Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:43 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Macy's and Dillards are great, but I like Dillards sales better.
We bought our son a Lucky brand watch which was discounted at Dillards from $ 125.- to $ 59.99...nice deal.

We went later to Macy's to check what the price would be there and to our surprise Macy was charging $ 135.- for the same watch and even a week later still no other discount that they offerend me 10% if I would take a Macy's credit card!
I live smack in the middle of 2 cities and one of the regions closed all their Dillard's. For Macy's watch for their sales and extra discounts... you can walk away with something for almost nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
We recently had a Kohls open in our area. Their prices seem high but every week they offer a two or three day sale. I wonder how they will do in this economy?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
CNN reported 10 companies were on death watch: Nortel, Chrysler, New York Times, AIG, K Hovnanian, Pier 1, Charter Communications, Sirius/XM, Fannie Mae and Rite Aid. It's according to some outfit called 24/7 Wall Street or something like that.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:42 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
We recently had a Kohls open in our area. Their prices seem high but every week they offer a two or three day sale. I wonder how they will do in this economy?
Kohls is likely to come out of this smelling like a rose. Apparently, they have cash on hand and are buying up properties and negotiating long term leases on the cheap. We got our first Kohls a few years ago and I LOVE shopping there!

Kohl's, AT&T could be stronger when recession ends

Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
CNN reported 10 companies were on death watch: Nortel, Chrysler, New York Times, AIG, K Hovnanian, Pier 1, Charter Communications, Sirius/XM, Fannie Mae and Rite Aid. It's according to some outfit called 24/7 Wall Street or something like that.
I think Chrysler is finished. Just a mop up and selling off of assets. Probably will be a good benefit to the other two.

Pier 1 has been on the ropes various times for years but seems like a cat with nine lives. I personally like the store.

Rite Aid may be the victim of over-capacity in the drug chain business. There has been such a proliferation of stores the past decade, it seems they can't all survive.

New York Times may follow the other big newspapers into the abyss.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,856,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Kohls is likely to come out of this smelling like a rose. Apparently, they have cash on hand and are buying up properties and negotiating long term leases on the cheap. We got our first Kohls a few years ago and I LOVE shopping there!

Kohl's, AT&T could be stronger when recession ends
I have to say my wife and I did all of our clothing purchases for Xmas at Kohls and were very happy to see very low prices. I did not even shop at Macys this season. It was all about Kohls.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
I predict Sears, Office Depo and K-mart. All have had terrible customer service for years and carry items that can be purchased at a number of other places.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I think Chrysler is finished. Just a mop up and selling off of assets. Probably will be a good benefit to the other two.

Pier 1 has been on the ropes various times for years but seems like a cat with nine lives. I personally like the store.

Rite Aid may be the victim of over-capacity in the drug chain business. There has been such a proliferation of stores the past decade, it seems they can't all survive.

New York Times may follow the other big newspapers into the abyss.
Rite Aid was a crummy employer when I was in college. No benefits and terrible pay. Even the managers earned less than $600 a week and they worked 60 hours a week to keep their jobs.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Rite Aid has been in trouble for many years. I can't believe that it is still around.

10 year stock history: One-year history:
Attached Thumbnails
Retailers that will go bankrupt in early 2009-rite-aid.png   Retailers that will go bankrupt in early 2009-rite-aid-year.png  

Old 01-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I predict Sears, Office Depo and K-mart. All have had terrible customer service for years and carry items that can be purchased at a million other places.
I would not be surprised. They hire people who have no people skills and pay them almost nothing. Sears employees work solely on commission and they even robe each other for commission sales. Forget about giving their people medical and dental benefits because their just not worth it. Let these retailers die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics