering 60 and 72 month loans which caused the sheeple to become upside-down on the loan as the car was of little or no value which encouraged the sheeple to trade in their cars for new ones every 2 to 3 years.

However that flooded the market with used cars which cut into their sales, and as some of the sheeple finally started to question the wisdom of making monthly car payments for their entire lives, their sale slowly plummeted.

Foreign auto-makers started to eat into GMs world-wide sales and that was pretty much the end.

"Cash Back," Rebates, "Customer Loyalty Bonuses" and "Employee Pricing," are marketing gimmicks they use to sell cars. The substantially lower prices reflect grotesque over-supply versus weak demand for new cars.

GMs position will not improve over the long-term.

You the tax-payer will pick up the tab on the pension through the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, a private corporation authorized by Congress, like the Federal Reserve.

You currently owe $500 Billion on the underfunded S&P company pensions. Your total unfunded tax-payer liability is close to $3 Trillion depending on the source you cite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

GMs position will not improve over the long-term.

You the tax-payer will pick up the tab on the pension through the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, a private corporation authorized by Congress, like the Federal Reserve.

You currently owe $500 Billion on the underfunded S&P company pensions. Your total unfunded tax-payer liability is close to $3 Trillion depending on the source you cite.
In an economy of words, the future of the average US retiree is as part of a group of some 20-30 shoddily clad elderly people, barely subsisting with whittled teeth on government-distributed barley bread and beans in a rickety McMansion built circa 2005 converted to an old-age home.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM

262 posts, read 1,043,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'll never buy a GM product again, and I highly recommend to every one I meet that they don't buy one, either.

They screwed my 65 year old mom, you see....

(And your eyes just got 10 times bigger.)

My mom's truck used Dex Cool. Dex Cool has issues. It breaks down before it is supposed to. My mom had her coolant checked/fluids checked/car servced at a GM shop about 3 weeks before her water pump went kaput.

My best friend - a mechanic - (and, a family friend) changed her water pump out on a Sunday. She needed it for work the next day, you see...and had called him because her truck had overheated. When he came out he took a look at her cooling system and said "I can see why." The cooling system was basically full of brownish mud. It had destroyed the bearings in her water pump.

She took pictures of it and tried to get her money back from GM for the cost of the repair (100 bucks to my buddy for 4 hours of work...that is CHEAP for a mechanic) + the price of the water pump and associated crap...I'd imagine some blue glue and a water pump gasket.)

GM told her to shove it up her ass. GM said that she should've followed the maintenance guide and checked her fluids.

SHE HAS A FREAKING RECEIPT SHOWING SHE HAD HER CAR SERVICED AND FLUIDS CHECKED 3 WEEKS BEFORE IT FAILED. What GM tried to say was that the fluid was perfectly fine and that it changed into muddy colored oatmeal in 3 weeks.

Oh, come the f*** on.

Many emails later, she got tired of fighting and sucked up the cost. GM lost a customer from her, me, and the 100 people ...perhaps a 1,000 now...that I am saying this here... that were affected by this.

I will never buy a GM product. I've had two Hondas. A 2000 Accord, 140,000 miles and going strong, and a 2007 Civic.. They've both had minor issues. Taken care of fast, and with hell..Free donuts, a free ride home and back in the van and a "How can I help you Right the F now, sir?" every time I've had an issue.

F*** GM. F*** GM with a lot of passion.
GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool
Are you sure that she or someone else didn't add in a different type of coolant? Her problem sounds like that is what happened. If you mix dexcool with "regular" coolant, it creates the exact problem you stated. You need to have the entire system flushed out. I have never had any problems with my 95 firebird, 96 Trans Am, and 01 Camaro SS, and all of them came stock with dexcool. I also beat the living crap out of them on a daily basis. On the other hand, I wouldn't trust any coolant for 100,000 or 10 years, and changed mine at about half that interval.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,209,662 times
Quote:
You would think after so many years of building cars they would have learned how to build a good, reliable, and economical vehicle. Guess not. Looks like they are heading toward bankruptcy. Any thoughts? What happens to all those pensions that won't be insured because there isn't going to be enough money?

Lisa

no, they've been bankrupt for ages!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Lisa

the pensions are exactly the problem. legacy costs (pensions + healthcare for retired employees) are the reason that gm, ford, chrysler etc cannot compete with foreign automakers. they contribute a few thousand dollars to the price of every vehicle. as far as i am concerned, any generation which writes checks for itself to be paid in the future is speculating. with that speculation comes potential reward along with potential risk.

as far as i am concerned if any company can't pay its bills it should be wound up and sold whole or in pieces to the highest bidder. if people lose their pension tough. they just have to go and stay with their kids and pray that they brought them up well and taught them about family.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:44 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,494,364 times
any thoughts on what would happen to Delphi (GM's leading supplier) if GM did go bankrupt? Isn't GM suppose to be "bailing" Delphi out of bankruptcy? it is confusing... how can one bankrupt company help another?

Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Now you have older union memebers that are selling out you8nger workers so that they can get a retirement deal. Watch that show on GM really was iny6eresting especailly in that workjers admitted that often they would ship[out cars and trucks to dealers knopwing that they had defects when times were good. That is exactly what ruined the brand;too many lemons.Delphi was a whole toher problems. I had a 89 truck and had numerous gemerator go out. On the original one there was basting media in the bearings. Sloppy work.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar5822 View Post
Are you sure that she or someone else didn't add in a different type of coolant? Her problem sounds like that is what happened. If you mix dexcool with "regular" coolant, it creates the exact problem you stated. You need to have the entire system flushed out. I have never had any problems with my 95 firebird, 96 Trans Am, and 01 Camaro SS, and all of them came stock with dexcool. I also beat the living crap out of them on a daily basis. On the other hand, I wouldn't trust any coolant for 100,000 or 10 years, and changed mine at about half that interval.

She's a little old lady who had the car serviced at the same dealership in her little old town ever since she bought the new truck. She had every receipt for each service required by her "little book" (the maintenance suggestion manual) going back to the initial purchase date. Nah....

My mom wouldn't even know how to unlock the radiator cap...nor would she try to figure it out. That's what mechanics are for.

If it did have the wrong fluid mixed in, then it wouldn't been a "GM Certified" mechanic that did it. So..hey...still their fault.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
any thoughts on what would happen to Delphi (GM's leading supplier) if GM did go bankrupt? Isn't GM suppose to be "bailing" Delphi out of bankruptcy? it is confusing... how can one bankrupt company help another?
in the scenario, gm would be bought out by private equity, management buyout etc..... perhaps it would be sold off in pieces. whoever buys the assets and tooling would probably be doing so to manufacture. they would probably renegotiate with suppliers like delphi and get things rolling again without the bloated legacy costs and golden parachute costs etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM

262 posts, read 1,043,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
She's a little old lady who had the car serviced at the same dealership in her little old town ever since she bought the new truck. She had every receipt for each service required by her "little book" (the maintenance suggestion manual) going back to the initial purchase date. Nah....

My mom wouldn't even know how to unlock the radiator cap...nor would she try to figure it out. That's what mechanics are for.

If it did have the wrong fluid mixed in, then it wouldn't been a "GM Certified" mechanic that did it. So..hey...still their fault.
I'm not sure how long ago this all took place, if you have any of that nasty fluid you might be able to get it analyzed to see if it had been mixed with regular stuff It seriously sounds like one of the mechanics did it, I wouldn't put it past them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics